OK this is maybe a crap idea, but it came to me t'other day, and I reckon it's sort of cool

This thread is designed for us fair ug-ers to create the Definitive Alt/Indie Summer Playlist. Though I suspect the thread title sort of gave that away.

Anyhoo, you're allowed to post JUST ONE SONG, from the Alt/Indie genre, that you think conjures up all the summery emotion and ambivalence - perfectly encapsulated in tune form

No repetitions!

That way, people get to see a little about What Makes You Tick (song choices speak volumes when you only get one), and also since a lot of people who post here have a really varied taste, you get to share the joy and switch people on to things that they may have never listened to before - or remind us all of a true classic that we forgot til you named it!

So to get the ball rolling, my Definitive Alt / Indie Summer Tune is.....

Moloko - Fun For Me

oh, and to comply with the New Rule, here's a link where you can sneak a listen

Which reminds me of the summer before I sat my A-levels, and will always be amazing just for that.

Ready? Set? Go.
Plain White Tees - Hey There Delilah?

jon edit: OHHHH ITS WHAT YOU DO TO MEEE <333
Fire Department - Be your own Pet
"The Day that I die is the day that I shut my mouth and put down my guitar" - Bradley Nowell of Sublime

R.I.P- 1996
So many to choose from. My gut tells me to say a Sonic Youth song, but I think I'm gonna go with:

Summer Babe-Pavement
Emiliana Torrini - Unemployed in Summertime

Although it's from a female perspective the lines, "unemployed in summertime, only just turned 21, we'll be ok. Unemployed in summertime, we don't need money because we're young." are completely perfect for me finally (been waiting a couple of years for this) - money would be nice though.
Otherwise it's all about Lily Allen - LDN (sorry for two, but that's this years summer tune).
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by slinks
Minus the Bear - "Pachuca Sunrise"

oooo that's just lovely

shy child - summer
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
So many to choose from. My gut tells me to say a Sonic Youth song, but I think I'm gonna go with:

Summer Babe-Pavement

beat me to it

i'll say the beastie boys' song "hey ladies"
Hmmm. I could be really predictable and post a Biffy song, but I think for once i'll be a bit wild and post something else...

Amusement Parks On Fire - Blackout

Perfect summer song, it's poppy, it's fun to dance and drive to, and you can sing along.

Whey!

www.myspace.com/amusementparksonfire
minus the bear - absinthe party at the fly honey warehouse

the ULTIMATE summer song.
rites of nothing.
Another Number--The Cribs

Meh. i liked it.
R.RHOADS IS GOD wrote:

WELL IF U MEAN BY B OPEN MINDED LIKEING SHIT .....NO THANK YOU
Quote by dead_kennedy
minus the bear - absinthe party at the fly honey warehouse

the ULTIMATE summer song.

Pretty much any Minus the Bear song could qualify for this thread hahah
coffee and tv- blur

i've been chilling to blur a lot and thats a great song to relax to during the summer
Daniel Johnston - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Your Grievence

It's happy, it has the word "sun" in the title, what more do you want?
^ have you seen the movie "the devil and daniel johnston?"

weirdd dude

and Bitchin' Camero - dead milkmen
One song? Don't know if I even want to try...

..yeah, go on then...

*reaches up to pull random song out of thin air*

What I Got - Sublime

I was also considering Kula Shaker, Cast, The Zutons, Dodgy and a load of others.
Quote by China Groove
^ have you seen the movie "the devil and daniel johnston?"

weirdd dude

Nah, but I certainly intend to.
ok i don't really know why, but the first song i thought of was Smashing Pumpkins - Rhinocerous, so i guess that'll do

unluCKY...

edit: actually, no. i change mine to The Eels - Mr E's Beautiful Blues
from daylight...
...into darkness
Last edited by KaosInTheDark at Jul 10, 2006,
Looks Just Like the Sun - Broken Social Scene

That whole album (You Forgot It In People) is now officially my anthem to lazy summer days. If you haven't heard it...then do so! Now!
John Frusciante Club Member #7
Sonic Youth-Teenage Riot.

Something about seems just so...summer-esque.
Wade in the water, child.
I'm thinking....

Girl- Beck

It reminds me of last summer for some reason, it might be because ever morning I'd get up and put on VH1 for background noise and they contantly played that song ...or something like that