i dont know but does it?

like, tweed covering, leather, or just plain wood + varnish...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

not really because of the way speakers reverberate thru their enclosure. all it really would do is dampen the sound coming out of the sides.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
the real answer is yes, but the tone is not effected to a degree that most people would notice, so i would go with a tolex because its cheap and durable, next laquored tweed because it looks nice and ages well, and its pretty durable.
Unless you covered a cab with 8 layers of sheep's whool, I dare anyone to say there's an audible difference in tone between coverings...
Last edited by markom89 at Jul 8, 2006,
maby leather would change it more than others, really different coverings change the resonance frequency of the cab a little so wether or not you hear the difference might be mojo to some but there is a difference thats important to know, if you put a scope on any cabinet you could see the difference but it would be slight and maby inaudible.
^^ theres no difference. its a bunch of bs started by guitar companies long ago that people have read and believe now. nothing really changes the tone other then unplugging it.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by metalmilitia74
^^ theres no difference. its a bunch of bs started by guitar companies long ago that people have read and believe now. nothing really changes the tone other then unplugging it.

you are the perfect example of ignorance, it does change your tone, period, end of story, if people try to tell you it doesnt then they are liars because it does, will that change be audible or not, maby, it depends on your ear but really if you want better tone get new speakers or a new amp that changes tone so everyone can hear it not just people who have a good ear, and if you can hear a difference then take the one that sounds better to you, follow your ear no matter what, if it sounds better to you then it sounds better, it doesnt matter what other people say to you, good tone is a very personal thing, so does it change your tone you ask? i dont know, you tell me, does it?
yeah cause all humans have dog hearing to pickup on the slightest audible changes. WOW. and you call me ignorant?? ok jarhead. and besides did you even graduate from high school, cause your punctuation sucks ass. but hey im the ignorant one.

any way the marine is just trying to force what he read somewhere (well probably had read to him). unless your planing on sticking a stethyscope up to it and trying to hear a change then it dont matter. cover it in rubber dog sh*t, hell itll sound the same but look funny as hell.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
i doubt there are tone differences in the covering of a cabinet. if there was, everyone would first: advertise what tolex does to your sound
second:tolex would cost more because it "changes" your sound
third: everything would be covered with one thing.

saying that covering affets sound is nonsense, ive seen cabinets without covering kick some major ass
^^ word, my brotha

word to ya mutha
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
uhh i hate to rain on your parade but im not a marine, so no i wasnt forced to read it anywhere, yes my punctuation sucks but sence when am i being graded for this, and if you dont beleve me when i say that an amps covering does effect tone look it up yourself, it isnt mojo (there is a thing that is mojo but it can allways be described as something else), oh and i also supose that a nitrocellulose laquor on a guitar sounds the exact same as a spraypainted guitar right??? because that isnt the case different materials reflect and adsorb sound differently theres no doubt about that, why do you argue with me?? its simple phisics, go back and learn some ignorance can be cured with knowlage. and yea that was one big ass sentence, but hey read some old enlish texts some go pages without a period.
^yah, but does it really matter? the point is that the audible differences are so slight that its just exagerated pickyness that you wouldnt buy a cab because it didnt feature a cab covering that was more suited for your tone, so unless you play through your cab with some fantastic tone monitor to make sure you tone doesnt deviate then you have somethign up your anus. If thats the case, that anythign absorbed and featured can change the tone of yoru cab, woudl you go so far as you isloating your cab on stage so that it can naturaly reverberate, or suspend it in mid air somehow because the floor is obsorbing all the sound waves that its deadening your tone? dont get your panties in a bunch, the real point is, its impractical to be that picky bucause the difference is so minimal. So stop trying to prove your point, youre just being an ass.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Quote by sempri_fi
i also supose that a nitrocellulose laquor on a guitar sounds the exact same as a spraypainted guitar right??? because that isnt the case different materials reflect and adsorb sound differently theres no doubt about that,

That's silly, If the finish on your cab wood, tonwise, mattered as much as it did on your guitar, surley they would make it out mahogony rather than pine and finish it with paint rather then tolex or carpet? It does change tone but so little that playing your guitar at a slightly diffrent angle would probbably affect tone more and what about playing live or recording? There's no way you can put the mic in exactly the same place each time you play and that affects tone loads more than any cab finish aswell.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 8, 2006,