I'd tune up. If you tuned down, you'd be tuning down more than you would if you tuned up.

D is a 4th above A... that's five frets, or two and a half steps.
Looking for my India/Django.
thats one hell of a tune up, a string break could well occur
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
I would eliminate my penis into threadstarter's mom's mouth.

/thread
Yea, tuning up will be closer BUT that string will probably break or be tight as hell and hard to play. Try it out I guess.
Well it's "Iris" by Goo Goo Dolls so theres a 90% chance my string will break and I bought spare strings before even attempting the tuning because I realized how freakin high it was!
What's the tuning? I don't recall them tuning to anything strange like that...
Quote by redwing_suck
What's the tuning? I don't recall them tuning to anything strange like that...

I just looked at the tab

Tuning:
 D
 D (Tune it up to D)
 D (Tune this one down)
 D
 D (Tune this one down also)
 B (Tune This One Down too.)

So you would tune the A string down to D, not up

So 5th fret Low E string (A) would have to sound the same has 7th fret A string (E).

G=5th fret A string
F=3rd fret A string
E=2nd fret A string
D=open A string

But I'm not sure how you would tune the other strings.

-KR
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jul 7, 2006,
I couldnt tune down to D on the A string without it floppin around everywhere so I just tuned up and its fine...and its not a ****ty tuning its just odder than Hell!
Yeah I have the song, I gave it a listen and I don't see how a tuned-down A->D would work... whatever, I can't really tell what's really going on.

EDIT: DunlopGuy - shut up. Verbal warning.
Okay, looking at the tuning of the actual song, here's what I'd recommend using:
D - Tune your e string down
D - Either tune your B up to a D, or put an e string on and tune it down to D
D - Put another D string on here
D - Keep it
D - Put an E string on this, then tune it down a step to D
B - Get the heaviest strings you can find for this; .13s or something

It's a dumb amount of work to have to go to for one song, but hey, I've done it before too! If you really want to do it, that seems like the easiest way to me.
Good luck with the song (and the tuning)!
I think you have your tuning wrong,
I used to play that song and it was an alternate tuning but not the one you're using.
I thought it was open G but i could be wrong
Quote by libriumbum
I think you have your tuning wrong,
I used to play that song and it was an alternate tuning but not the one you're using.
I thought it was open G but i could be wrong

Of the 7 tabs of that song on this site:
4 are BDDDDD tuning
1 is DADDDD tuning
2 are in standard
I'm not completely sure myself, but from looking at the majority of them, I'd assume that BDDDDD would be the right tuning. Definitely whacky, but right.
that's one ****ed up tuning. i'll hafta listen to the song but...i can't see any ****ing band playing low to high, BDDDDD....yeah, i'd try and transpose that to standard for your guitar's sake. it'd be easier than all that string work for one song. lol.