Howdy, I'm after some advice for my lazy saturday morning project.

I've been making a board to restring my guitars on, because I'm one of those people who likes to do everything on the floor or bed, and it's a bit difficult when the cat is sleeping there (fur in pickups anyone?!)

So this morning I decided to make one using bits and peices around the house. It's not a super pro job or anything, I just wanted something that'd do the job. Anywho, this is how it's looking so far:

I wanted some covering on the wood to protect the guitars, so I found some towel-like material (ergh, yellow!) which I'll stretch out to cover the board and nail/staple(?) down. Unfortunately it was the only colour... there's a selection of other coloured materials in the cupboard but they were thinner. I can go have another look around, but I think I'm warming up to the yellow now.

Anyway, advice...
What's the best way to stick down foam?
There's a few panels that need to be stuck together:

and I'll need to stick all the foam bits down to the wood somehow. I can either stick them directly to the wood, or I can stick them to the material... but I'm not sure which way would be best.

Should end up working like this:

Any advice or opinions or suggestions would be appreciated before I start permanently fixing things down.
Cheers!
hot glue gun. i know its a little martha stewart-ish but it works.
Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Thats pretty cool man
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Is that really necessary? Lol. You must have a lot of guitars to need a device like that. You're lucky it's saturday morning for you. It's a boring Friday night for me. You're probably gonna need to staple those to the wood somehow...
^^ It's probably not necessary, and I dont think I'll ever go above 3 guitars... but lets just say I'm hungover and there's nothing better than trying to be creative on a Saturday after a big night... clearly I'm pretty successful at that .
Plus, I found that plank of wood in the garage and it's too big for a pedal board so I figured it a restringing board was something handy to have around the place instead.

Might go glue gun then. I think I'll nail the corners of the material and staple along the sides... I don't think staples will work for the foam because the panels are in weird shapes. Will normal super glue work for the foam, or a combo of hot glue gun and super glue? And also should I glue the foam to the material or onto the wood? I'm not sure if it matters.

Am thinking now of leaving the yellow material as one layer, and then putting a thinner grey or black layer on top. The yellow makes it happy, but it looks a little childish to me. I dunno...!

Thanks for the suggestions/feedback, it's appreciated!
they make special glue for foam that you can get at craft stores or whatnot
it might not be the greatest invention ever, but hey, better than sitting and watching tv
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Instead of yellow, make it black.

Black is goood.
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Pretty original idea... I like it. I always seem to have to restring it off a table and I can never get at the headstock that way.. neat idea.
I made one of those.... well half of one. On my lazy sunday I was really lazy and I quit when I could find the staple gun. I wonder where it is?

Good job though, looks like you made it pretty well.
Cheers!
I decided to leave the yellow material for protection, and then put black material over the top. Also going to make a little spot to sit a tuner (seeing as I pretty much only use my tu-2 these days I have a spare korg one, but I'll make it removable anyway).
Should be finished by tonight
Thanks again for the feedback!
^ Hmm, I hadn't really thought of that as I haven't got any string-through guitars, but even if I did I dont think it would cause any problems because it'd still allow you to flip the guitar over while keeping it in a good position.
I got the idea ages ago when watching those "how to string your guitar" videos (like the one from the D'Addario site) and I made it more for helping out accessibility at the headstock area.

anywho:

The black material wasn't big enough so I had to go with blue instead

and I made a tiny cutout as well so that a string winder could fit on.

So yeh, it does the job, I'm happy... pretty productive weekend really
Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions and all that .

Edit: Oh I forgot mention I ended up using the glue gun, worked a treat. Tried some craft glue first but it sort of ate away at the foam. Cheers metalmilitia74 for the suggestion!
Last edited by odway at Jul 10, 2006,
that's a badass idea. I usually just throw a towel out and use my planet waves headstock stand.

I might make one of those.
Wow! You have the same tuner as me! *Realises the non-importanceness of that statement*. Anyways, thats pretty cool man! I love building stuff as well. But im in the middle of my first guitar-related project at the minute: The pedalboard! Only diagrams at the minute though. I'll have pics when Im done. Pedalboard