Does any one else seem to have realized that elixir strings, nanoweb and polyweb, seem to break more easily then other strings?? because it seems that everytime i put a set of elixirs on my acoustic, they sound amazing of coarse, but within almost a week, i snap a G string....and it frustrates me to no end, cause they are so expensive, but i love sound and feel of coated strings....and i was just wondering if anybody else has this problem with them, or if its just me, and that i play wayy to hard.....any comments on ur opinon with elixirs, or what strings u recomend that r coated and dont seem to break very easily would be much apprecitated
theyre overpriced, i prefer a good old cheep set of ernie balls or blue steels, you could try tuning down
try d'addario EXP's. they are coated strings like elixirs, except they are coated before they are wound so the sound better, feel better, and last longer. i've been using nothing but the EXP's for around 7 or 8 months now and i only recall breaking 2 strings in that whole time. i change tunings on my guitars daily and i play fairly aggressively so they should work for you also.
yea, i was looking into thoese....they sound pretty good from what u tell me....i think ill pick up a set of thoses....thanx alot
Dude, I noticed Elixir seemed to change their packaging a while back, and was wondering if they had gotten over that problem. I got 8 packs (.9 gauge) free with my very expensive Stratocaster back around August 2004. I broke those bitches so fast, it made my eyes water. That's partially because I was playing .9 gauges, and I play hard, and also because they just seemed to break very easily compared to other .9 gauged strings. I also didn't notice them fighting rust well. Mine ****ing rusted. My experience with them was ****ing horrible. I haven't tried EXP's for electrics, but I believe the strings on a Breedlove acoustic I played a while back at GC were EXP's. I remember because this was one of two times in my life I've succeeded in finding a perfect acoustic guitar. The other time, I borrowed money to buy the guitar. Good luck man.
I had the same problem with breaking elixers, plus they're too slippery and way too bright. jimtaka hit the nail on the head, I won't use anything other than Phosphor Bronze Medium EXP's. I swear some people must think me and jim are EXP salesman lol. But it's the truth, I play very aggressive (It's my practice guitar so I play even electric songs on it and once I get to my electric it's alot easier) and never broken a string, they've always had to go bad which takes a while.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
I use GHS strings for my electric and it breaks easily. I just changed them last Sunday and the 5th string is already broken when I try tuning it one step down. I wonder why.
I have never use d'addario EXP's or anything els other than ernie balls So i dont have a lot to say but With my ernie's I have only snapped strings twice in my 2 years of playing...and i play Reall Really hard
Last edited by GsKoRn1 at Jul 7, 2006,
i used elixirs b4 and they did break soon after i forgot how long it took b/c it was a while ago but i didnt buy that brand n e more i argree with "sexy-man" go with the cheap ones just n case they break its not it cost to much

mikey,
Mikey,

"I was part of that strange race of people aptly described as spending their lives doing things they detest to make money they don't want to buy things they don't need to impress people they dislike."
- Emile Henry Gauvreay
Last edited by howboutscrewu at Jul 8, 2006,
Do you use a pick? Because i notice that classical strings like that break really easily if you use a pick because they are more desgined for fingers though. I'm not 100% sure on this though.
I hear a lot of people complaining about breaking elixir strings. I've been using the nano lights pretty much exclusively and I've never broken a string... ever.

*knocks on wood*

It's probably because I use thin picks and I don't play very aggressively. I've seen the way some people play acoustic guitars, attacking the strings with the force of their entire arm, putting the weight of their body behind each downstroke.... and it makes my heart hurt.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by BigFatSandwich
I hear a lot of people complaining about breaking elixir strings. I've been using the nano lights pretty much exclusively and I've never broken a string... ever.

*knocks on wood*

It's probably because I use thin picks and I don't play very aggressively. I've seen the way some people play acoustic guitars, attacking the strings with the force of their entire arm, putting the weight of their body behind each downstroke.... and it makes my heart hurt.

me too. i've used the .12 and have never broken a string with elixir. I hate flimsy picks and so i use picks that are at least .73mm thick and play 'electric' type songs on it for finger strength/ practice (and because i don't want to walk up stairs to play my electric).
Quote by metalmiliita56
not to sound stupid but do combos sound as good as tubes?

Quote by Tom Martin

Still, use a condom - STD's arn't like pokémon - you don't get a certificate for catching them all.

Quote by Refixer
All Spiders suck. Accept it. Even the ones with legs.
use another make of strings, like d'dario theyve never failed me.
i know this is not the point but electric strings sound really nice on acoustic guitars