I've done one of these posts before but I didn't get very assuring answers. Rather than listing guitars I've been looking at, I'm going to list what qualities I'm looking for in a guitar and hopefully I'll be given useful suggestions.
I play mostly thrash metal but also classic rock and I need to be able to shred and sweep easily on this guitar. I also have a budget of £400/$740 and am willing to buy second hand. I play through a Roland Cube 60.

- Good neck pickup, should be a humbucker in the bridge position.
- Preferably 22 frets.
- Good whammy bar, licensed floyd rose will do fine.
- Attractive.
- Suitable not only for shred and solos but rhythm work too.

The kind of guitars I had been looking for were:
Epiphone Gothic Explorer with a licensed Floyd Rose (the cheapest one I can find is £370 which in my opinion is a rip off as I've heard the guitar in general is not worth this kind of money plus the fact I was offered a Gothic Explorer minus a whammy for £170 but second hand)
Epiphone Plain Top Les Paul (doesn't have a whammy which is kinda annoying)
Ibanez (only have heard good things about the RG 1570 which is out of my price range)
Fender Fat Strat (only 21 frets)
Fender Ash Lite Strat (no humbucker)

Help please?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Should have taken the deal on the Goth Explorer!

Les Pauls work well with everything you listed but shredding on the higher frets can get tricky, other than it is a beautiful guitar.

Ibanez' RG series with good tremelos are very good too, more expensive than the LP (Epiphone), but definitely worth it.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
URM dont get fat strat unless you put a good whammy in it.....obviously you prob already know that strat whammy's are not meant to be doing divebombs.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
sounds like a Jackson DKMG Dinky would be perfect for you. its about 10 USD out of ur price range but i think youll manage :P

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231

this looks like your best bet
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
That Jackson looks beautiful and with EMGs too... it's tempting to work more shifts at my job and save up! On GAK it's £490 and would probably be the same if I ordered it from music123 and had it delivered to the UK.
The Ibanez suggested also looks very good yet inferior to the Jackson.
I'm unsure whether to buy that Explorer (offer still stands) or simply give it a pass and use the £170 to buy something else.
Thanks for the suggestions, keep 'em coming
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
^ No, dont get that jackson. The LFR on it SUCKS! If your gonna get a Jackson, get one with an OFR.

Besides its 24 frets, i thoght u wanted 22.

Ibanez S or SZ series are the guitar FOR YOU.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe

Besides its 24 frets, i thoght u wanted 22.

um i dont think it will matter.. 22 is more than 24 so the 22 will be there... a couple extra frets wont hurt anything....

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
24 frets doesn't bother me particularly, however the S is in my price range and the Jackson would take more saving.
Are you sure the FR on the Jackson is crap? Is it inferior to that of the S470?
And ClassicAxe, what SZ model would you recommend?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
You have nearly the same criteria as I had, and I went for an S470, meets all my demands. Pickups need replacing because the stock Infinitys are the spawn of satan, but the trem and neck are beautiful and its a bargain for the price. Only thing I would say is stump up the extra for a quilted maple top, the colour choices are better and it has a nicer finish (I got the Ice Blue S470, and i'm not 100% happy with the colour but it plays like sex so im not complaining)
Quote by rickmeister
24 frets doesn't bother me particularly, however the S is in my price range and the Jackson would take more saving.
Are you sure the FR on the Jackson is crap? Is it inferior to that of the S470?
And ClassicAxe, what SZ model would you recommend?

my friend has the exact same jackson and hes never had a problem with the FR on it. its just a matter of knowing how to work with a guitar with a FR or not. idk anything about the S470, im not very fond of ibanez guitars.. but i dont think there will be anything wrong with the jackson. and if there ever is, you can always buy an original FR when you have more money

Quote by richwatkinson
my bad, the one my friend has is actually this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DK2-Dinky-Electric-Guitar?sku=511668

which you could afford depending on what color u choose

or this one, again depending on color
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-KE3-Kelly-Electric-Guitar?sku=511669

but if youre really concerned about the FR, get this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DXMB-X-Electric-Guitar?sku=512239

its quite a bit cheaper, but that will mean that youll have the leftover cash to put in an OFR if youre afraid the LFR will be a problem

Quote by richwatkinson
I'd ay go for the S470, if you could save up more, I'd say go for the Schecter HEllraiser FR. It is EMGs and OFR.
S470 good mahogany tone a killer ZR trem and the neck pup is where it should be with only 22 frets.
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
my friend has the exact same jackson and hes never had a problem with the FR on it. its just a matter of knowing how to work with a guitar with a FR or not. idk anything about the S470, im not very fond of ibanez guitars.. but i dont think there will be anything wrong with the jackson. and if there ever is, you can always buy an original FR when you have more money

No. Its not a matter of the setup, its the tremelo. Your firend hasnt had it long enough. Soon enough those knife edges will wear out.

Get an Ibanez S470 like the others said thread starter, thats the guitar for you.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
No. Its not a matter of the setup, its the tremelo. Your firend hasnt had it long enough. Soon enough those knife edges will wear out.

Get an Ibanez S470 like the others said thread starter, thats the guitar for you.

um hes had it for nearly two years, idk how long it takes to wear out tho

and thts why i suggested getting the more inexpensive Dinky so if there was a problem, he would have the extra money to replace the FR with an original FR

Quote by richwatkinson
Quote by ScreaminBlues25
um hes had it for nearly two years, idk how long it takes to wear out tho

and thts why i suggested getting the more inexpensive Dinky so if there was a problem, he would have the extra money to replace the FR with an original FR

still not worth. remember guitars arent going to be the same price all over the world. let alone trems. plus the zr trem is very good and wont need to be replaced which means less hassle