hey. i think the tubes un my dsl are dieing...

its lost its clarity. it used to be a display model for about a year, so the tubes are fairly old. after i went to my friends house and cranked it, its started to lose tone and clarity at lower volumes, like before it used to sound great at low volumes, i could get awesome metal sounds but now i'm flat out getting hard rock. its lost gain as well. i got the volume up to 4 on the master and it was still muddy (with the mids at 7 and the treble at 8, bass at 6) , and it used to be crystal clear. what the ****? are the power tubes dieing?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Yeah they usually last a few years then start to die. Get them replaced at your local shop.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Yes. n00b

Actually, it's your flux capacitor. You have to get your amp up to 88 mph and have it struck by lightning at precisely the same time and you'll get your gain back.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Yes. n00b

Actually, it's your flux capacitor. You have to get your amp up to 88 mph and have it struck by lightning at precisely the same time and you'll get your gain back.

Way to be a douche bag.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by JJK
Way to be a douche bag.

Way to miss the fact that joel completely knows I'm kidding by calling him a n00b
Hi, I'm Peter
hey dirk you're normally helpful. how bout some helpful advice. though that did make me laugh. alot.

EDIT: didn't see your post dirk. i guess the tube have got to be replace. what tubes would give my marshall a darker tone?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Dirk Gently
Way to miss the fact that joel completely knows I'm kidding by calling him a n00b

Oh.

And my name is Joel too. Weird.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by joel_grieve
hey dirk you're normally helpful. how bout some helpful advice. though that did make me laugh. alot.

EDIT: didn't see your post dirk. i guess the tube have got to be replace. what tubes would give my marshall a darker tone?

If you can rig a Marshall with 6L6s, that would definitely give you a darker tone. You'll have to check your owner's manual for compatibility, though (I love the hard wired bias on Boogies ) Otherwise, you're pretty much stuck with the "Marshall tone."
Hi, I'm Peter
well i dont have a manual. though i assume there is one on themarshall site. are mesa tubes any good? i only really have access to mesa tubes and electro harmonix tubes.

oh and other than the sound what tell tale signs are there of old tubes?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL201_401%20hbk.pdf

thats the site. can you make any sense outta that?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
oh and other than the sound what tell tale signs are there of old tubes?

There are a couple. First will be visual. Tubes that are good usually glow steady orange. Bad tubes will glow blue or change color or flicker or spark like a Jacob's ladder. Also, you can sometimes tell a bad tube by turning your amp on, warming them up, and then tapping on them with a pencil or your fingernail. If you hear noise when you tap, that tube is bad.
Quote by joel_grieve
http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/DSL201_401%20hbk.pdf

thats the site. can you make any sense outta that?

Ooooh...so it looks like you have EL84s, which are a different animal entirely from EL34s or 6L6s. Sorry, I don't think you'll be able to do anything about that. And Mesa tubes are awesome, in my experience. I've had the same ones in my Boogie with no problems for about 7 years.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 7, 2006,
well i actually think its pre amp tubes;
from the marshall site
'Other pre-amp valve related problems include; lack of volume, loss of bottom end, thinning of the sound and loss of all top-end frequencies.'

everything thats happened to me. i'll get some new, mesa. pre amp tubes.
oh and jacobs ladder?

EDIT: i just ruend it on and sat and watched it for a minute or so. from what i can tell theres a few tubes that aren't lighting up fully. not glowing orage either. pre amp tubes (though i'm not sure what the pre or power). i'll do the pencil tap thing tomorrow. can you explain that to me?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Last edited by joel_grieve at Jul 7, 2006,
Ever see old horror movies, especially ones about Frankenstein's monster, when they have the electric device with the two parallel bars and the sparks arc across it and move upwards and make that ZZZzzzZZZZaaaaMP sound? That's a jacob's ladder.

And ever shake a lightbulb to tell it's bad? The filament burns out and hangs loose. Tubes aren't really that far from lightbulbs. As they age/burn out, parts get loose and it could become microphonic (pick up/eminate extraneous noise). If you're not having a crackling problem, though, the tapping thing may not work.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 7, 2006,
ah ok.
converge has a song called jacobs ladder. its funny because the lead singers name is jacob.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
it crackles. only really audile on the gain channel though, because i have the pre amp turned right donw on my clean channel in order to keep it clean.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
You should probably just spend the $100 and retube the whole amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
it cost alot to get tubes over here. i dont have enough money...
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
its gunna cost me $150 for a full retube with sovtek EL84's and EH 12AX7's. sound good dirk?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Honestly, couldn't tell you how Sovteks are. I've never owned an amp that used EL84s. The EH preamp tubes are awesome from what I've heard about them, though. I plan on using them when I retube the Boogie. You can see if www.tubestore.com has a rating for those Sovteks.
Hi, I'm Peter
well its the pre amp tubes i'm most comcerned about.
EDIT: sovteks wont fit according to that site. **** it i'll just replace the pre amp tubes.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Last edited by joel_grieve at Jul 7, 2006,
Then you should be really happy with the EHs. I've heard great things, not only from the Tube Store review but also members on here.
Hi, I'm Peter
i'll just replace all the pre amp tubes with EH12AX7's. thanks for the help.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
actually i've been able to isolate the exact pre amp tube. could i just replace it with another marshall tube?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Sure. I know with power amp tubes you have to replace them in pairs, but you should be ok replacing a single preamp tube. That being said, preamp tubes are a lot cheaper than power amp tubes, so you should probably just do 'em all.
Hi, I'm Peter
well its a question of how much i can afford/get from my parents. i should have enought to replacee them all, but incase i dont i want to have the option of one. thank dirk. i'm off to bed.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I've done a jacobs ladder experiment in my school............. the one my study group did did nothing but eminate REALLY WEAK static electricity........... I totally suck at physics......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
yes you do.

hey dirk. i did that pencil tap test thing and the buzzing didn't stop. but regardless i just found the tubes are covered under warranty by the shop. so full retube for me.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel