Especially if you're at the point where you can shred, it's a very good idea to get into the habit of stretching a little before playing. No guitar player wants tendonitis, right?

My teacher showed me a few stretches, such as pulling your hands back for about 20 seconds each, then pushing them forward for about 20 seconds each. He also showed that it's a good idea to roll your neck around for about 20 seconds so you can stretch your neck.

Those are just a few examples of good stretching exercises that a guitar player should do before a long session, especially if you plan on starting off by shredding modes 3 notes per string.

Not sure if many people were aware of this tip, so I thought I'd just post this real quick.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." JOHN 3:16 NIV
man that might help me, cus I always get pains in my upper back (almost neck) and hand when I play, I'll try it. Thanks.
"The Day that I die is the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar" - Bradley Nowell of Sublime

R.I.P- 1996
Hey that quote in ur sig ain't by any "Sam Johnson". lol. That's Hunter S. Thompson, buddy. I must ask tho, who is this proposed Samuel Johnson? Is he Samuel Jackson's bastard son or sumthing? lol.
It's actually a misconception that you should stretch before playing. Cold muscles are more likely to tear or injure when under stress. Stretching is an important part of not injuring yourself -- but it's important to warm up first, so you don't actually hurt yourself.

"Warm up" in this sense shouldn't be very hard, 10 minutes of a few chords and scales is plenty; as long as you've used your hands before you start stretching.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
I sometimes stretch after warming up a bit.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

I do it sometimes. I warm up doing the chromatic scale slowly, then I take a break for a little bit and start up again.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
i do it. It makes my hands feel like they have been playing the guitar for about 30mins or somthing and move free'r
Ever since watching John Petrucci's rock discipline, I can't play without stretching.
Quote by mikeman
Ever since watching John Petrucci's rock discipline, I can't play without stretching.

........i stretch even when im not playing or doing anything remotely close to playing. its a sweet dvd isn't it?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
usually before i play guitar everyday i do ascending and descending scale runs for about 15 min. to warm up.
I have the John Petrucci DVD also, and stretching has become an essential part of warming up for me before a band practice or a gig. If I go in cold and start playing, about halfway through my hands are aching. Then you stretch them and it's like "AAAAUUUGGGGHHH!!!"
Quote by metal4all
its a sweet dvd isn't it?

It is as if you are staring into the face of god, and listening to the music of angels.
Quote by mikeman

agreed. I run through all of those stretches and the majority of the warm ups from that video. It's just like athletics for anyone who played sports. You don't stretch and your muscles will be stiff and rigid, but once you've stretched out your loosened up and ready to go. Same theory applies to the guitar.
Quote by Shredlet
Cheers Sinister that was really helpful a Dime-point to you!

"Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem."
Before each practice, I run 3 miles, do 10 sets of jumping jacks, and stretch out every muscle in my body (double for those in my arms and hands).

all joking aside though, I have an aweful habit of cracking my knuckles, good ol artharitis (sp) will take it's toll one day.
I never used to stretch until after I broke my hand in a sports injury.

Then I had to, or it would cramp up and get bad.
Yes, i stretch and warm-up correctly. I also WARM DOWN... which i've never heard of other people doing..
Quote by btbam8614
Before each practice, I run 3 miles, do 10 sets of jumping jacks, and stretch out every muscle in my body (double for those in my arms and hands).

all joking aside though, I have an aweful habit of cracking my knuckles, good ol artharitis (sp) will take it's toll one day.

The first half isn't a bad idea. It will get the blood flowing in your body, and get you more mentally alert (assuming, of course, you're in shape enough to run 3 miles). Some of you may have noticed that I'm a big fan of regular breaks during your practice session; when you break is just as important as when you practice. Doing some very light excersize so that your body doesn't completely cool off is a good idea.

The second half is another urban legend. There's no sound evidence that cracking your knuckles causes arthritis... oddly, though, I've noticed the more I use my hands, and the more excersize they get, the less I need, or even want, to crack my knuckles. YMMV.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club