I've been listening to slayer more than usual lately and a guy at school rocks thrash music, i was thinking about learning some thrash to get my picking faster, i was just wondering if you need any specifics to make thrash easier, like different picks thickness, string guage, etc
Well, for faster picking I reccomend getting 1 mm and above thickness picks... Thicker guage strings may help.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Thanks, I'm ordering some gibson 1 mm's, looks like it was a good move :p
Does the guitar weight matter?
this guy i know who can thrash really well says my guitar's too light.
Tell your friend to stfu.
Guitar weight is defined by guitar wood; the heavier, the bassier and deeper. The lighter, the treblier and brighter.
Because your guitar is light, it doesn't mean you'll "thrash" (wtf is that anyway) worse than usual, it means your tone won't be the same as if you had a heavier guitar. Usually, metal guitars are mahogany (not a rule, Ibanez's are mostly basswood and most Jacksons are alder), but that doesn't mean anything... It's all about the tone you want.
Quote by primusfan

Being able to hit the strings fast without hitting them too hard is important - specially when you move onto the chords involved.

Try the one string fast playing then move onto the chords...

Try starting off by playing "Cannibal Corpse"
Thanks for the help, this guy is kindof a thrash metal elitest, really thick f*** off strings, steel 2 mm picks or something like that, heavy guitar, not sure on what it is though, I've only ever seen him play my friends les paul copy, The thrashiest i can do at the mo is the intro from angel of death by slayer, i'll look into some cannibal coprse
Quote by Craigo
Being able to hit the strings fast without hitting them too hard is important - specially when you move onto the chords involved.

Try the one string fast playing then move onto the chords...

Try starting off by playing "Cannibal Corpse"

What? Cannibal Corpse is one of the most technical bands out there. You don't reccomend them to a guy who wants to begin playing thrash.
Quote by primusfan

seek and destroy is a great thrash song to learn, first song I learned...
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by RideTheAnger13
seek and destroy is a great thrash song to learn, first song I learned...

Most old school Metallica is.

As for songs go, those are my reccomendations... Metallica up till AJFA, Megadeth and Slayer.
Out of those, usually Slayer are the hardest-
Quote by primusfan

I can already play some non-trashy metallica, enter sandman and st. anger
I can also play Symphony of destruction, minus the solo

Its my lesson tommorow, i'll try to learn some thrasht metallica or something simalar
To my opinion, buying the ultimate thrash metal gear(B.C.Rich etc.)is not that important...I use an ESP Vintage Plus(which is essentially a Strat with few modifications, it even has single-coil pickups) for playing thrash metal and it works well for me...A great band for starters is The Haunted, their songs are heavy, catchy and fairly easy to play(check out 99, All Against All and D.O.A, for example)..and please, use fairly moderate amount of distortion for rhythm playing, you don´t want to sound like a broken refridgerator during those fast-paced passages...
Quote by spiritraiser
ultimate thrash metal gear(B.C.Rich etc.)

Go to that thread about BC Rich and you'll know why I say so.
Quote by primusfan

I think hes on about the custom shop models (Kerry King V etc.)
I'm not worrying about a new guitar yet, probably at about christmas time i'll get the £450 ($900) LTD M series guitar, that looks great
Well, that particular brand just popped to my head...My point was that you can play thrash metal with a guitar that is not "metal guitar"...
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I think hes on about the custom shop models (Kerry King V etc.)
I'm not worrying about a new guitar yet, probably at about christmas time i'll get the £450 ($900) LTD M series guitar, that looks great

That's a great axe.
But dude, the Kerry King model is production line, and isn't better than the rest... Custom Shop is whole other story. But this isn't a thread about BC Rich.

EDIT:
Quote by spiritraiser
Well, that particular brand just popped to my head...My point was that you can play thrash metal with a guitar that is not "metal guitar"...

I get your point.

Lots of cheering on this post.
Quote by primusfan

Last edited by jmag at Jul 7, 2006,
Any guitar can be used for any style. Once you develope a feel for your instrument you can play however you want on it. As has been stated, what guitar you have will affect tone moreso than feel since you're just beginning. Get a relatively cheap guitar or borrow someone's to learn the ropes, then upgrade when you start wanting a different tone. I disagree with what jmag said about Slayer being the most difficult-I'd put my money on Megadeth. That's just me, though. Slayer solos are the easiest to play out of the three mentioned once you build up your speed. Just attempt any song you like. Black Magic by Slayer is pretty straight forward and teaches you to tremelo, haha.
Yes. Very much technical. Download that GP tab and prepare for awe... Or if you don't have Guitar Pro, search for Frantic Disembowelment in youtube or video google.

EDIT:
Quote by Archon473
Any guitar can be used for any style. Once you develope a feel for your instrument you can play however you want on it. As has been stated, what guitar you have will affect tone moreso than feel since you're just beginning. Get a relatively cheap guitar or borrow someone's to learn the ropes, then upgrade when you start wanting a different tone. I disagree with what jmag said about Slayer being the most difficult-I'd put my money on Megadeth. That's just me, though. Slayer solos are the easiest to play out of the three mentioned once you build up your speed. Just attempt any song you like. Black Magic by Slayer is pretty straight forward and teaches you to tremelo, haha.

I guess you're right, I won't argue on something I'm not sure. It's just that as far as rythm goes, I usually have more of a hard time playing Slayer rather than Megadeth (I don't usually go for lead, out of my league).
Attachments:
Cannibal Corpse - Frantic Disembowelment.zip
Quote by primusfan

Last edited by jmag at Jul 7, 2006,
nah, megadeth riffs are tough as hell. anthrax and testament's stuff is pretty hard too. slayer's are pretty straightforward, as are metallica's.