I have a Crate GX15R right now and a Crate GX65 coming. I know its not the best amp but its what i could do on such short notice. Im planing to get some time in with my band so i baught a loud enough and used crate on ebay untill i get my final amp..

Ok this is my deal. I dont want a Vox or Roland amp. I would RATHER have a solid state amp over a tube amp because i would have to be uber carefull with tubes... they requier to much attention like my guitar's floyde rose (man i hate that thing...) Dime used solid state amps for the longest time i dont see why its so bad.

Tell me what you guys think. I dont want to be paying for tubes and changing them all the time, thats all im worried about.. am i better with a solid state amp?

My budget is 600 canadian.. And im willing to spend it on a amp head and get the cab later.

I have a Jackson DKMG. with emg hz's.. They will soon be changed Duncan invaders.

My pedals are:
Digitech Rp100a
Digitech Hyper Phase
soon have "DOD sustainer/compressor" and "Ibanez AD9 analog Delay".

There is a randall amp i like. "Randall RH150DG3" amp head.. But its a tube amp.

EDIT: oh yeah and the "Peavey ValveKing" amp head
Last edited by Andrewsonfire at Jul 7, 2006,
You want your own tone? Save up and go for a rack and mix and match preamps and poweramps to your hearts content.
I didn't read this alot but tube amps don't really require any work...
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Tube amps don't need a lot of work. Just let em warm up before you play, and change em every year or 2.
Quote by tryhardslash
and plus you like blink 182 which prooves you are dumb and have no taste in music

you just follow trends

What a tard...
Quote by seljer
You want your own tone? Save up and go for a rack and mix and match preamps and poweramps to your hearts content.

See.. dont know what your talking about haha.. But i know i have to start with a new amp.
Quote by JaYB06
Tube amps don't need a lot of work. Just let em warm up before you play, and change em every year or 2.

Thats not so bad. Tell me, If i play loud on a tube amp will they break?? is it bad on the tubes?

EDIT: warm up? how long does it take to warm up?
How much usd=600 canadian?..Well for 500usd you could get a marshall halfstack.But i dont know how much that would be in canadian
Quote by OneloveSkater
How much usd=600 canadian?..Well for 500usd you could get a marshall halfstack.But i dont know how much that would be in canadian

.. maybe a marshall mg half stack...
Quote by Andrewsonfire
See.. dont know what your talking about haha.. But i know i have to start with a new amp.

these type of things: http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/mattthorpe/guitarrack.jpg

You can get a bunch of different preamps (which have many many channels and various MIDI switching capabilites) and power amps which allows you to combine different things together. eg: Marshall preamp into the low end of a Mesa Boogie poweramp....

You can get one of the old ADA preamps on ebay for $200 or so and they work great for 80s metal type tones. I see the Marshall JMP1s going for around $480.

Power amps cost a bit more though (I think around $800ish?).

You can also put various other things in there like effect proccessor, tuners, graphic EQs, studio compressors, etc...

though I you like the Randall you mentioned in your first post then buy it there is hardly much more maintaince you have to do with a tube amp and if the pros use them night after night putting way more stress on them then you probably would I don't see where the problem is. Waiting a minute for it to warm up isn't that much of a hassle, and tubes can easily last you a couple of years.
edit: I see that the Randall is a hybrid amp, thats not a tube amp, you don't have to worry about any of the above... except that you probably won't have the tone of a real tube amp :/
Last edited by seljer at Jul 7, 2006,
Quote by seljer
these type of things: http://www.onlinerock.com/musicians/mattthorpe/guitarrack.jpg

You can get a bunch of different preamps (which have many many channels and various MIDI switching capabilites) and power amps which allows you to combine different things together. eg: Marshall preamp into the low end of a Mesa Boogie poweramp....

You can get one of the old ADA preamps on ebay for $200 or so and they work great for 80s metal type tones. I see the Marshall JMP1s going for around $480.

Power amps cost a bit more though (I think around $800ish?).

You can also put various other things in there like effect proccessor, tuners, graphic EQs, studio compressors, etc...

though I you like the Randall you mentioned in your first post then buy it there is hardly much more maintaince you have to do with a tube amp and if the pros use them night after night putting way more stress on them then you probably would I don't see where the problem is. Waiting a minute for it to warm up isn't that much of a hassle, and tubes can easily last you a couple of years.
edit: I see that the Randall is a hybrid amp, thats not a tube amp, you don't have to worry about any of the above... except that you probably won't have the tone of a real tube amp :/

Yes i was wondering that.. hmm.. What about that valve king??
Quote by Andrewsonfire
Yes i was wondering that.. hmm.. What about that valve king??

Its a tube amp, albeit a low end one. Its got a good tone if classic rock is your thing. I don't think it has enough gain for the heavier stuff, but an overdrive pedal should help that.

If metal is your thing for about $600 (US) you might be able to find a used Peavey 5150 head (or even the combo, which will be more than loud enough ) which will have all the metal tone you need
Quote by seljer
Its a tube amp, albeit a low end one. Its got a good tone if classic rock is your thing. I don't think it has enough gain for the heavier stuff, but an overdrive pedal should help that.

If metal is your thing for about $600 (US) you might be able to find a used Peavey 5150 head (or even the combo, which will be more than loud enough ) which will have all the metal tone you need

Cool thanks for your help man