Page 1 of 2
Why does everyone say that all ss amps suck get a tube.For tune amps dont you have to wait for it to warm up?When solid states you just turn it on and play.Doesnt a tube amp just mean its louder?I need a new amp but i dont have 1000+ for a stupid tube amps..What are some good 30-100 watt amps that have good cleans and really good metal distortion(more metallica/trivium metal than COF/Dimmu borgir metal)??My budget is up too 300usd and i dont need a superloud amp..My crappy 10watt amp i have right now is too loud so i dont need a tube.
hmm, if your determined to go ss, then try something along the line 6 route.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
tube amps sound better just because of the way the circuit breaks up, you cant get that tone from an ss
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
if they sound better than why arent all ss amp companies out of buisness??If NOONE buys them.\ because they "suck"
two words: they're cheap
That means that people with less cash can buy them. Also, most people start playing with a ss amp.

Edit: Also, if a company makes SS amps, then usually, they also make some sort of tube amp. Not always though.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Then how come ive never seen a gig with a tube amp?Theres "always" a half/full stack..there has never been tube amp at a gig.
Usually, these are tube amps. The amp is connected to one/two/more cabs. A SS amp can also be connected to a cab, so that they look the same from a distance.
Edit, for example, this amp:
http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=52340
looks similar to this amp:
http://www.guitarstrings.co.uk/cart/product.asp?key=51875
But the first is tube(i hope) and the seccond isn't.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by AndyPandy at Jul 7, 2006,
sh*t, so they are, not any more though!
Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by OneloveSkater
Then how come ive never seen a gig with a tube amp?Theres "always" a half/full stack..there has never been tube amp at a gig.

....wow. Tube amps can be in stack form as well, dude. The reason many prefer tube is because for one, they have a much warmer sound. As someone else said, the more you crank them up, the better they sound. Pretty much the opposite of most SS amps. Therefore, it's logical that tubes=better for gigging SS=better for practice.
Quote by OneloveSkater

lol u need to do ure research my friend
Tube amps = warm cleans at high volumes and great sound

SS = ....umm...crappy sound at any volume... and that's really it
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
SS = ....umm...crappy sound at any volume... and that's really it

That's not true at all, some solid states sound good, obsviously they won't at high volumes, but you cannot generalize and say all solid state amps sound like crap. However, I do agree with the tube amps, they do sound better as the volume is increased. I even asked my dad (who does not play any instruments) and he was able to explain why a tube amp is better, basically a tube amp picks up a longer range of the note, while a solid state picks up pieces of a note. So, clearly tube amps are better, and sound better at louder volumes, but you can't say that all ss are bad.
Alright, here's a bit more of a rational critique:

SS amps and tube amps at low volumes produce sound waves that more or less look exactly the same. If you get a quality SS amp and a decent tube amp, a person in a blind test would be hard pressed to tell the two apart. High volume is where it makes a difference. When pushed, a SS amp produces what's called a "square wave," a soundwave with jagged peaks and valleys rather than the "sine wave" produced by a tube amp, which has smooth, round peaks and valleys. Square waves are perceived as harsh and shrill by the ear, whereas sine waves are perceived as warm, colorful, and loud. Which is also where you get the volume difference -- tube amps, when pushed, produce harmonics (that SS amps don't) that sound louder to the human ear.

And to answer your question, Randall makes some decent SS gear for metal. If you're playing more general rock, Fender makes some good solid state gear, too (not the FM series). If you want modeling, check out Roland Cube or Vox Valvetronix (AD50VT or higher only). You could also get a small tube amp for around $400, so you don't have to break the bank.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by pierce34celtic
That's not true at all, some solid states sound good, obsviously they won't at high volumes, but you cannot generalize and say all solid state amps sound like crap. However, I do agree with the tube amps, they do sound better as the volume is increased. I even asked my dad (who does not play any instruments) and he was able to explain why a tube amp is better, basically a tube amp picks up a longer range of the note, while a solid state picks up pieces of a note. So, clearly tube amps are better, and sound better at louder volumes, but you can't say that all ss are bad.

Well you know what I mean. Tube amps just kick the crap out of most SS. It's just how it is.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Tube amps also have a feel to them, like the attack is different and overall it feels more organic to play on one, but then again the highest level of solid state that i've played on is a cube and it wasn't entirely bad
if you into metal you have to go tube no queston, pinch harmonics wont really come out well on a ss amp right and whats metal without a good squeel
SS are good for the $$$

But if you are professional or in a successful band.... you'll def go Tube!

Name one Professional guitar player who uses a SS on stage. Check out Guitargeek.com
Quote by MrSandMan
SS are good for the $$$

Name one Professional guitar player who uses a SS on stage. Check out Guitargeek.com

Funny you mention that....I was looking at an old GW the other day and they had an endorsement ad for Line 6 with the guy from Evanescence. Just one more reason why they're lame.
The guy that keeps saying tubes are better for cleans is stupid. SS are better for cleans cos tubes break up into overdrive at high volumes (reason why many blues guitarists use SS). Tubes have that crunchy distortion that sounds just not as good on SS.
^Huh? Tube cleans sound better to me. And SS amps break up at high volumes too. And most blues guitarists use tube amps, at least most that I'm familiar with. Jazz guitarists, on the other hand, use SS because tubes aren't efficient enough to get the clean volume they need. It is true that some SS amps have good cleans, but I don't believe for a minute that they are better than any tube fender clean.
Quote by MrSandMan
SS are good for the $$$

Static X uses MGs.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
Quote by angusyoungwanab
Static X uses MGs.

Wow! Those guys rock too... never would have guessed that they use a $299.79 amp.

The first professional I ever heard of that uses SS.
Quote by MrSandMan
SS are good for the $$$

didnt dimebag
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by OneloveSkater
My budget is up too 300usd and i dont need a superloud amp..My crappy 10watt amp i have right now is too loud so i dont need a tube.

So his 10W he has now is enough, i assume he just wants better sound. I have a Spider II, and has pretty good metal sounds, but the cleans arent good at all. I suggest this
my friend has the Cube 30 and its awesome. The Micro Cube should be plenty for you. (and its battery powered.)
/SG/
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming."
Quote by angusyoungwanab
Static X uses MGs.

yea but Static X sucks
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
That's how they got their band name. "Wow, guys, we sound like static times 10... I know, let's call ourselves Static X!"
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
That's how they got their band name. "Wow, guys, we sound like static times 10... I know, let's call ourselves Static X!"

ACtually, their guitarists name is Wayne Static
Actually, I couldn't care less, it was just a bad joke, but yeah, their music still sucks.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Inahrima
The guy that keeps saying tubes are better for cleans is stupid. SS are better for cleans cos tubes break up into overdrive at high volumes (reason why many blues guitarists use SS). Tubes have that crunchy distortion that sounds just not as good on SS.

Thast a load of BS. Case in point Fender Verb Series. Tube technology has advace since it has come out allowing the amp to function on two seperate channels. SS cleans break up at half volume due to clipping.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
Thast a load of BS.

+1

yea, you can take the headroom into account but a lot of people use like 200w tube amps for cleans. And its just the nature/science of tubes to sound different
Page 1 of 2