Page 1 of 2
Hy, is there a possibility that stickers influence the Sound of an Guitar?
Because it sounds, because the body swings, and these could distort the swinging, or am I just asking a stupid question?
Just wanted to know, before i do some Crap, thank you very much.
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
Quote by tongue untied
^ techincally they could dude

but if your guitars ****ty enough to put stickers on it- you wont know the difference

I guess they could if you put like, 20 stickers over your pickups... other than that, a few stickers won't really affect anything.
Quote by tongue untied
^ techincally they could dude

but if your guitars ****ty enough to put stickers on it- you wont know the difference

faggot of the year.
Goo Goo G'Joob
You will not hear much of a difference on an electric guitar but you will hear a difference on an acoustic. Also the change in tone will be greater if the guitar has a lighter or harder finish. So if the guitar has a poly finish the stickers won't hurt the tone as much as it would if the finish were Laquer.

as a side note, I've heard that the adhesive used in some stickers will hurt your lacquer finish.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by Saint Lennon
faggot of the year.

I agree with you

And would there be a problem if i pull them off?
Its from Ibanez, so the coulor should last.
Or what you think *?
\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
I read somewhere that its good to let the wood of the guitar breath and that anywhere that theres paint that you dont see, you should sand off (neck, pickup cavities, etc.). Putting stickers on the guitar wont help it breath so that may have some kind of effect.
Quote by Sebo
I agree with you

Dude... what is up with bad mouthing the people that are trying to help you???
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I read somewhere that its good to let the wood of the guitar breath and that anywhere that theres paint that you dont see, you should sand off (neck, pickup cavities, etc.). Putting stickers on the guitar wont help it breath so that may have some kind of effect.

If it's a poly finish, then the wood can't breathe anyway.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
If it's a poly finish, then the wood can't breathe anyway.

which is exactly what tongue untied was saying. That bastard...
Quote by Saint Lennon
faggot of the year.

You are wrong.

In theory, stickers change the tone, moreso on an acoustic than an electric. But, personally, I would never put any sticker on any guitar.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
they might affect the sound a little by distorting the sound waves as they travel through your wood....but it would be unnoticible......
just for future thought of everyone who says that guitars are like rocket science, theyre not. slightly changing the appearence and stuff dont have a dramatic effect on a guitar. now if threadstarter were to go around putting stickers over the pups and strings, yeah it would change the sound, but on the body, no it wont do much to it at all. im not trying to say that people on here dont know anything about guitars cause some of them do but from what ive seen most of them over think things. guitars are hard to learn but not hard to learn to mod. besides only thing stickers will do is f*ck up the finish if you pull them off.

besides what kind of busy bad ass luthiers who supposedly have a lot of clients that they need to "take care of" spend alot of their time on a free website trying to impress us kids with their vast knowledge of nothing?

i think the luthiers on most of these sites are nothing more then kids who want to be popular.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
by the way sorry for flaming your thread.

slap on some stickers and rock on.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by metalmilitia74
besides what kind of busy bad ass luthiers... ...spend alot of their time on a free website trying to impress us kids with their vast knowledge...

What kind of luthier would take advantage of the biggest guitar website in the world??? what kind of luthier would take advantage of a FREE site where he can show his work and demonstrate his knowledge thousands of people? You have to be kidding me! This place is big and it's free. Plus, where else do you go to talk shop?
do you like work for UG or summit?

If stickers do affect tone, it sure doesn't bother weezer's singer/guitarist
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
think about it, the guitar is resting on you as you play it, that would "muffle" the vibration of the guitar also, like a giant sticker or something. A sticker adheres to the body and being flexible, would possibly stop the vibrations even less than you would.
Saint Lennon , Sebo

**** you guys- apparently you know nothing at all about guitars. i said technically it could- he didnt say what type of guitar it was- therefore it could have bin an acoustic- and stickers on an acoustic greatly affect the tone

also- do a little research before you post man- maybe youll learn something, and not come out lookin like a douche to everyone who knows something about guitars
Quote by tongue untied
Saint Lennon , Sebo

**** you guys- apparently you know nothing at all about guitars. i said technically it could- he didnt say what type of guitar it was- therefore it could have bin an acoustic- and stickers on an acoustic greatly affect the tone

also- do a little research before you post man- maybe youll learn something, and not come out lookin like a douche to everyone who knows something about guitars

Seconded, dont be such dicks guys , tounge knows WAY more than you.
its gonna leave a nasty adhesive mark on it but you should be able to use a solvent and take it off. i know they use whatever solvent it is to take bumper stickers off of cars. i just cant remember the name of the stuff.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
not that i know of
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
yea, goo-be-gone and goo-gone will work fine, i used them to take off stickers from a friends when fixing up the body for him (shotty ibanez gax thing)

also if you want a definate answer to ur problem, put a sticker on and then play it then take it off if you dont like it...

PS. Im not trying to be a dick so...
Quote by metalmilitia74
just for future thought of everyone who says that guitars are like rocket science, theyre not. slightly changing the appearence and stuff dont have a dramatic effect on a guitar. now if threadstarter were to go around putting stickers over the pups and strings, yeah it would change the sound, but on the body, no it wont do much to it at all. im not trying to say that people on here dont know anything about guitars cause some of them do but from what ive seen most of them over think things. guitars are hard to learn but not hard to learn to mod. besides only thing stickers will do is f*ck up the finish if you pull them off.

besides what kind of busy bad ass luthiers who supposedly have a lot of clients that they need to "take care of" spend alot of their time on a free website trying to impress us kids with their vast knowledge of nothing?

i think the luthiers on most of these sites are nothing more then kids who want to be popular.

I'm in no way a luthier, i only work on guitars as a hobby at the moment. I am grateful that luthiers who do this for a living take the time to post on forums like these, the time and effort they put into answering questions and sharing there knowledge of the craft is what makes forums like these worth visiting. I know i have learned aheap from luthiers who post on forums and many others have aswell.

Saying "besides what kind of busy bad ass luthiers who supposedly have a lot of clients that they need to "take care of" spend alot of their time on a free website trying to impress us kids with their vast knowledge of nothing?" is stupid when they are here to help out, Especialy when there "vast knowledge of nothing" is alot more helpful and valued than some of the incorrect info you post.
Sure they may get a tiny amount of buisness or exposure from posting there work on the boards, but amount they get through here isn't going to be that great.

I don't see why people are bad mouthing people like tongue untied, he is one of the handful of people on these board whos accually knows what they are on about most of the time, sure his typing skills aren't first rate and he can be abit harsh and to the point, but atleast he knows what hes talking about and is willing to take the time to help people out on a regular basis.

Sebo- ibanez use a really thick finish, your sound is not going to be affected and the residue isn't going to harm the finish.
i ojnly post what other people wont. youll tell someone that the old tried and true method is the only way to do things. i tell them try new things. thats how new sh*t gets discovered. by people actually saying "f*ck it, im gonna do it any way. i know that its not "normal" but hey who gives a sh*t". thats what got guitars to where they are today was people doing something out of the norm.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
^the problem is that you disregard what has been done before and you disregard science.
Do you really think nobody has put stickers on their guitar before? We were saying what would happen because it?s already been done.
but how do you know what it will do? do you wear a little white lab coat and slap stickers on every single guitar all day long just to see if it will change the sound? no. no one knows what a guitar will sound like with sitckers on it because as all of you who "are so much smarter then me" have already said, every single guitar produced is different. just because of a finish on it or whatever doesnt mean that YOU know how it will sound. you dont know until oyu try it. thats what pisses me off about you people is that you think you know everything about guitars when in reality youve only done about 1/4 of it and only know about 1/2 of what youve done. until you try every single guitar ever made with and without stickers dont tell someone what works and what doesnt. you only know what YOUVE tried and what youve READ.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
If I stab my hand with a fork it will hurt. I don't need to stab myself to find out. Science tells me that when people get stabbed in the hand with a fork it hurts them. I've seen it happen too but I have never actually stabbed myself or anybody else with a fork. Sure there are some people that feel pain if they get stabbed with a fork but those people are few and far between. It?s much safer to just refrain from stabbing people in the hand with a fork.

Apply the same logic to guitars. There have been people to study this stuff. You don't have to do it to every guitar ever made just to find out what is going to happen.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 8, 2006,
trial and error my friend, trial and error. its how our world works the way it does, by trial and error. if he tries it and dont like it then HE learned something on his own. he didnt need some one a couple of years ago doing something similar to what hes doing and it failed for them, to try and tell him it wont work. you dont know that i dont know that. the only way HE will know that is if he tries.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by CorduroyEW
If I stab my hand with a fork it will hurt. I don't need to stab myself to find out. Science tells me that when people get stabbed in the hand with a fork it hurts them. I've seen it happen too but I have never actually stabbed myself or anybody else with a fork. Sure there are some people that feel pain if they get stabbed with a fork but those people are few and far between. It?s much safer to just refrain from stabbing people in the hand with a fork.

Apply the same logic to guitars. There have been people to study this stuff. You don't have to do it to every guitar ever made just to find out what is going to happen.

Are you actually comparing using oak as a tonewood with stabbing yourself with a fork!?

Surley it can't be that bad. I think it would make sense scince we need to stop using mahogony (so we don't all end up suffocating) and there is a lot of oak where i live anyway.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 8, 2006,
^No. That isn't what I was saying at all. I'm saying that you don't have to do something to know what is going to happen. Guitars are mystical and they are not random. They are governed by the laws of science and so we can apply what has been done, and our understanding of the materials used to determain what will probably happen. We don't always have to do it.
Quote by metalmilitia74
trial and error my friend, trial and error. its how our world works the way it does, by trial and error. if he tries it and dont like it then HE learned something on his own. he didnt need some one a couple of years ago doing something similar to what hes doing and it failed for them, to try and tell him it wont work. you dont know that i dont know that. the only way HE will know that is if he tries.

FFS BUD! IT IS TRIAL AND ERROR! SCIENCE HAS TOLD US THAT! A ****ING ****LOAD OF GUITARISTS HAVE PUT STICKERS ON THEM, THATS THE TRIAL, AND IF WE NOTICE AN ERROR (OR DIFFERENCE IN TONE) WELL THERE YOU ****ING GO.

**** i hate you.
Page 1 of 2