Ok, I'm taking my old black fender stratocaster(which basically looks exactly like the black strat here, except I have the noisless pup covers, so they're vintage white also), and basically I just want to re paint it to a vintage white. I was wondering, if I took it to a shop like Samash or a local shop how much it would cost? Would it be cheaper to have a car shop do it? Or B) how much money would it cost to do it myself, and if you have any links that could help me through it. Thanks in advance.

PS: I really don't trust myself to scrape of paint... I'll probably end up with a huge hole in my guitar , I'm worthless with artistic painting / crafting / drawing.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Repainting aint hard... As long as theres no chips and dents you can just take off the electronics and the neck, sand down the gloss a bit with some 60/80 grit, prime it, paint it, gloss it. Give it a few days then put the electronics back on.
if you're worried about sanding a hole through your guitar then just use (i'm not really sure which one, but i'ce seen it done) laquer thinner or paint thinner. rub it all on your guitar and in a few you'll have it all off without (i believe) sacrificing your sealant.
60/80 grit is too much and you'll end up doing what you don't want.
I agree. Jut use 220grit sandpaper to sand the gloss of, prime(few layers), paint(lots of layers) and gloss(LOTS AND LOTS of layers). It's a good exercise, and besides, painting a guitar is great fun
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
is there any specific kind of paint I should use?
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
people say dupli-color.

i used rustoleum and it came out nice. but i'd go with what the people say.