So last night I was bored, and I decided to make a footswitch for my ValveKing 112... I got a 3-conductor wire, and tried every combination to find out what did what. Found that connecting ring to sleeve enabled distortion, and found that connecting tip to sleeve enabled the boost. Wired it up to my old crate footswitch. Either way, I made a footswitch for my valveking for free (why drive out to daddy's junky music to waste gas and $25 for a footswitch?). This stuff is cheap anyway (you don't even need a PCB), so it should only cost roughly $5-$10 depending where you buy the parts. Just gotta know a little soldering and basic electronics. The one gripe I have is that I couldn't figure out how to add in LEDs to indicate if the channel is on or not... However, that doesn't matter to me.

Attached is a PCB Layout that I'd use if I were to build more of these.

Next up is a reverb footswitch. Yes, I have it planned out in my head, but haven't gotten to it yet.

To make it, you'll need a DPST switch, enclosure, wire strippers/cutters, and plenty of wire. On the amp's reverb box, there's two wires, the red RCA and the white RCA. Cut the white RCA, and strip it. Notice there's two wires, one insulated (from here on to be referred to as signal), and one that's braided around the insulated wire (from here on to be referred to as braid). Total, there'll be 4 wires (one on each side of the cut you made). Solder around 10ft of wire to each of the 4 wires you get. From there, take the two wires from the RCA Plug (that goes to the reverb box), and solder each wire to a seperate pole on the switch. Take the other two wires, and solder them to the matching throws of the switch. When you press the switch in, the circuit completes/breaks.

No schematic or drawings for this one yet until I get it done myself.
Attachments:
Valveking Footswitch noLED copy.jpg
why bother with making a PCB layout? you can just wire it directly for a switch and some jacks
I don't understand why you had to strip an RCA wire rather then just Get an RCA extension cord, you can't be that cheap, right?
also it's not that hard to wire LED's to your footswitch there should be 2 more poles to do that for you.

Besides my peavey owns yours, it already has a reverb footswitch!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
to add in LEDs: try briding the 2 cables with a LED, sometimes there might be just enough voltage on it to turn on a LED (or at least if I were making an amp thats what I would do).

Otherwise just hookup a DPDT switch for each thing you're switching and use the half if it you're not using to turn the LED on/off (might need a 9v battery in the box but LEDs don't eat a lot of power)
Quote by seljer
to add in LEDs: try briding the 2 cables with a LED, sometimes there might be just enough voltage on it to turn on a LED (or at least if I were making an amp thats what I would do).

Otherwise just hookup a DPDT switch for each thing you're switching and use the half if it you're not using to turn the LED on/off (might need a 9v battery in the box but LEDs don't eat a lot of power)

I tried using LEDs in the first method you said, and it didn't work. They lit up fine, but the switches didn't work like they should have... the lights went on and off with the switches, but the amp wasn't switching channels at all... It just stayed in the distortion channel whether or not I had the distortion switch activated or not.

Also, I used my old crate footswitch, and was too lazy to go out and buy new switches or jacks and the likes... I just adapted the old crate one to work. That's why I left the PCB layout. Plus, you could add in more.

eddie: Yeah, I could have used an RCA extrension cable, but I didn't have one on hand.
dood you shudnt have to do anything with the reverb wires becus the peavey vk has the reverb capability aready. so it can switch reverb through the foot pedal plug anyway. you just have t figure out how to wire it right.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
Quote by bshizzle911
dood you shudnt have to do anything with the reverb wires becus the peavey vk has the reverb capability aready. so it can switch reverb through the foot pedal plug anyway. you just have t figure out how to wire it right.

Mind explaining how?
I thought if you already had boost+ channel switching, you would need a 5- pin plug for the reverb. That's what my amp has.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
well my thought was without the boost so idk if its possible. but what i was saying is look at the factory switch it has the reverb control and channel selector in one unit which it plugs into the footswitch jack so you have to be able to be able to do it. and by that i mean turn reverb on/ off through the footswitch jack. LINK
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Mesa Boogie Mark IV

Quote by aerosmithfan95
I wanna know what some blues sounding chords I could use in the key of D Aeolian fifth mode of Melodic Minor.

Quote by szekelymihai
try looking for Cm, or any of those complicated jazz chords
hahah awesome...you guys must save a fooking bundle by having all of this knowledge.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Quote by bshizzle911
well my thought was without the boost so idk if its possible. but what i was saying is look at the factory switch it has the reverb control and channel selector in one unit which it plugs into the footswitch jack so you have to be able to be able to do it. and by that i mean turn reverb on/ off through the footswitch jack. LINK

The factory footswitch has two switches. One for channel select, one for boost. It uses a 3-conductor cable.

I dunno what footswitch you have linked there, but it's not the factory Peavey one... btw, my amp didn't come with a footswitch (used), nor did my friends (new).

In addition, here's a link to the valveking footswitch: http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116379/number/00592720/cat/177/begin/1/ValveKing%AE+Footswitch.cfm