So yeah, my next purchase after I upgrade my guitar will be a JCM800 212 combo of some sort.

I'm looking to play modern rock, and some metal (Alterbridge).

I was thinking about just buying a Mesa Dual Recto, but they're a tad bit expensive...

I'm looking to get an 800 on ebay for around 800 USD. However, I don't know whether to shoot for a reissue or a vintage one. I hear the early ones are much better, but how are they better? Do they sound different (tone wise, gain wise, what?) or is the sound quality just better? I wanted to know if they had a vintage tone to them or not, because I don't want vintage tones. They'd be nice to have on occasion, but I'd prefer the more modern sounding model. Any suggestions?
the main reason people buy old ones is because they are vintage. thats it. the sound is the same really. but from what i can tell those olds one must have been built really well, i know someone who's had one since the first year of production and it still works fine. he's only ever had to change the tubes.

as for tone. i'd probably avoid it if you want modern tones. even my DSL isn't really modern enough for me.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Well, I plan on playing it before I buy it. I might go for a 900 if it's not modern enough.

I'm not talking death metal or hardcore. The hardest I'll be wanting to go is Alterbridge tone.

The Dual Recto's just aren't versatile enough for me (or so I hear). I want to be able to play lighter stuff and heavy stuff..

I really like Story of the Year's tone, and I hear they use JCM 800s as of now (At least the lead guitarist). And I like Lit as well, and I read somewhere he uses vintage Marshall's to record and play live (Not sure which model, but I'm guessing the JCM 800).
yeah. obviously the more you crank it, the more gain you get, the more modern you can make it. but still. i'd go for the 900.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
THe 900 is a bit thin for my taste........
THe 800 CAN DO MODERN with an OD ped....... heck I've played it out loud without an attenuator and got a Metallica tone !
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
the reissue is only the 2203 head so if you wanted a combo you have to go with one from the 80's...... if you want more bite and gain look into the 2210 and 2205 models and their combo's
The 2210 is the 100 watt combo rite ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
^no, the 2210 is a 100w head, here are the models

JCM800
2203- 100w, master volume, single channel, head
2204- 50w, master volume, single channel, head
2210- 100w, split channel, head with reverb
2205- 50w, split channel, head with reverb
4010- 1x12 combo version of 2204
4103- 2x12 combo version of 2203
4104- 2x12 combo version of 2204
4210- 1x12 combo version of 2205
4211- 2x12 combo version of 2210
4212- 2x12 combo version of 2205

*for you I would reccomend the models in red
Oh yeah, thx

I love that one, it has two channels, and a REVERB !!!

Keep the faith, baby!!