Hi...I've been playing guitar for 7 years, and I'm 16 years old. I used to try to learn songs and stuff like that...but it got boring and I'd always forget the songs, so I started to make my own stuff. As my skill has improved I've created more and more songs, but thats rather beside the point. Anyways, I've got about 17-20 songs, I'd say about 14 are pretty solid that I spent a lot of time and thought on. Since I only have the music to entertain me, I've tried to make it as complicated as possible, and tried to repeat as little as possible.

First question: Will my intricate(I'm trying not to blow my own horn here) song structure make it hard for a singer to put lyrics on top?

Continuing with the story...I used to have a band but we stopped playing because the drummer was going to college and the bassists had a bad attitude in general. We got a few of my songs structured pretty well though, and it turned out pretty nice. However, I always felt like the songs were being created unnaturally, since I'd always come in with my own material and try to get others to put their stuff on it.

Second question: Is that a bad way to create music? Please explain to me how to get songs out of a freeform jam I've jammed before but never got any good solid material out of it. Also feel free to include how your band makes their songs

Also, I only had very few instances in my songs where I've needed a rythm guitarist. I once tried playing with a rythm guitarist in my shortlived band but I faced a dilemma; should i let him play all the time and make it sound cluttered(thats what happened IMO...maybe because of poor sound control) or only tell him to play where I want him to and be a jerk and make his band experience boring.

Third question: If I use rythm guitars very scarcely, how do you recommend I utilize the areas where I do use rythm guitarists in a concert situation?

Ive got a friend that I enjoy playing guitar with. Hes getting pretty good, and was a good friend of mine before he played guitar, so we have a pretty solid background.

Fourth question: To compromise the rythm guitarist situation, would it be appropiate for me to give a type of rule thats like "Whatever song you make, you choose what parts you play."

Finally, as I said before, I make a lot of my own songs. If I ever get a band together, I think we would be able to play all original material.

Fifth question : Is that ^ anything special? Do a lot of bands play original stuff? Or should i just say **** it and play mostly covers? Do people actually enjoy original songs being played?

SORRY! a lot of questions, and it was quite long, and maybe at points I sound full of myself, but I'd like to understand some of this. I am very-VERY- interested in starting a band, but I just have trouble working out some of the finer points. Sorry if I sound naive or stupid throughout that post, I asked some very basic questions, I hope you arent humiliated to even answer questions that noobish
Quote by Serrana
Hi...I've been playing guitar for 7 years, and I'm 16 years old. I used to try to learn songs and stuff like that...but it got boring and I'd always forget the songs, so I started to make my own stuff. As my skill has improved I've created more and more songs, but thats rather beside the point. Anyways, I've got about 17-20 songs, I'd say about 14 are pretty solid that I spent a lot of time and thought on. Since I only have the music to entertain me, I've tried to make it as complicated as possible, and tried to repeat as little as possible.

First question: Will my intricate(I'm trying not to blow my own horn here) song structure make it hard for a singer to put lyrics on top?

Nope. If he's half decent lyricist he will be able to put lyrics on the top of any structure of music. You could always try your hand at writing lyrics too, if you're really unsure a singer would be able to do it.

Quote by Serrana
Continuing with the story...I used to have a band but we stopped playing because the drummer was going to college and the bassists had a bad attitude in general. We got a few of my songs structured pretty well though, and it turned out pretty nice. However, I always felt like the songs were being created unnaturally, since I'd always come in with my own material and try to get others to put their stuff on it.

Second question: Is that a bad way to create music? Please explain to me how to get songs out of a freeform jam I've jammed before but never got any good solid material out of it. Also feel free to include how your band makes their songs

Freeform jams are just that; jams. Full songs very rarely come from them. What you can do though, is record the jams, because inevitably you'll play a few riffs that you think are good and can be used elsewhere. Then you've got something to work with.

Quote by Serrana
Also, I only had very few instances in my songs where I've needed a rythm guitarist. I once tried playing with a rythm guitarist in my shortlived band but I faced a dilemma; should i let him play all the time and make it sound cluttered(thats what happened IMO...maybe because of poor sound control) or only tell him to play where I want him to and be a jerk and make his band experience boring.

Third question: If I use rythm guitars very scarcely, how do you recommend I utilize the areas where I do use rythm guitarists in a concert situation?

Have the rhythm player play some harmony parts.

Quote by Serrana
Ive got a friend that I enjoy playing guitar with. Hes getting pretty good, and was a good friend of mine before he played guitar, so we have a pretty solid background.

Fourth question: To compromise the rythm guitarist situation, would it be appropiate for me to give a type of rule thats like "Whatever song you make, you choose what parts you play."

Yes, that's good, although don't make a spoken rule. Remember that rhythm players are entitled to play lead stuff too, if they can. If they write the song, they should play the parts they want to.

Quote by Serrana
Finally, as I said before, I make a lot of my own songs. If I ever get a band together, I think we would be able to play all original material.

Fifth question : Is that ^ anything special? Do a lot of bands play original stuff? Or should i just say **** it and play mostly covers? Do people actually enjoy original songs being played?

When you're jamming with people to find out whether or not you're musically compatible, it's probably better to play some covers together. When you're a fully functional band, learning a few covers isn't bad, but it's better to play original songs. You'll have more respect and credibility as musicians and writers.

Quote by Serrana
SORRY! a lot of questions, and it was quite long, and maybe at points I sound full of myself, but I'd like to understand some of this. I am very-VERY- interested in starting a band, but I just have trouble working out some of the finer points. Sorry if I sound naive or stupid throughout that post, I asked some very basic questions, I hope you arent humiliated to even answer questions that noobish

No problem, hope I was of some help.
Thanks a lot ^^ helps tremendously. And in response to the first question, I think i worded it wrong. I meant would he be able to put a vocal melody, or sing to it. Ive never worked with a singer, and I don't know how they go about it, but lyrics arent too hard. Its the vocal melody that i have trouble getting my mind around. Thanks though, your answer was good
Quote by Serrana
Thanks a lot ^^ helps tremendously. And in response to the first question, I think i worded it wrong. I meant would he be able to put a vocal melody, or sing to it. Ive never worked with a singer, and I don't know how they go about it, but lyrics arent too hard. Its the vocal melody that i have trouble getting my mind around. Thanks though, your answer was good

Oh, well even then, the point is the same. If they're a good singer then they'll be able to put a vocal melody line over the top.