Page 1 of 2
So they say guitar is one of the most easiest instrument to learn. Right now I am reading a Jamorama book. I am Currently at around page 20 of beginner's.

Currently trying to memorize and play these chords: D, A, E, G, and C which are all majors.

It's so bloody hard switching chords, there is like a 2-3 second pause inbetween chord switching for me.

Maybe I am starting out wrong? Why would the book tell me how to make chords first thing? I have read on here that learning and practicing scales should be the very first thing I should practice on.

Also about GUITAR TUNING. Holy crap this is the only thing that gets me so frustrated. I CANNOT tune my guitar, I always have to get my dad to tune it for me. I already broke the high E string (#1 string). THis is a 30 dollar acoustic guitar I am practicing on. I am not sure if I should purchase a better one for a lot more expensive price.
everyone starts at rock bottom. dont bother rushing. trust everyone here, and trust jimi hendrix, it takes time and dedication.
e -------15^1-
b ----13-------
g -14----------
Should I buy one of those guitar tuners that will tune my guitar for me? It will work on acoustic guitars right ? I am not sure how these things work.

Or am I stealing learning experience from this tuner device ?
Quote by a Peyote Coyote
trust everyone here

Not everyone....

And don't worry, switching chords is impossible for every new guitar player. Just practice slowly, and getting mad/rushing doesn't help at all.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Who says guitar is one of the easiest insterments?
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
try using extra light strings or even putting electric strings on the aucoustic get the action as low as possible. will make playing easier while you try to learn
learn a barre chord and thats a little easier once you get going. o yeah a def get an electric tuner
Quote by Shut up, David
You're gonna be slow at first, everyone is. Speed only comes with practice and time.

Exactly. You're not going to sound like Hendrix or Clapton as soon as you pick up a guitar. It takes time.

I don't think you need to replace your guitar. You have to get used to how the guitar sounds before you can tune it on your own. Again, that takes time... but the string breaking however, is just something you can't avoid.
Practice practice practice. Don't worry, we all went through this

Learn how to tune a guitar as well. Ask your dad to teach you.

-KR
Or just get an electric tuner. It works wonders.

They do work for Accoustic guitars, I use one now. It's saves a lot of time. But when you get more used to the sound you'll be able to tell if something is out of tune. Then you'll be able to tell which string is high and low... then eventually u won't need a tuner. I'm at the something's out of tune stage... and I've played guitar since Christmas.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Tell me about it.I'm struggling too.
God, people gotta be so mean!
Don't stop if I fall, and don't look back...Oh baby don't stop, bury me and fade to black.
Well I'll be heading out tomorrow to buy some new strings and a tuner.
Just make always take note of the shapes your fingers make when you want to play a certain chord. Start off with easy chords. Just try switching from Em to lets say an A. Simple enough.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Acoustic is a lot harder to learn than electric...but that's a good thing, because once you've got this one down, you'll find it a lot easier if you move on to an electric.
When I first learned chords, I had the same problem...and I actually gave up learnnig them for a month, thinking I'd go back to them, once I got better. Thing is, you NEED chords, there's no avoiding it. (No chords will limit you're playing, at any rate.) That's why your books says learn them first...and once you get it, other stuff will make more sense.
Your guitar should be fine for now, but just don't give up on it. And keep in mind that a $30 guitar probably isn't the best quality, so it's going to affect your sound (and playability probably). Once you get the basics and decide that guitar is definately for you, you'll want to invest in a better instrument...there are plenty of lower end--but quality--guitars around that aren't expensive.
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
It's going to take you a while to get good. 2-3 seconds for a chord change isn't that bad. It took about 10 minutes when I was first learning the D chord. Keep at it, man.

As for the tuning problems, get this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-GA30-GuitarBass-Tuner?sku=210526

It will help alot.

Get some new strings too. The strings you have on now might be losing their tuning because they're old.

Keep at it.
Awesome, when I went to the guitar store the guy recommended me that same one you linked (GA-30).
It's good that your getting books and guidance when your just starting.
Guitar is DEFENITALY not the easiest instruments to learn, but chord changes will come to you more as you play, it'll just take a while.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
What is the easiest instrument to learn?

I would say piano (i wouldn't really know though) just because everything is in a nice tidy row with all the sharps color coded.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I'd have to think drums are one of the easier instruments to learn. But I wouldn't know.
easiest instrument...the recorder? lol

I don't know where you'd get that the guitar is one of the easiest. I know quite a few people who couldn't even get past sounding a fretted note (including me, sadly, 6 years ago:/ so much wasted time!)
^that's not really an instrument, because no ones like,

"hey I play the triangle"

they would do all the percussion (like a xylophone)

I'm sticking with piano, because drums require actually having timing, with anyone else, you just follow the drummer.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

when i started buddy i was so slow...
My Kit:
Gibson Les paul double cut away
Yamaha FG720S acoustic
Line
Quote by theusedsk8er
did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Not true at all. Unless you play the C major scale, all the other scales use black keys too. The white keys are all the standard notes, no sharps or flats. Where do you get that the E major scale has no sharps or flats?

E major scale: E F# G# A B C# D# E

Try playing that on the white keys. Noob.

Quote by alex_haeni
Guitar is DEFENITALY not the easiest instruments to learn

^ What he said. Guitar is not one of the easiest instruments to learn. It is somewhat simple. However, it's not even close to easy to learn. It's probably one of the hardest instruments to master, as well.
I put of learning chords too. =/ I just recently got around to them, and still i haven't bothered to learn their names . I just know their shapes and can transition like nothing.
͏͏͏
۩۩۩۩۩۩۩Ƒyre Ðeity۩۩۩۩۩۩۩

Quote by Here_is_no_why

"Hey Mike, did your mom have a C section when she gave birth to you? Because I wanna make sure she's tight before I bang her."
LEARN YOUR CHORDS

Do exactly what you are doing now and get your chord switching and rythym down to a tee.

Then pick up your pentatonic and major/minor scales.

Best thing you will ever do for yourself is find a guitar teacher. Wether it be your dad or a pro, do that ASAP.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
Quote by FalloutK
I'd have to think drums are one of the easier instruments to learn. But I wouldn't know.

Oh so wrong. You must have excellent coordination to play drums along with a pinpoint sense of timing and a feel for the music you drum to. I'd say it's one of the harder instruments to learn.
i think either the bass guitar or the drums is the easiest instrument to learn... drums you can basically "feel" your way around... i think piano is harder to play then guitar but that might just be because i've forgotten some of how hard it was to start playing guitar.
Decide do you want to seriously learn guitar and if you do buy something better.
And the beginning is hardest part .
Quote by theusedsk8er
did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.
You either a) have no clue what a major scale is, or b) don't play piano.

Probably both.
For the musicly inclined every instrument can be easy to start. Every instrument is difficult to master.
50th Anniversary American Deluxe Strat 3-tone Sunburst
Crate XT120r Amp
Epiphone Valve Jr. w/ Jensen P8r
Boss DS1
Digitech RP300 MultiFX
^lest we forget the triangle?

but yeah, drums are definitely hard, the whole moving your arms and feet in a coordinated fashion thing is pretty much impossible for me. . .

Maybe the harmonica is easiest?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

Quote by FalloutK
Should I buy one of those guitar tuners that will tune my guitar for me? It will work on acoustic guitars right ? I am not sure how these things work.

Or am I stealing learning experience from this tuner device ?

what the hell happened to good ol tunin by ear cant anyone do it anymore.

but if i were you i would by a tuner that cost more than your guitar does.
Guitar is definently not the easiest instrument to learn. Honestly I think it is one of the hardest. The sax and clarinet was a thousand times easier.
For chord changes, move all of your fingers at once, not one at a time. Even if it's a slow process at first, moving them all at once is very beneficial for your playing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
there's no easiest or hardest instrument actually, just all between that level.
xeasiest[ - easy - intermediet - hard ]- xhardest.

but speed is the hardest thing... you need to maintain speed, keep on tracks, too much tension will decrease your accuracy and speed. Still too much too understand, lets say, can anyone go on 16th note at 300bpm... impossible though.
easy to learn but hard to master
Page 1 of 2