So last year i got a Roland Micro Cube for Christmas, and for my birthday i got a Gibson Les Paul Standard. After reading Dave_Mc's "The 10 Commandments of the Electric Guitar," the first commandment is to not play an expensive guitar through a cheap amp. I then did some research to see how much my parents paid for the amp, and its about $130. So now that i think i need a new amp, what kind would go with my guitar? Lol my moms not gonna be happy with getting a new amp after only a year ("whats wrong with the one you have now!?!?!??"). Anyway, I was thinking of looking at some Marshalls because thats what i always see the pros using them with their Les Pauls. I mainly play classic rock.

Thanks
+1 jcm88 or 900
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
i agree with your mom, stick with what you've got, its an insult to them to go buy something new after one year, especially when they just bought you another guitar. its not like you play pro or something and who cares what some guy's "10 commandments" say, you can make it sound good with a pedal if you dont like how it sounds right now. thats just my opinion though..
your parents must be ****ing loaded. A Gibson For your birthday and a brand new amp for Christmas. Spoiled Douche.

Jk.

Uhh... Well, if you can splurge, get a Framus Setup... they run about 7000 dollars but their ****ing amazing. Otherwise yea... 5150 or JCM88. I also like some of the LINE 6 models but alot of people around here say neighh.....
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
lol im not that rich...$7000 is rediculous

edit: i see what youre saying, Necronomicon, i know im not pro, i just dont think the amp is doing the guitar justice.
A Framus: $7000?!?!?

What are you smoking?

It's all up to you. If you're happy with the tones of the amp you have, there is no need to upgrade. It is all up to you. If your tone is lacking, and you're looking for more, then by all means upgrade.

A marshall JCM800 sounds like it would be up your alley.
JCM800 or a 900. its been a year. a year is a long time. seriously man a year after i got my first electric i got my DSL. half a year after my parents bought me a electric starter kit i bought a RG. a year is a long time.

are you happy with the sound of your cube?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Your parents bought you a $2200 Gibson Les Paul Standard FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY?!?!

You lucky bastard!

As for the amp, it just depends on if YOU'RE happy with the sound your getting. Like me, even though I have an MG, I'm happy with it because it does what I need it to. I'm not playing for a living right now, so I don't need a $2000 tube amp.

If your happy with your current amp, why upgrade?

If you aren't happy with it, however, I also suggest the Marshall DSL's and TSL's.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by MadMudgeN
I also like some of the LINE 6 models but alot of people around here say neighh.....

I agree. The more expensive Line 6 amps are pretty nice. The Flextone isn't a bad amp at all for the money. The Vetta is better than a lot of tube amps out there. People that say all Line 6 amps suck are just a-holes jumping on the bandwagon. There seems to be whole lot of that around here. If every guitar player listened to all the bandwagoners on here, Roland Cubes and Vox Avt's would be the only combo amps anyone would buy.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
The Vetta is great . But you can get better amps on that budget......

I recommend Marshall 800s...... Peavey JSXs......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
JCM 800 or Traynor YCV combo (Traynors are cheaper, and as such, will not be as good. But, you can find smaller ones around 20 Watts that'll offer you the tone you're looking for).

I'd suggest a Traynor only if you're not playing with other people. For gigs and band usage, you'll need 30-40+ Watts of tube power. Anything below 30 probably won't cut it. Do some research on the amps people recommend here, then go play a bunch at GC and see what you think.

Remember: Tube amps need to be cranked to get the nice tone people drool over. Although, they sound better than SS amps at low volumes as well.
Quote by STPGuitar311
I agree. The more expensive Line 6 amps are pretty nice. The Flextone isn't a bad amp at all for the money. The Vetta is better than a lot of tube amps out there. People that say all Line 6 amps suck are just a-holes jumping on the bandwagon. There seems to be whole lot of that around here. If every guitar player listened to all the bandwagoners on here, Roland Cubes and Vox Avt's would be the only combo amps anyone would buy.

But, it's true...

The clips I've heard of the Spider II are sad. Someone did a fade to black cover with a spider II, the tone was horrid.. The playing was fine, but the tone just doesn't cut it on those amps.
^In other words....... too digital

Keep the faith, baby!!
^Yep.

I myself am going to check out a JCM800 soon. I hear they're very versatile, I love the clips I've heard of them, and I loved the tone I got out of JCM800 modeling units that I've played with.

If you really wanna find out what kind of amp you want, get some modelers from Musician's Friend (45 Day Return policy, gotta love it ) Play with it for around a month or less, depending on how long it takes you to make a decision, then return it. You'll find some amp models you like on there, maybe some effects you like. Once you figure that out, go to GC and see how the real amps compare to the modeled ones. Also, don't buy the cheap ones like Digitech RPs, those don't do justice.

That really helped me figure out what amps I liked, though. Hope it works for you too, if you decide to try it.

Oh, the only disadvantage to returning the modelers is shipping. But that's around 10 dollars depending on location/size/weight of the item, which is basically like renting high end gear for 33 cents a day. But that's nothing to your parents if they're throwing around 2 grand for your birthdays. :P
JCM 800 rocks.....

It's a Plexi with more meat !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
So threadstarter, what's your price range?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Oh yeah, how much is a BV300 ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

wow, it only took that long for someone to ask...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Thank you, I was wondering when someone would have the common sense to ask that, rather than just assume he can afford a framus.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by AC/DC10
So last year i got a Roland Micro Cube for Christmas, and for my birthday i got a Gibson Les Paul Standard. After reading Dave_Mc's "The 10 Commandments of the Electric Guitar," the first commandment is to not play an expensive guitar through a cheap amp. I then did some research to see how much my parents paid for the amp, and its about $130. So now that i think i need a new amp, what kind would go with my guitar? Lol my moms not gonna be happy with getting a new amp after only a year ("whats wrong with the one you have now!?!?!??"). Anyway, I was thinking of looking at some Marshalls because thats what i always see the pros using them with their Les Pauls. I mainly play classic rock.

Thanks

That was the noobest thing I've ever heard.
Quote by El Codyo
That was the noobest thing I've ever heard.

kinda true though

Les Paul+Marshall= Classic Rock
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
why dont you just upgrade your cube (if you like it) to a 30 or 60??
My Gear:

Ibanez Prestige 1570L
LH Fender Standard Stratocaster Arctic White
Ibanez Gax 70L
Roland Cube 30X
Vox V847 Wah
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal

RedSox are better than you.
Quote by JStone233
why dont you just upgrade your cube (if you like it) to a 30 or 60??

yea thatd be cool...but if you can spend around 1000 then look at marshalls and stuff...also, i tell this to everyone just cause of the experience at a guitar store in pennsylvania

CARVIN AMPS ARE AMAZING.
everyone of them(except the SX)
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Yeah the Legacy is very cheap and handy !!

Keep the faith, baby!!