Alright so she wanted to change her strings from extra lights to mediums. So we brought it to the guitar shop for them to change and when it came back, there was buzzing on the 3rd fret high E string (there wasn't buzzing before).

Any idea what may have caused this?

My gut instinct tells me the guitar needs a truss rod adjustment but any other suggestions?
My classical guitar teacher told me to do this and it worked really well:

Get a stirrer from Starbucks, or just any coffee shop, and cut it the length of your bridge and in half width-wise. I suggest a box cutter. Then, when you next re-string, or if you loosen the strings enough, you slide it under the actual part of the bridge that holds up the strings - it usually comes off. That will raise the action without serious change or taking the time to take it to a shop.
the reason is probably, that she or you, are not use to the thicker strings, i switched from medium to light and mine also buzzed. The difference of the thickness is what i guess. Or a truss rod.
Um, are you both incapable of changing strings, or am I missing something here?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178

What's wrong with letting a tech do it? I have a free setup plan from the shop where I bought my guitar, so I just take it to them and have it set up every time I change the strings. Not only that, but a professional setup is pretty much called for if you're changing string gauges. That's more applicable to any sort of complex bridge system, but I can't see any downside in letting a professional do it even on an acoustic....

That said, it sounds like a) you need to get a fret worked on, or b) the tech did a crap job, and you should take it back and ask for another go round. Either way, take it back and see what the tech says.
Quote by chipsahoy
You don't like the smell of some other guy's poop? Hmmm...smells like home to me.
Quote by THEunknown1
the reason is probably, that she or you, are not use to the thicker strings, i switched from medium to light and mine also buzzed. The difference of the thickness is what i guess. Or a truss rod.

i actually play w/ medium strings on my guitar.

Quote by hamish5178

i change my own strings. but since its her guitar and shes going from extra lights to mediums, we figure it'd be best to give it to the guitar guy. What you're missing is the main question to my thread
Most of the time buzzing between the 1st and 7th fret can be taken care of with a truss rod adjustment but the only way to know for sure if that is what it needs is to check. Put a capo on the 1st fret and push the low E down on the 14th fret. Now look under the 7th fret and see how many 1mm picks you can slid into the space. You don't want to be able to put more than 2 picks in and no less than 1. If you think it cold use a little more air under the string loosen the truss rod by 1/4 turn. Play the guitar for a few minutes before you recheck the truss rod because it will need some time to settle in.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by schitz
What's wrong with letting a tech do it? I have a free setup plan from the shop where I bought my guitar, so I just take it to them and have it set up every time I change the strings. Not only that, but a professional setup is pretty much called for if you're changing string gauges. That's more applicable to any sort of complex bridge system, but I can't see any downside in letting a professional do it even on an acoustic....

That said, it sounds like a) you need to get a fret worked on, or b) the tech did a crap job, and you should take it back and ask for another go round. Either way, take it back and see what the tech says.

Only if youre a fscking moron
Quote by Johnnyboy66

when you change string guages, it will mess with your intonation... and contrary to whatever you may think...... not everyone knows how to properly adjust their truss rod. dick.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by schitz

So you get your guitar set up once a month? Thats a bit unnecessary, unless you change from .9's to .13's every time. . .

But a free setup plan, that sounds cool. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Johnnyboy66

Actually, it's not the easiest thing in the world to avoid fret buzz and keep your neck in good shape after a truss rod adjustment. Not to mention if you're playing a guitar that has a locking bridge (or even a regular tremolo) it becomes more complicated. Not that it's going to be an issue here (this being the acoustic forum), but I can still make a case for taking it to pro a lot easier than you can make a case for the do-it-yourself setup plan. Besides, with the intelligence displayed in your comment, I get the feeling you probably play an acoustic with a U-turn in the neck and brag about how you could be a luthier if you wanted to......idiot.

Quote by hamish5178
So you get your guitar set up once a month? Thats a bit unnecessary, unless you change from .9's to .13's every time. . .

But a free setup plan, that sounds cool. . .

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. Totally unnecessary, you're right, but it was $30 on top of the purchase price to get free setups for 3 years. That's $10 per year....so yeah I impulse bought it. Still, it saves me the trouble and each setup at that place is like $20, so if I take my Strat in twice it will have paid for itself. As it stands, I just do it every time cause.....well, it's free.
Quote by chipsahoy
You don't like the smell of some other guy's poop? Hmmm...smells like home to me.
Last edited by schitz at Jul 8, 2006,
Johnnyboy66 IS A MORON!!!! You should always have a tech do truss rod adjustments.You will mess up your guitar big time if you start messing with your truss rod.