On August 19th, we're having a staff party for all the employees where I work. In addition to the usual drunken mayhem, they've decided to have a talent competition. I'd like to play guitar as a solo act, considering it's the only real talent I have with the patience to work on.

My question is this: What songs/artists should I look into performing? There's about a month and a half before this thing goes down, and I just want some input as to how I can pull off a solo guitar act without making it boring or repetitive. I was thinking of maybe even writing something, some blues or shred perhaps.

I'd appreciate any input, and just try not to recommend anything too difficult; the hardest song I've yet to manage is Master of Puppets, so please keep that in mind.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Just take a few chord strums and sing to them. That always works well on a crowd
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
to threadstarter, where do you work? Because I work with a guy who owns a destroyer and i live in calgary.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
#41 by dave matthews or the cover by howie day, both are great songs that are fun and easy to sing. or some third eye blind, such as hows it gunna be, or semi-charmed kind of life. lifehouse has some ewasy songs as well. or, my favorite to cover.. last kiss by pearl jam
"Always With Me, Always With You" by Joe Satriani
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
if you can manage the solo in MOP, you should try eruption by van halen. that always works!
Yeah sure that works.. personally I think if he gets up there without a drummer, rythm, and bass, and starts MOP, it will sound lame, and also I think eruption is overrated and overdone. I still stick to my earluier post, if you can sing half-decent, strum a few easy songs and sing to them
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Thanks for the recommendations, I guess I should have mentioned that my singing voice is... well, for lack of a better term "****". I really never practice singing, so unless I can find someone at my work who does (we can do group acts) then I'm boned (at least for songs with lyrics). It would be a short set (probably less than 10 mins) and it shouldn't be too hard to impress them seeing as how they're all guitar illiterate.

to threadstarter, where do you work? Because I work with a guy who owns a destroyer and i live in calgary.

Lol, creepy. No, I don't live in Calgary, but as is in my sig I do have a destroyer.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
i played stairway to heaven for a crowd and they went absolutely nuts. it may be an overrated song but everyone will know it and everyone will love it
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.