Page 1 of 9
I was about 14 I guess. I'm 16 now and about 2 years ago I heard Iced Earth and thought they were cool, but Maiden was the band that really got me into it. It took me a while before I was really a metalhead but yeah, maiden's still my favorite band.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
When i was twelve i heard Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden on the radio. I loved it so much i spent so long trying to find out who it was, and now im a huge metal fan.
probably about 10-ish when i started to listen to slayer, metallica and pantera regularly, but i started listening before then with my dad sometimes playing some sabbath
i was 12 and now in 16. Thank Metallica for that. First song i heard was Seek And Destroy
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Well I always had a thing for hard rock like Def Leppard and AC/DC, but I really didn't find any metal until I was like 14, that was the whole Metallica phase. That lasted about 2 years and I didn't start finding true metal till probably a year ago.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
about 12 when a bunch of people on a Quake forum were talking about Metallica and System of a Down and I downladed some mp3s to find out what this was. I eventually also got into Iron Maiden, Megadeath and a bunch of nu metal-ish stuff (Korn, Snot... which I still don't mind for nostalgic reasons ).

And when I was 15 or so on a different forum I was introduced to Opeth and In Flames and other scandinavian stuff
i listened to metallica at a very early age
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I learned of Metallica when I was 10 or 11, and discovered death metal @ 12... then black metal @ 14. I'm now 21.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Whenever Tony Hawk 4 came out, and Maiden's Number Of The Beast was what got me into it.
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'
I'd say about 12. My friend had bought Disturbed's "Believe" cd, and he let me listen, and it was hte greatest thing I'd ever heard. It was really the only metal cd I had heard, so that's all I knew. Then he gave me a Slipknot mixed burned cd, and I loved that even more. So I was really a newer metal kid for a while, mostly just Disturbed and Slipknot, but I was still listening to the more radio rock of the time so I was rocking all the time.

Then my sister made a cd with some Powerman 5000, and Saliva, and a few more harder bands, and I basically stole that from her, it really opened my eyes.

Then..... the day of redemption came..... I had heard SOOO much about Ozzy, and I had just started one of those BMG music accounts, and I bought AC/DC Back in Black, and Ozzy's Essential CD. And that was it really. I got into SOOO much metla and older rock and metal.

I had been hit with the disease, and I didn't want the cure. I eventually started watching Headbanger's Ball and my other friend had some awesome stuff, and I just opened up to it.

I've just recently got into 80s metal though, like Maiden and Priest. I'm surprised I didn't earlier after hearding VROCK on GTA: Vice City, cause those are soem GREAT songs.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I had a Metallica- .... AJFA blanket in my crib, yes my father really liked his metal, and I have taken a liking to newer metal- still with the solos- and with the screams nowadays only about a year now.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
15 i think. With Metallica unsurprisingly.

19 now.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by fallenangel20
I'd say about 12. My friend had bought Disturbed's "Believe" cd, and he let me listen, and it was hte greatest thing I'd ever heard. It was really the only metal cd I had heard, so that's all I knew. Then he gave me a Slipknot mixed burned cd, and I loved that even more. So I was really a newer metal kid for a while, mostly just Disturbed and Slipknot, but I was still listening to the more radio rock of the time so I was rocking all the time.

Then my sister made a cd with some Powerman 5000, and Saliva, and a few more harder bands, and I basically stole that from her, it really opened my eyes.

Then..... the day of redemption came..... I had heard SOOO much about Ozzy, and I had just started one of those BMG music accounts, and I bought AC/DC Back in Black, and Ozzy's Essential CD. And that was it really. I got into SOOO much metla and older rock and metal.

I had been hit with the disease, and I didn't want the cure. I eventually started watching Headbanger's Ball and my other friend had some awesome stuff, and I just opened up to it.

I've just recently got into 80s metal though, like Maiden and Priest. I'm surprised I didn't earlier after hearding VROCK on GTA: Vice City, cause those are soem GREAT songs.

So in other words, you haven't even scratched the fucking surface.

Quote by Magero
Quote by Spynal

Some things take time.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
hm.....i was about 13 barely learnin guitar mostly blues when my friend let me borrow maiden's number of the beast and a manowar cd, that forver hooked me on metal, then i started to discover death and black metal, im 19 now!!!
Gear

PRSCustom 24

Jackson DXMG w/ sh-13 dimebucker & sh12 jazz

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo head and matching 4x12 cab

Hendrix dunlop Wah

TS-7 tube screamer
i was born a metalhead...i heard that i came out with the horns

nah, i was into guitar when i was younger, my dad had these tapes of Joe Satriani, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin etc...from there i heard Sabbath, and with great help from the internet i discovered death metal
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Spynal

my post was already freaking huge, I wasn't going to post everything. When I get into a genre, I REALLY get into it, I research, I make countless mixed cds on Limewire, I really know a good buch of bands.

Sure, I'm positive I don't know as many as the more huge metal fans, but I'm getting there, I know bands that not many people have heard of in my town. I really just don't have the time to burn a whole bunch of cds with the GREAT stuff on them.

Cause I don't have money usually and I can't be wasting too many cds cause I'll have to buy more some how. But I am into the better stuff at least that is well appreciated and good. I may not know all of it, but I know a good list.

And I'm 15 now, so I've had 3 years to grow in my knowledge, and I'm not going to stop learning.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'm going to go on record as saying you haven't explored a fucking thing about metal.

Quote by Magero
Quote by fallenangel20
my post was already freaking huge, I wasn't going to post everything. When I get into a genre, I REALLY get into it, I research, I make countless mixed cds on Limewire, I really know a good buch of bands.

Sure, I'm positive I don't know as many as the more huge metal fans, but I'm getting there, I know bands that not many people have heard of in my town. I really just don't have the time to burn a whole bunch of cds with the GREAT stuff on them.

Cause I don't have money usually and I can't be wasting too many cds cause I'll have to buy more some how. But I am into the better stuff at least that is well appreciated and good. I may not know all of it, but I know a good list.

And I'm 15 now, so I've had 3 years to grow in my knowledge, and I'm not going to stop learning.

At 3 years of listening I have over 1000 albums. No excuses!
^ Less than a year into the great stuff and I only ~650 albums :P
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Actual metal... Around 12. But I started to listen to heavier (heavier; not heavy. I only got into actual heavy music an year or two ago) at age 11, with Manson and other nu-metal bands. Still like them, but I'm very, very bored of them.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
I was 13 and i heard master of puppets next thing the radio changes and its some crappy rap song. My eyes were opened. Now im 16 and i listen to mainly Inflames,Slayer,COB, stuff like that
13 I'd say for the more mainstream metal, ie Metallica and Iron Maiden. Only gotten into the really good stuff in the past year or so.
Quote by madbasslover
you've just received the first official Madbasslover's Seal of Asskickery.

Cas Appreciator #4. PM Skeptopotamus to Appreciate.

Private Donut of the Red VS Blue Club. pm fret13 to join
Well I started listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica when I was 11 and im 14 now.
I've been a fan of Metallica since a very young age, but I think I was 12 or 13 when I really got into it.
Last edited by mrmoo182 at Jul 7, 2006,
well when i was 8 i used to like ****ty nu-metal for about a year, and then when i was 11 i bought my friend Master Of Puppets for his birthday. It was just sitting around and i liked the album art so much i had to listen to it. Needless to say, he didn't get his birthday present, and i listened to that cd for about a month straight...been headbanging ever since.
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
14 and I'm 15 now, so I'm a n00b.
Originally posted by Novaworld
Smiddys right...
At about 16 I started downloading (legally of course ) many torrents, including a metallica discography and Iron Maiden Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Iron Maiden first got me hooked, and then I slowly began appreciating Metallica more and more.... then came more Iron Maiden, a lot of Black Sabbath and Ozzy w/ Randy Rhoads, and then Megadeth, Slayer, and Pantera. Then, this year, when I was late 17/Early 18, I saw Death Angel live, as well as Irritant, Mudface, and Hostility and that along with going to the music store and listening and sometimes buying various CDs got me into Dream Theater, Death, Testament, Exodus, Iced Earth, Opeth, Morbid Angel, Carcass, Nightwish, and a few others. Now I just need money to buy some of their CDs.... oh and since there are no good metal stations where I live, I try and listen to some Metal on Internet Radio.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.