I recently heard about a guy taking a $500 Epiphone Korina Flying V and making it sound like a $10,000 vintage Gibson Korina Flying V with a few modifications. (pickups, tuners, wiring, hardware)

The guy was saying how it sounded very, very close, but not exact. He also mentioned that the Gibson still sounded a little better, but was also over $9000 more.

Through a good amp, will lower-grade wood have nearly the same tone as higher grade wood of the same species with the same settings? (pickups, strings, etc.)

Post what you think.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ya it makes a difference in tone sustain and also resonance. plus some woods sound better as they get older while some will only sound as good as they did when they came outa the box (thats without modifications by the way)
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
I personally like mahogany over anything. Seems to sound bigger and sustain better. I don't know a whole heap about HIGH quality woods but i don't think it would make so much difference. My V is mahognay, only costed like 400 bucks and sustains better than my jackson that was 1100... The pickups and hardware kick ass on the jackson though...
depends on the wood, the way its clamped, all the stuff
Squier Stratocaster
B.C. Rich Beast
Conrad 40110 (12-string Acoustic)
15 Watt Squier Amp
12 Watt B.C. Rich Amp
PODxt Live
Quote by 94 hours
ya it makes a difference in tone sustain and also resonance. plus some woods sound better as they get older while some will only sound as good as they did when they came outa the box (thats without modifications by the way)

But I'm not talking about a guitar without mods. I'm talking about two guitars that are identical in every aspect except for the wood. For the sake of discussion, let's say one is made from lower-grade mahogany and one is made of higher-grade African Mahogany.

Everything with them is identical, except for the wood quality. Same pups, hardware, wiring, etc. and played through the same amp with the same settings.

Do you think the difference would be that big?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
well...if the wood is all knots..then yeah the'll sound different..but if one is your normal "good" quality wood and one is AAAA wood..i dont thet'll sound to different
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
I think it can make difference, for sure. But I also think the biggest difference is between your ears, really.
As in, when you know it's the sickest, cleanest and most expensive slab of Mahogany ever known to man, and it's your guitar, you will probably subconsciously make it sound better in your head.