I was just curious, how did the whole tradition begin with radio stations religiously playing certain songs together, such as Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid or We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions? I mean, the bands never play them together, so how did this thing even come about? I think it's quite annoying myself, I wish I could strangle the first person to think of it. Anyone know any info on this phenomenon?
Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid is just in the same key, and they fit nearly perfectly toegther. That's all i know, though.
Well heartbreaker/living loving maid is played that way since thats the way it is on the album. I can't comment on the Queen songs. Personally, I like it better when they play the songs that way, as originally intended by the artist. I'm more annoyed by the seemingly limited playlist they use considering the vast library of music they have to draw from.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
uh, cause that's how they are on the original album...

duh?
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
actually in concert, queen DO play them like that.

and heartbreaker and living loving maid are played seamlessly on zeppelin II.
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
I agree, maybe not with your examples, but with the tradition. my specific example is Eruption with You Really Got me. The songs are clearly separate on the album and if they want to play another song with eruption they should play Ain't talkin bout love. Sounds just as good. Silly radio stations. It's just the man keepin music down.
Songs such as "Waiting for the Bus" and "Jesus Just Left Chicago" are put together on albums. If you look at an old vynal, you'll see that there are spaces between the tracks, but some songs are played together and don't have spaces between them. Radio stations will always play these songs together because if they play them by themselves the intro or end will sound bad.

Songs like these would be "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With a Little Help From My Friends," "Brain Damage" and "Eclipse" and so on.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by grim1
I agree, maybe not with your examples, but with the tradition. my specific example is Eruption with You Really Got me. The songs are clearly separate on the album and if they want to play another song with eruption they should play Ain't talkin bout love. Sounds just as good. Silly radio stations. It's just the man keepin music down.

stick it to the man! pump the easy listening muzak!
Quote by JimmyPageSlash
nice i like how rocker clothes are cheap. im gonna be dressing completely rocker soon

TOOL ALERT
Never heard any radio stations do that (at least from what I remember). However, in the early days of music radio the DJs used to often leave whole sides of LPs playing, so I guess it probably stemmed from that in a way.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
As far as the "We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions" go, I always thought they played them together because they go together so well. But, that's just me.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Living Loving Maid was never played live by Led Zeppelin, so.....yeah.
But I don't dislike that practice. It's like a twofer. So stop whining.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
^^not when you get Speak to Me/Breathe and expect to hear it flow into On the Run and then Time and so on...

I don't see what the confusion is here. On the original albums, some songs flowed together without a pause in between. Radio stations play them together, they don't break that pause and it sounds better. Big deal.
Quote by Thefallofman
I mean, it's just that there's a vast multitude of songs that go well together, I'm just curious about how it turned out that these select few became played thus all over the country. No need to be rude about it, it's just something I found peculiar in its specificity. And I've only seen a handful of Queen shows (including one I was at personally) and they didn't do We Are The Champions right after We Will Rock You, which is why I ask.
It just flows is how I see it.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
What's wrong with that? How is it annoying? If it's annoying to you, you shouldn't be listening to classic rock. I don't listen to the radio much, but imagine hearing the dead stop at the end of the song "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" instead of it seguing into "... My Friends". People rant about ANYTHING these days, I swear.
It's annoying purely in it's predictability. I actually have recently stopped listening to my classic rock station (Q1043) because I've gotten to the point where I just want to listen to something I haven't heard a million times on the radio before. This is just an opinion, but to me it seems like classic rock stations, or at least those I've heard, are for people who are just getting into classic rock. I guess if you're one of those 'hardcore classic rock junkies' who wants to listen to nothing else, that's cool by you. Personally I listen to quite a lot of jazz, blues, folk, and funk on the side, and I enjoy expanding my tastes. For my purposes, listening to a classic rock station will neither give me pleasure (hearing songs I'm sick of from so many repeats) or introduce me to new music, since at this point I've pretty much scoured the catalogues of any band that could possibly be played on classic rock radio. I guess you could say I'm just not 'classic rock' enough, but truth is, I like a bit of everything. Classic rock is great and all, but it's certainly not a major preferance over other genres I listen to. So there you go. I suppose this post was just something to illustrate my frustration with how limiting classic rock radio is, but apparently nobody else seems to agree. For now, I'm just sort of meandering around to see if I can find some good jazz station, but until then, even the classical one is more refreshing than classic rock.
Quote by FreewayJam
So there you go. I suppose this post was just something to illustrate my frustration with how limiting classic rock radio is, but apparently nobody else seems to agree.
Woah woah woah...that's a different story. Q104.3 does play mostly well known stuff, and it is starting to bother me, being that I'm hearing the same stuff over and over. Once in a while they will play something out of the ordinary though...yesterday I was on their website and it said they had just played The Gold It's In The... by Pink Floyd, which completely took me by surprize.

playing two songs that flow into each other = no big deal
playing the same songs over and over = problem

Quote by Thefallofman
Nope.
None of the classic rock stations i can get around here do that.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by BrainDamage
Woah woah woah...that's a different story. Q104.3 does play mostly well known stuff, and it is starting to bother me, being that I'm hearing the same stuff over and over. Once in a while they will play something out of the ordinary though...yesterday I was on their website and it said they had just played The Gold It's In The... by Pink Floyd, which completely took me by surprize.

playing two songs that flow into each other = no big deal
playing the same songs over and over = problem

I can't believe someone else here listens to Q104 too
I think the reason they play a lot of the same stuff is because as you know they are the best station in the nation, ratings-wise, and they win lots of awards, so obviously they want to maintain that greatness, and not mess with the tried and true formula. So yeah they do play a lot of classis rock standards but have you ever listened to WBAB on Long Island (or RCN who really sucked up until a year or so ago)? Thank God you can hear the Q from where you are.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
^^I still like the Q and still listen to it...a lot actually, but it's getting on my nerves that they are playing the same songs by artists.
Quote by Thefallofman
yeah I remember that. I also called the Pink Floyd block and Paul Simon...but they do sometimes put on a good one...like up until a year ago they never played "Bring It On Home" but now they do. Its a gradual thing, they're still lightyears ahead of any other station in the country.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
What truely annoyed me is that my favorite station growing up (WPDH 101.5) began integrating modern rock into their lineup. Therefore, I have to hear Jet and Nirvana. Nothing more annoying than that.

Q104.3, if it's the same radio station, is all I listen to if I ever listen to the radio. I'm from the Hudson Valley and it comes in with a bit of static.
Quote by crazynickman
yeah I remember that. I also called the Pink Floyd block and Paul Simon...but they do sometimes put on a good one...like up until a year ago they never played "Bring It On Home" but now they do. Its a gradual thing, they're still lightyears ahead of any other station in the country.
wait- did you call in The Gold It's In The... a few days ago? I can't see any radio station playing that without a request (as great of a song as it is, no one knows it).
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
wait- did you call in The Gold It's In The... a few days ago? I can't see any radio station playing that without a request (as great of a song as it is, no one knows it).

Nah the last song I called in was "A Quick One While He's Away" by the Who and they never played it Who was the DJ at that time? Some of them play good stuff, like Little Steven and Ken Dasho(sp?)
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
I think it's good when radio stations do that. Like my local one sometimes plays "Any Colour You Like","Brain Damage",and "Eclipse" all in a row. And of course Eruption and You Really Got Me.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.