Poll: Which pickup set for this thing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which pickup set for this thing?
'59 and Custom Custom ($80)
8 40%
P-90s and Lipstick ($70)
12 60%
Voters: 20.
EDIT: Pictures further down this page and poll added recently.
EDIT 2: More pictures further down...wiring complete (outside from the ground not really grounding and the "bridge" pickup not working).

Hello fellow UGers!

I'll be starting my Project: Jazz Beast as soon as I receive parts from Small Bear Electronics (www.smallbearelec.com) to put into my PLYWOOD (yes I know, kickass, isn't it?) Harmony Chinese import.

The left guitar would be the one I'm modding, although none of the pictured belongs to me. Mine's black with a white pickguard.

My Plans:

Once I get the aforementioned parts the mods taking place will be:
-Pot change, from 500k to 250k
-Jack change to a Switchcraft
-Capacitator change to a Sprague Orange Drop .047 uF
-Knob change from Strat style to Tele dome style to Boss DS-1 style

Future Plans:
-GFS (www.guitarfetish.com) P-90s (soapbar)
-Selector Switch
-Tuner Switch

All in all, this project should cost around $110 US. when I got the guitar for $15 from a friend who didn't have any use for it. It's been through interesting changes from being a C# tuned metal beast to an Eb tune-changer.

Hope to get pictures up sometime next week.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 19, 2006,
i clicked thinking you were doing something jazzy to a B.C. Rich, but this is intriguing too
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
^Nice try.

Using an SG, I created what should hopefully be the end result of this build. I was convinced by people on another forum to pop in a Lipstick pickup in the middle. I think it'll be sweet.

At this point, nothing has been sent yet, so I don't have anything done, so no pics. Sorry! The wiring is 5-way Strat and a killswitch for the Lipstick. When the toggle is on for the lipstick, the wiring is Bridge, Bridge Middle, Bridge Neck, Middle Neck, Neck...with the toggle off it's Bridge, Bridge, Bridge Neck, Neck, Neck...now I'm thinking I'll just use 3-way Tele-style wiring with the exception of the lipstick. So now, Bridge, Bridge Neck, Neck with toggle off, Bridge Middle, All, Middle Neck with it on. Capishe?
My order's been shipped from Small Bear. Haven't gotten it yet, but I'm urgently waiting.

Now for the rest of the mods, I need stuff from Guitarfetish.com so once I get money for that, it'll be the next thing on my list.
those Sprague capacitors are huge :S good for point to point wiring in tube amps but a pain to get into anywhere else (i just use the regular kind of guitars)
wtf how long have you been my left arm? we need a club for this.

Also - id keep the original pickups.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Why not wire it up with 2 3-way switches. One regular Gibston style for the neck and bridge, and one that goes something like middle on/middle off/only middle

-or-

1 3-way (N/N,B/B) and two on-off swtiches. One like a killswitch for the neck and bridge pickups, the other an on/off for the middle. That way you could have all 3 on, any 2, or any 1, as well as a killswitch for nomatter what you have on, unless it's all 3 on.

Now let's just hope you understand that.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Pedricko
wtf how long have you been my left arm? we need a club for this.

Also - id keep the original pickups.

I've been your left arm ever since you wanted other people to be your limbs. Like Gabel and joel. Or maybe they were campaigning your appendages, I don't remember.

The original pickups are actually starting to rust. Plus they're pretty weak anyways. Why are you suggesting keeping them, Ped?

Quote by WillMinus
Why not wire it up with 2 3-way switches. One regular Gibston style for the neck and bridge, and one that goes something like middle on/middle off/only middle

-or-

1 3-way (N/N,B/B) and two on-off swtiches. One like a killswitch for the neck and bridge pickups, the other an on/off for the middle. That way you could have all 3 on, any 2, or any 1, as well as a killswitch for nomatter what you have on, unless it's all 3 on.

Now let's just hope you understand that.

A lot of that seems like what I already have. I figure I have a 3-way Tele style made for Bridge/Both/Neck then a toggle either on or off for the middle then I have everything covered. I don't think I would want just my middle pickup on for anything, really so the killswitch for the neck and bridge isn't necessary.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 13, 2006,
Sounds like it'll be a great project! Good luck.

And are you not planning on refinishing?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
110 dollars!?

I hope that is including the price of the guitar and the new pickups. Because the pots and knobs and crap shouldn't be more than like 5 bucks.

And just for anyone interested, the Sprague Orange Drop thing is all hype, in applications like a guitar there will be no audible difference, and they're huge.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
in the words of the immortal Teen Girl Squad:
Sooooooooo Goooood.

i hope you all get that. http://www.homestarrunner.com/tgsmenu.html

gonna refinish it?
Blackstar HT 5
George Dennis Spitfire 2x10
LTD GL 200M
Agile Ghost III
Warmoth SSS Tele with Floyd Rose
Ibanez Artcore AM73
I <3 Arcade Fire, Rainbow, Dungen, Muse, Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Kate Bush etc.
ROCK OPERA!!
UG Rock Opera tracks
A refinish is a must. No idea what color as of yet. The Daphne Blue hype has got me thinking that, but I don't like to be a conformist. Any ideas?

TPQ-$110 is the TOTAL cost. Meaning for everything that I plan on buying now. The Small Bear order was only $65 and that included stuff for other projects and 2 of basically everything. I figured there wouldn't be much of a difference, but I thought having orange on my guitar would be neat. They are indeed huge.

FYI-I got all the ordered parts from Small Bear today. I should be able to complete everything tonight if I'm feeling adventurous but at least I'll get done the pot and cap change for this project. I'll start a new thread for the pedals being an EHX booster clone and a Tweak-O

Anybody have any clue as to how I can get a very articulate fuzz from the Tweak-O through mods or changes of some sort? The schematic is on Small Bear's page.
Now I'm confused if you mean "jazz" as in "spice it up" or jazz as in jazz.

If you mean jazz as in jazz then be sure to buy flatwounds.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
Jazz as in the music, although I probably won't be playing any jazz on it.

If someone were to play jazz/blues on it though, it would sounds pretty great.

EDIT: I got nothing done. I think I'll be holding this off until Monday at latest. Too much to do.
Here's 3 pictures of the electronics of the Harmony. Sorry about the size. Still haven't done anything to it, nor have I completed the pedals. Pathetic.

argh...looks just like my harmony...i hate how they wired it, but im not messing with it till i have the $$ to upgrade the pickups...and i dont remember if u said it earlier but u might want to replace the tone pot too if its anything like mine...i think its half how its wired but i works like a volume pot lol
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I replaced all the electronics outside of pickups and wires. I did this just recently, I'm not getting any sound from the "bridge" pickup, but I don't really care.

I think I might be getting a '59 and Custom Custom for this thing instead of the P-90s and Lipstick. I figure I need a solidbody guitar with humbuckers for the stuff my Artcore can't do. Then I don't have to get 2 new guitars in the near future (hopefully I'll just need the Artcore, a Fender Mustang, and a 2 'bucker guitar).

Poll will be up for this and pics will come tomorrow.
Well, I painted it today. Not complete as of yet, need to run out and get some more paint. I'm matching the headstock and body. You guys and gals probably won't dig the color, but it's what I think will look good with what I'll have on it.

Pics to come later on this fine day.
Here's my starting point.

My crude painting station...(2 clothes-line holder uppers and a wire hanger bent and twisted to hell)
Scuff Sand (with something like 600 grit, did this for about an hour or so)

Note: The headstock is also scuff sanded at this point, I do believe.

And the first few coats (looks slightly better now, but a few tacky spots caught some of the **** floating outside, so I'll get pics of the full white finish tomorrow)

And the matching headstock...

Note: The run is not really visible now, I sanded it out and coated it again. It's still slightly visible, but I'll fix that tomorrow. I made out a small list.

And finally, a broken fan...
PLP FTW!

Would you mind posting this "over there" as well? I just swung by for a visit
Lol, certainly. Gotta start a new thread though.

EDIT: Posted. Same thread though.
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 19, 2006,
Anyone think I should put Competition stripes on this thing? The headstock will be bland so I think I'll put a logo on it along with stripes.

Choice of Colors:
-Gold
-Silver
-Copper
-Black
-Tubescreamer-green
-Metallic Blue
-Blue
-Red

Anybody?
Last edited by SuperAnalytical at Jul 21, 2006,
Do a surf green with a white or pearloid type competition stripe

or

Go Daphne Blue and do a white stripe.

Is it up to you

mustangs have the coolest paint jobs
Did I tell anyone that I somehow ripped out a huge chunk of my fretboard while taking off tape I put on to protect it from the spray paint?
+1 on the pics.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
+1 on not being able to upload them from my Mom's stupid camera.

I think the chunk of it was there when I got it. But I don't know. I sanded the rough parts of it out so it's ok now. Maybe a new neck is in order.
I say go with tubescreamer green for the stripes. that would look pretty sick (no pun intended).
I don't do drugs. Music is my high.