Okay I have EMG-HZ (which are supposed to be passive) on my Jackson. I open the back and there is a battery in there. I take the battery out and my "passive" EMG-HZ pickups don't make any sound at all. What's the problem? I'm planning on putting DiMarzio Evolutions in it, but I don't know what I'm going to do as far as changing them. If anyone knows what I should do about this, let me know.
Founder of Baer Guitars - Free lessons in an unconventional style to promote creativity.
Composer
Teacher
Guitarist
if your guitar has a battery compartment and your pickups dont work when you take out the battery, i dont think that it is passive. the pickups would have to be active. thats the only explanation i think there is. you must have been told the pickups were different from what they are when you bought the guitar or something, because if what you said is true im pretty sure that the pickups are actually active and not passive. get the evolutions tho, those are such sick pickups, im not really sure how you would switch them out though, i dont really know what you would do if you were installing passive pickups into a guitar set up for active ones. you'd have to ask someone else about that. well, i hope that helped out.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Piezo system?
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
The battery is for the EMG Active Turbocharger System. It comes standard with EMG HZ's on many Jackson guitars. It gives you a 20 dB boost, by pulling one of the pots outwards.
Or at least it should be. I know that a lot of Jacksons use passives when using EMG, and I know that EMG-HZ's are passive.
But, if there's no such thing as a turbocharger system on your guitar, then the person selling it to you has mislead you.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Quote by SinnaSatan
then the person selling it to you has mislead you.

But the false advertising is in his favor. Like someone trying to sell a strat knockoff, when it ends up being an American Fender.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
True.. So, if it turn out that it's not EMG-HZ, then I guess the threadstarter made a bargain
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
however... all EMG passives have EMG-HZ or EMG Select on them...

i really hope you can read is all I can really say... if it ONLY says EMG on the front, then it's an active.