so, i'm reading the stewmac catalog, and it enlightens me that humbuckers have a higher resistance than single coils. the higher resistance attenuates more of the high frequencies giving a more midrangey tone. so i'm wondering, is there a cause-effect relationship between overall resistance and tone, or are is it merely coincidence. or more specifically, can an throw a small resistor in line between my pickup and my pots to take a little brightness out of the tone?
UG's number one Speechwriter's groupie.

www.Speechwritersllc.com
high resistance usually equals darker tone and vice versa, exceptions are noise cancelling single coils.

Yes you can put in a resistor to tame the brightness. There's a tutorial out there on how to do it. Gimme a while to find it.

here's the tut.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/potm.htm
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
its the impedance actually and the magnet used...

stronger magnet(eg ceramic) have high pitch... /trebly
softer magnet(eg alnico) have bassy sound...

eff, impedance refers to resistance of the coil, not a series resistance like that of a resistor...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

use a cap+resistor combination to tweak the tone...

can find some useful projects at:

tonepad.com
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.