I've been playing bass for about 2 years, and I've just started to be fairly decent at slapping on the E string, but when I try to slap on the A, I always hit the E involuntarily. Any tips on technique that I could use?
Oh crap!
Muting the E with your fretting hand thumb will hinder your ability to fret properly - it is a shortcut which i do not recommend. Your thumb should be on the back of the neck, generally behind your 2nd finger. Slapping is no different.

The better way to mute is with the palm of your slapping hand and, as Delerium said, have your hand parallel to the strings.

A good practice is to slap the E and A and pop the D and G, all as OPEN notes. Use your left hand to mute the strings before you play the next one. But DO NOT fret a note. This will get you good at muting, and teach you how to palm mute the E string. Do be fooled...it's not easy and takes practice. Getting good at slapping takes months and months, even years for proper, flawless technique. Take your time, do things right and you will bass-slapping mofo in a couple of years.

To many people put emphasis on power when slapping - a good slap bass player needs the slightest of movements to sound a note. There is another thread where someone mentions Bruce Lees "One Inch Punch" and this is a good example of generating power without massive movement, much like slapping.

When i have some time, i am going to write up a lesson on learning how to slap. There isn't a good one here - not what i would call good anyway.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Last edited by bassbitch at Jul 7, 2006,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198631

one of the very first things it goes into is this problem. We need a FAQ... I'll get to it tonight probably.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
hope it works out good. and it can be something we can add to.

Nice avatar.

Alright, I learned accuracy by slapping each of my knuckles when I'm just sitting around. Just make a fist and slap the inner knuckles. Its uber cool.
What I do, is I mute the E string with the skin on my palm under my thumb while slapping the A and E strings. If you are slapping parallel to the string, you shouldn't have any problems. Tight string spacing can also make it a bit more difficult to mute other strings. Another reason why this happens to people, is because they are only moving their wrist when they slap. Slapping, to me, is a fluid motion between your elbow, wrist, and thumb. All three of those parts need to move in order to make a decent slap sound.

So, when you slap, try moving your wrist, and have the part of your palm under your thumb contact the lower string first. Then, continue the motion with your wrist and hit the upper string with your thumb. It takes practice to develop accuracy.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
^ Congratulations on your modship. Totally didn't see that coming
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
another way to do this that helps me other than muting the E string is to hold your hand so that your thumb is facing straight up and then kind of come down to the A string at an angle so you hit like the top corner or the string. imagine that there was a straight line coming off of your string at a perfect 90 degree angle from your bass, try coming down to the A string at about a 45 degree angle from the line perpendicular to the bass. that way you miss the E string and still get a solid hit on the A. this works if you want something to ring out on the E. I use it all of the time but its just a personal preference. just try out all different techniques and find one that works the best for you. hopefully that made sense and it can help you out. it was kinda hard to explain but i did the best i could.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Yertle
^ Congratulations on your modship. Totally didn't see that coming

I've always thought he was a pretty good guy, good job, Incubus.
Theres this canny good exercise which improves accuracy shat-loads, what you do is mute all the strings with your fretting hand then you start slapping each string in turn on the highest fret on your bass, obviously you start off slow then get faster, but if you build it up then its great for accuracy, it's awkward and i'm personnally crap at it, but it's dead useful, hope that helps
Quote by MastaBassist10
I've always thought he was a pretty good guy, good job, Incubus.

It was sarcasm, lol.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Another question for this topic.

I'm adjusting my slap technique to the parallel-to-strings attack style, but for some reason, I keep hearing harmonics when i hit the string. Any reason why? Any reason to stop it?
Quote by MX4Life
Another question for this topic.

I'm adjusting my slap technique to the parallel-to-strings attack style, but for some reason, I keep hearing harmonics when i hit the string. Any reason why? Any reason to stop it?

I never had that problemm, but all I can say is, add a little bit more attack, because the strings may not be hitting the frets hard enough, and therefore creating an artificial harmonic. I'm not sure, but that might be the problem.. also, try slapping closer to the neck if you don't already, cos artificial harmonics are often sounded around the pickups (on my bass, anyway)