JUst ordered in my new guitar, a PRS SE Custom black/gray with stoptail, and i wondered: what do you guys think of this guitar? And in fact, how would you compare the PRS SE line with the whole Epiphone, Squire ed budget lines?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Last edited by LikeAStone at Jul 7, 2006,
I used to have one.. is it the se eg or the soap bar? What student model is it? Anyway.. the se eg I had was a great guitar, not as good as the one I have now.. but still a great guitar.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
It's pretty good. I have the PRS SE Soapbar II and I'm very happy with it. Except that I hate the stopbar tailpiece. I don't understand why any guitar company makes fixed, unadjustable bridges. They can't possibly think they know the exact forumla for precise intonation with any and every type of string out there.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
It's pretty good. I have the PRS SE Soapbar II and I'm very happy with it. Except that I hate the stopbar tailpiece. I don't understand why any guitar company makes fixed, unadjustable bridges. They can't possibly think they know the exact forumla for precise intonation with any and every type of string out there.

do you have to use the same string gauge cos of the bridge
^good Q, I don't think you have too but your intonation could go off if you put a different gauge/brand on it...

when I tried it in the shop, I asked the shop owner about it and he was like "well...uhm..you like..uhm...you could change it...uhm..a little bit". (I hate that shop )
Well, there are adjustments. They have little screws behind the hooks that attach to the studs, but again, you're just adjusting the whole bar at the point, so you can get general intonation, but not precise intonation.
Hi, I'm Peter
The sad part is, they use the same bridge on $3,000 McCartys, but an adjustable stopbar tailpiece on the McCarty archtops. Things that make you go "hmmm...what the **** were they thinking???"
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm getting a new Ibanez soon, would you say putting in an Earvana nut straight away would be a good idea?
Well it has already strayed into people complaining about intonation with stopbars so I think this is a suitable place to ask, I don't want to make a whole new thread for that. Do you have any suggestions or was that it?
Well, his question was what are people's opinion on the PRS SE guitar with a stopbar tailpiece, so it was actually apropos. As far as your question, yeah, that was my answer. Heh. I don't know. Never replaced a nut on any of my guitars.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Geezer1
I'm getting a new Ibanez soon, would you say putting in an Earvana nut straight away would be a good idea?

which ibanez. and earvana nuts are made specifically if you like near perfect intonation
i have a prs se soapbar II and it is ok...need to change the pups but the playability is smooth, especially given the heel
I was also thinking about changing the pickups in mine. What are you looking at?
Hi, I'm Peter
i was thinking seymour duncan vintage soapbar in the neck (sp90-1), and a seymour duncan hot soapbar in the bridge (sp90-2)
well then you cant get one because as far as i know earvana dont make locking nuts unless you prove me wrong
Quote by jackal20
i was thinking seymour duncan vintage soapbar in the neck and (sp90-1), and a seymour duncan hot soapbar in the bridge (sp90-2)

I was also looking at that combo, but then someone pointed me towards Rio Grande pickups. The only place I've been able to find them are at Warmoth's website. I've also been thinking of splurging and having a set custom wound from the guy at www.sdpickups.com I love the way the guitar plays, it's just missing a little bit of the ooomph I wanted.
Hi, I'm Peter
pretty sweet. yeah i have not made a firm decision yet on the duncans, good to find some other options
haha and im from australia so yeh. i dont know but ive got loads of american guitar stores and about 10 australian guitar stores