okay, my friend wants to add a cab to a 212 100 watt combo, the combo is 8 ohms, and the cab is 4 ohms. we know just about nothing about ohms so we were wondering if you can tell us if this works. thanks
I've heard that this is bad but did it anyway with a 412 and a 100 watt head. Nothing happened but I did blow an old fuse (still don't think this was related).
the lesser known of the 4
How many watts is the cab?

In general this is a bad idea but many output transformers are tough enough to do both 4 and 8 ohms fine...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
ok mr horesman, riddle me this, what would happen if you used a 100 watt combo as a head instead of an actual head
^It would have the same effect, 100 watts is 100 watts.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
^It would have the same effect, 100 watts is 100 watts.

yeah but 100watts at 8ohms or 100watts at 4ohms....

Don't use a smaller impedance load than what your amplifier is rated for (using a larger impedance is OK though)
I wouldn't do it again, as soon as I could I replaced the 4-ohm speakers with 16-ohms and it did just work in my case, I'm not condoning it. I also have an 8-ohm head that splits into 2 4-ohm jacks in the back. That could have had something to do with it not blowing a transformer. maybe.
Last edited by 5thhorseman at Jul 7, 2006,
my combo amp is 100 watts at 8 ohms, would i need a cab at 8 ohms? or need at a certain wattage? tell me what kind of cab i would need
I would go for a 16, but 8 will be fine. Any kind will work as long as you see the ohms rating and the wattage on it.

As posted before a 4-ohm head can power a 4, 8 or 16 ohm cabinet, just not the other way around.