Hi guys, so obviously as in the thread title I have a problem with my guitar.

Basically it's this - I will either tune my guitar by ear (I have a pretty good ear) or by tuner, and each individual string is in tune. I might play an emaj chord and it will sound fine, but there's a problem on my low e-string, where playing it open it's in tune, but when I play on the fifth fret and compare to the A string it's incredibly sharp. I'm not sure why this is, like I said playing open chords down the bottom of the neck sounds fine, but if I play an Amaj barre chord it really sounds off because of that e string.

Anyone know why there would be such a difference in sound?

I can record the difference in tune if it helps

Any comments would be hugely appreciated! I'm extremely sensitive to tonal differences and it's been pissing me off for a really long time.
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
well i had the same problem...i tuned by ear to what it thought was standard, but it actually turned out to be a new tuning..idk what to call it. its real cool though.

anyway, i tuned with a tuner. just do it perfect.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
maybe old strings? in which case you just need to re string it
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
im not understanding the question exactly but what i think is happening is your neck is gaining tension. as you tune your strings the tension on the neck gets harder causing them to tighten and raise pitch, but since you tune your high strings last it does not effect them, only the strings you tuned first
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Quote by MedicreDemon
ehh i have no idea why i havent played that long just try changing strings lol

why would you post if you dont know?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
I think you have an intonation problem. You can test this by fretting the 12th fret and seeing if it the same tone as the open strum. It doesn't matter if you are in tune while doing it either, just as long as open and 12 are the same tone.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
Sounds like you need to adjust the intonation.

From wikibooks:
You may notice each string on the bridge sits in a "saddle". Depending on your setup, you might notice the saddles may be in different positions: some might be pushed forward and others might be pushed back, sometimes slightly. The positioning of the saddle effectively changes the length of the vibrating string. Tune the guitar to concert pitch with the aid of an electronic tuner, making sure the open strings are perfectly in tune. Play the 9th and 12th fret harmonics, then play the fretted notes. If the fretted notes are sharp, the string is too short and the saddle needs to be pushed back toward the base of the bridge. If the note is flat, the string is too long and the saddle needs to be pushed up toward the nut. Repeat this procedure for each string. Adjusting the intonation should be done every few months or at least twice a year.
Thanks for all the responses!

I think I could have been a bit more specific though, my strings are brand new, and it was happening with the older sets too, and it doesn't matter when I tune by ear or tuner it's still the same, I had my own suspicions it was neck tension or intonation, which I'm almost sure on now, thanks lepiv & 94 hours. question is, what now? is it a problem for a guitar doctor?
Quote by Xiang
Thanks for all the responses!

I think I could have been a bit more specific though, my strings are brand new, and it was happening with the older sets too, and it doesn't matter when I tune by ear or tuner it's still the same, I had my own suspicions it was neck tension or intonation, which I'm almost sure on now, thanks lepiv & 94 hours. question is, what now? is it a problem for a guitar doctor?

i dont know that much bout intonation but as far as neck tension goes nah its no big deal. just go back over the string you tuned first and touch em up to be sure. you know like tune the first strings twice to be sure
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...

Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.

If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.

If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.

Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

# 2 intonation screw...

arrow points.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 8, 2006,
Quote by Gin_Rummy
Intonation...?

I was scrolling down thinking to myself: "....intontation....?"

then I read your post
Quote by Gin_Rummy
Intonation...?

sounds like it to me, cept i can't think why it would only be on one string

EDIT: sorry this was a bit late, youve already figured that out
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
guys you've been legendary.

thanks for the pics jj1565!
any problems just repost, we'll figure it out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011