Hey folks, does anyone play the emg 81?. It sounds killer on their website. I play a s470 ibanez through a marshall valvestate (Soon to be a 5150 hopefully) with EHX pedals. I've heard confilcting things about most seymour duncans.

Only thing is can i install it myself, and can i live with it looking different than coiled pickups??..
they're awesome for metal. there is soldering and removing pots and stuff involved so it depends if you've done that sort of stuff before. i had never done it and i was able to get it done. it took me several hours though. i personally like the look of the covers better
Quote by johnnystorm
they're awesome for metal. there is soldering and removing pots and stuff involved so it depends if you've done that sort of stuff before. i had never done it and i was able to get it done. it took me several hours though. i personally like the look of the covers better

Nope, no soldering. All you do is clip and go. They sound good in basswood, alder, and mahogany. Also, they are pretty bright, but I like 'em.
You better like metal (and pretty much nothing but) and like a pretty bright tone (although mahogany and your 5150-to-be should attenuate that).

From what I hear (and backed up by my limited experience) they sound better in mahogany than alder...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
You better like metal (and pretty much nothing but) and like a pretty bright tone (although mahogany and your 5150-to-be should attenuate that).

From what I hear (and backed up by my limited experience) they sound better in mahogany than alder...

Kirk Hammett seems to like them in alder. I use them in basswood and they sound alright to me.
Quote by MastaBassist10
Kirk Hammett seems to like them in alder. I use them in basswood and they sound alright to me.

yeah, but kirk hammett sucks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that was pretty opinioned of you Dave.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
^ well it's the truth. Heck, when I'm trying to find my lead tone, one of my pointers is "try to sound as little like hammett as possible".

Ok, it's not, it's just funny. But I still stand by hammett's tone sucking.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my 81. Now I just need to get my tube combo and im set. I installed my set by myself and didnt have any problems and when I did it I was still rather wiring and soldering retarded. I also like the covered look alot better than open coils. Looks cleaner to me. I suggest getting a pair though unless your guitar only has one pickup in it. I suggest getting an 81 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
hammetts tone isnt that great its kinda thin not like James tone which IMO is just crushing . James may not do the soloing but he is a much better player than Hammett is. And FOR the last time Hammetts Guitars are Neck thru Maple with alder wings which makes the EMGs sound better because maple is so dense and heavy. So the EMGS ARE IN MAPLE NOT ALDER. and yes to me they sound like crap in basswood. Maple neck thrus with mahogany or alder wings are good best in solid mahogany though.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Cheers for the help-would be s470 be thick enough to install the battery compartment and stuff?. They are very thin guitars..
Usually you can fit them in the back compartment (the one with the pots). I jammed one in a Les Paul and it fit. And that had 4 pots, the Ibanez only has 2 (and the 5 way).
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
well yes i agree with everyone here 81 is great but if u want great clean get a Dimarzio Steves special i just put them in my esp explorer great distortion and wonderful clean john petrucci used to play this in the 90's but now he put out a new one with dimarzio here check out the steves
http://dimarzio.com/index2.html