hey,
im starting to outgrow my cube 60 ( still love it though ) i need something that can play a club or small venue like that, so ive been lookin at halfstacks. i play pretty much non-stop Metallica and Megadeth so it needs to have a good Metal sound . im looking for a head under 1,000 USD but a lil bit over is ok. I've been lookin at Mesa Dual Rfiers cause i like the rectifier setting on my cube but i havent gotten a chance to try one out yet. what do you think i should take a gander at?
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Last edited by Jackson > you at Jul 7, 2006,
Tube or SS?

Under $1000.00 Mmmm....

Mesa Boogie is out of range (but the best amp on the market,IMO)

Marshall TSL601 212 or Randall.
Diesel is better for metal then mesa (Imo).
But I'd look at a b52 half stack for metallica and megadeth, but without a pedal you wont be able to get a much harder sound then those. The Stacks have rectifiers, but the combos dont.
A used marshall tube amp is findable for that price, and you could build your own cabinet using the guide in the customization page. It really is pretty easy. Very very basic knowledge is required.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Bah, Peavey XXX for trash metal
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by MrSandMan

Under $1000.00 Mmmm....

Mesa Boogie is out of range (but the best amp on the market,IMO)

even Used? im talking about just the head, not the head and a halfstack

Quote by MrSandMan
Tube or SS?

Tube
MY GEAR :
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
Last edited by Jackson > you at Jul 7, 2006,
^eh a single rectifier maybe. A Mark IV if your extremely lucky on ebay.
the cheapest Mesa head i know of is the f-30 at $700
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
the cheapest Mesa head i know of is the f-30 at $700

new or used? cause im talking about used
MY GEAR :
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah

Quote by Nole07
thats new, used is probably $300-500
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
skip B52, skip Peavey, skip Legacy

you may like the mesa tone (look used), you may like something brighter (Engl e530 through Carvin TS100), depends on what you really want...
-Mike
people...it is now a 6505.

and the peavey XXX is great too...

carvin is really cool, check them out... the 50B tube head is supposed to be great, they go cheap on ebay too.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by xsynysterx06
people...it is now a 6505.

and the peavey XXX is great too...

carvin is really cool, check them out... the 50B tube head is supposed to be great, they go cheap on ebay too.

The Peavey XXX have a nice warm distortion...

If the 6505 is like the 5150, I thought the sound of those was just horrible. You'd want to test it for yourself.

One thing for sure... you cannot go wrong with Mesa Boogie!
^ the 5150/6505 is an awsome amp. Very chunky and dark sounding. You prob didnt EQ it right. and you can go wrong with mesa sometimes. i prefer a 6505 over a single rect any day
Quote by mexican_shred
^ the 5150/6505 is an awsome amp. Very chunky and dark sounding. You prob didnt EQ it right. and you can go wrong with mesa sometimes. i prefer a 6505 over a single rect any day

A guy I was in a band with had one... it was very bright and not chunky/dark at all. It was annoying. Could be an EQ issue, I don't know.

IMO, Mesa is the GOD and MASTER of all AMPS. They always make me piddle when I play them.

OP, try the 5150/6505, you may love it....
^its a matter of preference. one of the guys here, XxGenocidexX has both and he prefers his 6505 over the mesa.

As for me the only mesas i like are the Mark Series( Dream amp), and road king. The others lack something for me.
Quote by mexican_shred
^its a matter of preference. one of the guys here, XxGenocidexX has both and he prefers his 6505 over the mesa.

As for me the only mesas i like are the Mark Series( Dream amp), and road king. The others lack something for me.

Road king is my dream amp... can't seem to find them... think they are like $2700 for the 212(?)

I'm gonna mortgage the house someday
wat about JCM heads, the 800 or the 900. do u have a cab already? i got my krank revo used for 1050$ but i got lucky. i own a krank revo and a dual rectifier and imo the revo blows away the mesa
peavey JSX or XXX is the way to go.

i got my JSX new for 900 dollars on ebay. and i dont fregret it at all
^+!. another good suggestion. The JSX is versitile, and can do metal easily along with good cleans.
whats the difference between the 5150 and the 6505 besides the name ?
MY GEAR :
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah

Quote by Nole07
nothing really..just made in 2006.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
and the JSX sounds like ass - that distortion channel isn't that impressive

i'd rather have a Hasserl carvin amp, or a x50b/x100b if you want to talk about carvin - i'd just skip legacy, too think sounding really...Vai plays Uberschalls and you really cannot get that tone with a Legacy

I think you could get a better deal on a dark aggressive sounding amp if you went with Genz-Benz over Mesa
-Mike
^the JSX has an awesome distortion, where have you been?

and vai uses legacy amps. i have dvd's of him playing, and i see legacy amps.

never a bogner
for all the people recommending marshalls (just because all the bigshots used them), marshall's are not that great for metal. try getting a carvin vai legacy head. they're pretty good for high gain stuff and they're pretty affordable.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
Quote by chunkybrotha
^the JSX has an awesome distortion, where have you been?

and vai uses legacy amps. i have dvd's of him playing, and i see legacy amps.

never a bogner

1. you have no perception of tone
2. you're that dumb to think that just because you SEE and Legacy, that means you hear it? Steve Vai has legacies everywhere, yet....Vai's tone sounds NOTHING like the Legacy (much thicker you may notice with much different voicing) and the fact that tons of people have seen the XTCs he uses

but I am pretty sure he uses the Legacy poweramps and the cabs do LOOK like Legacy cabs from far away...but up close...

here's jsut a little thing I found: http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8076

there's more to be said on this topic as many people say the same thing

hide your ignorence

oh and PS: if you do want to hear Vai play a Legacy, watch the live in Astoria DVD
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Jul 9, 2006,
marshall JCM 800 that was the amp that those bands most likely recorded with back in the 80's and one could go for 800$ easy on ebay
setup:
Jackson ke-3
Peavey supreme 100

Quote by Archaon
if I ever see a greenday kid throwing up the horns while listening to greenday, I'm going to have to kick his ass. I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to throw up the horns, just not to greenday.
Quote by HopePoisoned
1. you have no perception of tone
2. you're that dumb to think that just because you SEE and Legacy, that means you hear it? Steve Vai has legacies everywhere, yet....Vai's tone sounds NOTHING like the Legacy (much thicker you may notice with much different voicing) and the fact that tons of people have seen the XTCs he uses

but I am pretty sure he uses the Legacy poweramps and the cabs do LOOK like Legacy cabs from far away...but up close...

here's jsut a little thing I found: http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8076

there's more to be said on this topic as many people say the same thing

hide your ignorence

oh and PS: if you do want to hear Vai play a Legacy, watch the live in Astoria DVD

even if Vai did use legacy amps, he uses TONNES of effects and rackgear, so that would change the sound a lot. I'm not saying the carvin legacy is a bad amp, but that it won't sound exactly like Vai since he uses many effects.
malmsteen on jerry c "you are a rising force"
yes many of his tones are post mic as well - a lot of signal processing goes into Vai's tone
-Mike
try and save up if you really want the mesa
VOX AD50 VT+crappy "Fender" from COSTCO!=ok tone!
I need a new guitar
Quote by iam2phat
for all the people recommending marshalls (just because all the bigshots used them), marshall's are not that great for metal. try getting a carvin vai legacy head. they're pretty good for high gain stuff and they're pretty affordable.

Marshalls are fine for metal. You might need an od for the really high gain stuff though. They just have a brighter tone than mesas, but that doesnt mean they cant do metal
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!