Lately ive been doing alot more work on scales and arpeggio's and for that being able to know what notes your playing, quickly, is prety important so i was just wondering how are you at telling what note's your playing.

Im not really quick but give me 2 or 3 seconds i can find it. Do you think i need 2 be quicker and do more work on remembering them? and how would you rate yourself:

a) 10 seconds and ill get it.
b) I can find it in around 3 - 5 seconds.
c) Easy. Find it instantly.
Instantly but only up till like the 15th fret, then it takes 2-3 seconds to think. It becomes easy when you use powerchords and you know their names, like: "OK B5 starts on the 2nd fret, 5th string, so that note is B." etc.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
I can find any note instantly, but i have been playing a long time. Eventually you'll look at your fretboard and you dont see fret markers, you see note names.

2-3 seconds sound like you are using some sort of marker to count up or down. ie, you know where G is, so you work up or down to the desired note.. it will come, don't worry.

So many people on here are in a rush to get good. All your heroes have been playing for YEARS AND YEARS.. take your time, guys ! I bet most of you are like 16 or something.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
^I think he means knowing what note your playing on the fretboard. For instance, 8th fret on the E string is a C.

It takes me 2-3 seconds... although I really should work on increasing that time. Learning to read music helps a TON.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
2-3 seconds, but im more about knowing exactly which interval im on. which for me is instant.

i notice that especially if im playing a guitar with no fret markers. i was playing a classical guitar yesterday and in the phyrgian i was jamming with a friend who was doing a progression ( a cool one too i might add). to add a good lead line, i find its very important to know which intervals you're using. if im on the 3rd or 4th beat and i want to build up a dissonance that resolves on the downbeat of the next bar, i might want to work with the b7 and b2, before resolving on the first beat to the root.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
^I think he means knowing what note your playing on the fretboard. For instance, 8th fret on the E string is a C.

What's that got to do with hearing, though?
Sorry Apple... I thought you were talking to the threadstarter. You didn't quote or put a little carrot in it... so I assumed thats who you were talking to.

Perfect pitch wise, I've been getting pretty good at that. I'll hear a song, and I can hit the fret the root note is in within 2 or 3 frets.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Oh i see, apologies...

yeah, perfect pitch is very hard to master... i dont think just anyone can do it. My piano teacher can tell me what note i press on the piano. Never fails to amaze me!!
Quote by Applehead
Oh i see, apologies...

yeah, perfect pitch is very hard to master... i dont think just anyone can do it. My piano teacher can tell me what note i press on the piano. Never fails to amaze me!!

For my major in college (music, duh) I have to take a required Ear training course. I can't take it until next year, but right now I'm pretty good at it, usually don't go more than a step either way.

Perfect pitch however usually applies to instruments without frets or keys, such as A violin, or more commonly your Voice. It's when you can hit any note perfectly at any given time (in your range of course) and it's very hard to master (Note: Some people are born with an inate ability of perfect pitch, lucky buggers).

Tell me what note your playing, and if I don't think about it, I'll find it right away. But as soon as I think I doubt myself and take longer.
Quote by elemenohpee
(Note: Some people are born with an inate ability of perfect pitch, lucky buggers).

Thatd be me

But learning to read music is probably the best thing you can do to learn notes quickly.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by Applehead
Do you mean Perfect Pitch?

yeah.

im practicing like an hour a day.

I'ts not tat hard to practice, just kinda boring.

my guitar teacher gave me alot of exercises back when I learned with a teacher.

i can now identify phone rings. my moms pitch when she screams at my little brother and most of the radio commercials.
...And The Nominees Are