mesa = good for anything.

buy a mesa, well if you have the money that is.
Or diesel, Or marshall.
I dont know as many tube amps. But I know those are the favorites.
Bogners are pretty nice too.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
In my opinion, a tube amp is versatile and powerful enough to fit any genre. Ever since I chose Vox, tube amps have been my #1 choice.
Quote by Zach_F
Or diesel, Or marshall.
I dont know as many tube amps. But I know those are the favorites.
Bogners are pretty nice too.

bogners are uber expensive, hence the name, uberschall.
as a deizels
and marshalls speak for themselves.
haha, the store marshalls save you thousand, and the amps set you back a couple.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Alright, you have to ask yourself a few questions. What type of metal? Iron Maiden or Metalica, or Pantera, or BLS? Beacuse you have to know how they got their tones. Start with what you know, like what amps your favorite bands use. Most of the old schoolers used Marshalls, Zakk Wylde still does the JCM800. Krank is growing popularity, check out their site www.krankamps.com. Mesa's are really good yes but there a other factors in question. Like is the clean chanel important to you, Mesa's sucks, at leat the recto's do. The F series is aweosme, but it may not be heavy enough for you. Krank has an excellent clean channel. Plus, what is your budget, becasue tube amps are expensive. About 1200 for the most decent at the least cost. Another key element in tube amp ditortion is volume. You get the killer tones when it is nailing your nuts to your ass! But can you play at the volume where you live? It takes some research to find out what is right for you and I've been through the ringer on this one. Go with your gut is a good reation becasue man I didn't go with my gut the first few times and I'm kickin' myself now, a lot of wasted time and money.

So:
1. What do your fav bands use?
2. What style is your personal fav?
3. What's your budget?
4. Can you play it loud?

Thoes are some key questions any amp search needs to deal with.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Hudson "redchops" Handel
You tend to get a very mushy sound if you try to play loud and fast through a solid state amp. Tube amps are just better in my opinion. And don't worry about not being able to get the right sound, thats why they make Pedals (BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone)
Quote by redchops
Alright, you have to ask yourself a few questions. What type of metal? Iron Maiden or Metalica, or Pantera, or BLS? Beacuse you have to know how they got their tones. Start with what you know, like what amps your favorite bands use. Most of the old schoolers used Marshalls, Zakk Wylde still does the JCM800. Krank is growing popularity, check out their site www.krankamps.com. Mesa's are really good yes but there a other factors in question. Like is the clean chanel important to you, Mesa's sucks, at leat the recto's do. The F series is aweosme, but it may not be heavy enough for you. Krank has an excellent clean channel. Plus, what is your budget, becasue tube amps are expensive. About 1200 for the most decent at the least cost. Another key element in tube amp ditortion is volume. You get the killer tones when it is nailing your nuts to your ass! But can you play at the volume where you live? It takes some research to find out what is right for you and I've been through the ringer on this one. Go with your gut is a good reation becasue man I didn't go with my gut the first few times and I'm kickin' myself now, a lot of wasted time and money.

So:
1. What do your fav bands use?
2. What style is your personal fav?
3. What's your budget?
4. Can you play it loud?

Thoes are some key questions any amp search needs to deal with.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to help.

Hudson "redchops" Handel

im not fuking reading that
My budget was around $1500, as I was planning to get a new amp and guitar next summer when I can get a job, but now I think I'd be better off buying the amp first because that seems to affect tone more and then getting a new guitar later.
Quote by Free the Beast
You tend to get a very mushy sound if you try to play loud and fast through a solid state amp. Tube amps are just better in my opinion. And don't worry about not being able to get the right sound, thats why they make Pedals (BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone)

you are a class "A" idiot.

topic starter: so you have $1500 and want a metal amp. good. now do you have any preference bright to dark tone wise?

right off, a few amps i thinkyou should check out are
ENGL powerball- it's bright, more gain that any other amp ever. amazingly brewtall. goes fro $1100 to $1500 used. sound clips at www.rocksolidamps.com

mesa Mark IV - very very versitle. good tight sound, a little on the dark side. really chunky. can get a little confusing as there are over 90 knobs and switches.

peavey 5150, you can get a used one for hella cheap and use the rest for a sweet cab and guitar. it's pretty dark sounding, very very very agressive. it's one pissed off beast. massive amounts of gain. it's clean, while useable, ins't spectacular (unless you know how to eq).

as far as krank, i'm a bit iffy on them. i hear the rev. 1 is good. but the krankenstien i played liked nutts.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
as far as krank, i'm a bit iffy on them. i hear the rev. 1 is good. but the krankenstien i played liked nutts.

So the Krank amp has a preferance for "nutts" does it? That's strange, seeing as how amps are inanimate objects that cannot have preference. Say what you mean, it saves everyone time.

I've never had the good fortune to own or try a tube amp, so all I can tell you is that my guitar teacher's JCM800 kicks major ass (he won't let me play on it yet )
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo

i think everybody understands "licked nutts" to mean it sucked fairly easily.

why did it suck?

sounded like a fat kind in a winter coat was standing infront of the speakers. no prescence or treble at all. just one massive clump of fizzy low mids.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i understood his terminology, stop spamming the thread.

but almost any high gain tube amp will be good for metal. just some are better than others. my JSX gets an awesome metal tone (mesa to pantera with some balls) but a JCM800 has a certain sound that is awesome. same with a mesa, engl, or framus all great amps, depends on what you like.
chunky
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565