What is your approach when it comes to making music? How do you sit there, and create a great lick on the guitar, or write a very emotional, moving song? How do you map out when and where the other instruments come in, or what notes to play? I want to hear from other people how they come up with their work.
I have jam sessions with just myself. I basically mess around with stuff until I start forming somewhat of a good-sounding riff or lick, and then I just slowly expand from there. If I play the same thing over and over too much, I begin to lose interest with it, so I like to experiment by getting a rough copy of a riff down, and then adding harmony, different rhythms, pedal tones, etc. to it, just to see how it sounds in different formats. It all kind of works itself out eventually.
But it's different for everyone else. It works wonders for me, it might be terrible for you. It's just something you'll have to experiment with and see what works best, I guess.
what about lyrics? I just can't seem to find my own way of writing DESCENT lyrics..
Lyrics usually take practice. You're not going to be slamming epic poems the instant you lay your pencil to the paper. It just comes more naturally to some than others. I know I'm personally not very good at coming up with lyrics. But with practice, it becomes easier.
Plus, sometimes it helps to come up with the vocal melody first; you don't know what the words will be yet, but you'll at least know what they'll sound like. Know what I mean?
Creating the melody first usually is what I go for before going for the lyrics. You're right, I've just started writing lyrics, and I'm not that good. But I'm also trying to write more complex lyrics. The kind of lyrics that you'd have to decipher to catch the meaning. Maybe I should jump down a step..

I can't even sing. But, call me queer, it's been a dream of mine to sing...Ya know good practice for that? Lol..
Quote by RMMcNl
Creating the melody first usually is what I go for before going for the lyrics. You're right, I've just started writing lyrics, and I'm not that good. But I'm also trying to write more complex lyrics. The kind of lyrics that you'd have to decipher to catch the meaning. Maybe I should jump down a step.

Believe me, I'm not that great at it either. Yes, you should go down a step. Try writing about some more basic stuff; doesn't have to be pathetic, just more basic than what you've been trying to to. Once you feel comfortable and confident that you can write lyrics well, then go to the more advanced stuff.
Generally, I create a melody first in my head. Just kind sing out something that sounds catchy, just create raw music with my head. Then I'll try to find the key of what I'm hearing in my head. Sounds crazy, but that's how I do it. No matter how much u can't sing, if u try to sing decent and still comes out flat you can still find the flat note for it. If you do the flind that flat note, just raise lower it to the specific natuaral note (ex: Db to D). As for writing lyrics, I usually write to a piece of music I've already created and just kinda sing out what's been on my minde lately.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I just remembered something; did you guys know that Ronnie Van Zant from Skynyrd would never write out lyrics? He'd just have the band play over and over again and he would keep coming up with lyrics off the top of his head? I don't know, I just thought of that now. Might be a cool thing to try.
lyrically, I take existing lyrics, change them completely but still fitting in the music, then find another tempo that suites the new lyrics. I started out parodying songs, so its just a habit.
Dickless.
Quote by SethMegadefan
I just remembered something; did you guys know that Ronnie Van Zant from Skynyrd would never write out lyrics? He'd just have the band play over and over again and he would keep coming up with lyrics off the top of his head? I don't know, I just thought of that now. Might be a cool thing to try.

I read something from the singer from Thrice that the best advice he got about writing lyrics is that you have sorta 'poo out the lyrics'. It's gross, but it makes sense.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
musically i have a ton of different ways, some of my stuff is kinda industrial sounding so i'd lay down a good drum beat w/ synth then mess around till i find the perfect riff for it, sometimes i play w/ just a drum machine going till i find a good riff or passage, sometimes i'll just play d!ck around till i find something that catches my ear and play it several times to remember it...... lyrically i write tons of poetry then i filter out all the cr@p parts and stitch all the good parts together to make a song, it's not usually extremely coherent in structure (like theres not a specific story being told) but it sounds good and from there i try the lyrical idea w/ all my songs, sometimes i'll take a pre-existing song i've written and just go through all my poems and pick out bits and pieces from different things i've written and put them together over 1 song.
For lyrics I sit and listen to hollow by pantera normally and then the words just flow out no problem. Im naturally good with lyrics I guess. As far as songs I either hear the parts in my head and then construct them down on the guitar, or mess around in a scale and then put parts into chords.
For song ideas, I like to sit in a dark room with a guitar and a few lava lamps going, maybe some candles. I'll just sit and play some brooding riffs for awhile and then branch out into some more different ideas and sometimes I'll have the kernel for a new song. Lyrics I'm not good with. I let the singer write those.
complete songs usually come in my head, in the shower, or just walking around. Then I transfer the beat in my head to actual music on the guitar.

I dont really write great music if you sit down and say, OK RIGHT NOW IM GOING TO COMPOSE A SONG. Be in the right mood, and dont force the music out.

if im not making any sense, well.. Lucy in the Sky of Diamonds might have something to do with that
it really depends on the song as to how i go about writing it. i would say most of my songs start with a riff. the riff usually comes from just messing around when im bored. once i have the riff, i work that into a chord progression or another riff. then i take those two parts and try to build any other parts for the song. say my riff is a good intro, then the other riff or progresssion sounds like a good chorus. i then figure out what i need for a verse that works with the two and any other parts i may want. then i structure the song to see how it will flow.

other times i come to the table with an idea of how i want the song to sound and go. like during the school year i started this song where i wanted this very slow beginning with some slow solos over keyboards in a pink floyd kinda sound, then have it build to a full on rock your socks off kinda thing. so i take that idea and work on the beginning, and go from there. for me this way gives songs i like better, but it doesnt come as easy.

another way ive been doing this summer is to start with stuff my brother gives me. he plays bass and sometimes comes up with interesting stuff. i then work off the basslines to see what i can come up with. same thing goes with other starting points as well. like i sometimes start with some lyrics and a good vocal melody and work from there, or a friend has a guitar part that i can use as a starting point to add to.

lyriclly, i havent done much recently. i often write things down when if wake up in the middle of the night, and thats when my ideas seem to come best. its best to start simple and try not to do too much. like if you want to have really deep metaphors, dont worry about rhyming too much. if you want to have a strict rhyme scheme, then keep the imagery simpler. if i try to do too much, i lose everything because it all becomes too jumbled. lyrics for me just kinda start coming, but unfortunatly i never get a whole song. which is why i then come back to stuff later and work on it to add more depth and length. sometimes it ruins it by forcing it, but once you start doing it you learn how to not make it forced. or at least i sorta have.
Quote by SethMegadefan

That's cool. Good practice for the band too
Most of my licks are on accident, or I will just start playing something randomly, that i like. Then i work on backing guitars, and depending if im in a band or not, the bass and drums( I obviously don't want to steal someone else's job)