I'm not sure if this has been asked before, butI have been playing bass for a while now. I like to consider myself average, if not a little above, but I just don' t know how to get more speed in my playing. I have been jamming with guys into writing quick parts, which I often write different lines to, but sometimes i like to double their notes and really push the bottom end. Are there any exercises or techniques that can help me play faster?
thank you
peace out,
Buster
Try Sheehan's three-finger picking.
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
Quote by bassmo_part2
Learn fast songs

Wow, great advice - you should be a teacher.

As i have said countless times before, speed is a by-product of accuracy. There is no point whatsoever in playing fast if the notes you are playing are not clean and accurate. With that in mind, your best friend is your metronome. Set your speed low, and play chromatic runs, with variations on fingerings: 1, 2, 3, 4...1, 3, 2, 4....1, 4, 2, 3... i think you get the picture. Do the same with scales, up and down, with different intervals. Boring? Yes. Effective? You bet. Make sure the speed you set your metronome at enables you to play CLEANLY. That is the key word here, not QUICKLY. Speed will come in time, dont worry. Once you are able to play at set tempo cleanly and perfectly without failure, up the tempo. Over a period of months, you will get to a very fast speed. There is NO shortcut to playing fast (just ask a guitarist how long it took them to learn to shred), repetition is the key. But if your repetition if sloppy and inaccurate, you are teaching yourself only how to play sloppily. DO NOT CONCENTRATE ON PLAYING FAST, ONLY ACCURATELY.

There is no shortcut to greatness, otherwise it wouldn't be so great.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
BassBitch has got it right. but you should learn to count 16th notes quickly, which can be hard for some.

I may do some practice.
Quote by Bassilo
Assuming from his nickname (666 part) he's a kid, 18 and below, wants to be "metal" and stuff. Playing "accurately", IMHO, seldom applies to these kinds of players. You want speed? Use alternative picking, or multi-finger technique.

What is speed if it sounds like sh*t though? Genre of music doesnt come into, neither does age, Bassilo. use whatever technique you want, but you have to be accurate and clean

edit: By your rationale, Burton was sloppy i suppose?

And whether you alternate-pick or all down picks..whatever, it still needs to be clean or it will sound like ****
Quote by Bassilo
Assuming from his nickname (666 part) he's a kid, 18 and below, wants to be "metal" and stuff. Playing "accurately", IMHO, seldom applies to these kinds of players. You want speed? Use alternative picking, or multi-finger technique.

You're right. I am under 18, but I actually just have that cuz i\I'm a Slipknot fan. Anyway, I am actually trying to pick up anything from AC/DC to Chili Peppers to, yes, metal. But I definitely want to play accurately, so I am going to go get a metronome. Thanks for the advice guys
Practice is the best way to develop this. I find the best way to develop speed is with a metronome. Most of the time, people try to develop speed, but they get very sloppy. So first off, practice with a metrenome of some sort.

What I find works, is taking a song, and starting at a certain marking. For instance, 70 beats for the quarter note. Then, I play that same thing up 5 beats until I can play it perfectly and on time. Then I move up to 80, etc. The most important part is, make sure you can play it PERFECTLY at that tempo before increasing the speed. Playing songs like "I Feel Love", "Right On Time", or "C'mon Girl" by RHCP are great songs to start with. A lot of Jaco too, like the harmonics in "Okonkole Y Trompa". Good luck!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
slipknot =/= metal, and although you might think of bassilo as close minded, i think he's absolutely right.

with a name like that, i'd have assumed not only what bassilo did, but also the slipknot fan aspect.

no offense bud, but theyre not great musicians (atleast not IN the band, outside, maybe), their message is stupid (with death metal/black metal its ok, because theyre atleast making good non poseur music), and its not a great idea to copy them.

if you really want good metal bass, listen to CC, Iron Maiden, early Metallica, Dream theatre (theyre prog metal tho, and they might be too hard for you. same goes with some IM and CC) those are a few examples. hang around the metal forum to get the gist of wats good metal and what isnt. but dont ever imply slipknot, LP, korn, or any other nu metal crap of the sort is anywhere near metal or they can and WILL eat you alive.
Who gives a sh*t what music the guy is into, he just wants some help on building his chops !
Quote by Applehead
Who gives a sh*t what music the guy is into, he just wants some help on building his chops !

i give a ****, and he should to, because if he's a classic rock guy, who would tell him to build up his tapping/slapping skills and use 4 fingers?

genre means a lot.
Quote by mangablade
slipknot =/= metal, and although you might think of bassilo as close minded, i think he's absolutely right.

with a name like that, i'd have assumed not only what bassilo did, but also the slipknot fan aspect.

no offense bud, but theyre not great musicians (atleast not IN the band, outside, maybe), their message is stupid (with death metal/black metal its ok, because theyre atleast making good non poseur music), and its not a great idea to copy them.

if you really want good metal bass, listen to CC, Iron Maiden, early Metallica, Dream theatre (theyre prog metal tho, and they might be too hard for you. same goes with some IM and CC) those are a few examples. hang around the metal forum to get the gist of wats good metal and what isnt. but dont ever imply slipknot, LP, korn, or any other nu metal crap of the sort is anywhere near metal or they can and WILL eat you alive.

if you REALLY want good bass listen to Atheist, Cynic, Martyr , Cryptopsy and Gorguts
Quote by StygianFury666
if you REALLY want good bass listen to Atheist, Cynic, Martyr , Cryptopsy and Gorguts

judging by the bands he listens to, i wanted to only include 1 "gruesome" band (CC), but yeah, i can vouch for atleast a few of those bands having good bassists (havnt listened to all of em)q
Quote by StygianFury666

Seconded.

Also check out Spiral Architect, Aghora, Watchtower and Sadus.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Practice is the best way to develop this. I find the best way to develop speed is with a metronome. Most of the time, people try to develop speed, but they get very sloppy. So first off, practice with a metrenome of some sort.

What I find works, is taking a song, and starting at a certain marking. For instance, 70 beats for the quarter note. Then, I play that same thing up 5 beats until I can play it perfectly and on time. Then I move up to 80, etc. The most important part is, make sure you can play it PERFECTLY at that tempo before increasing the speed.

Couldn't out it better myself. I do exactly that when I'm approaching something quite fast and technically difficult.