I have a Russian EHX Big Muff Pi right now, and it's been serving me pretty well, although I'm kind of wanting more of a gritty, punchy overdriven sound rather than a fat distortion now. I was thinking of maybe exchanging my Muff for a Boss ODB-3 or a ProCo Rat. Does anyone know some good pedals that would meet my criteria?

I was also thinking of getting a chorus pedal - which ones are good? How will it effect a distorted tone?

Finally, my amp has a built-in compressor, but I was wondering if an actual pedal would be better than the built-in one? Again, how will compression effect a distorted/chorused tone?
I just ordered a MXR M-181 Blowtorch. It supposedly puts the distortion around the mids. I haven't been able to try it out though because it's brand new and no one carries it. It also has an active eq so you can give your tone more punch.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
Dont trade a EHX Russian Big Muff for a Boss ODB-3. The Boss is a sad excuse for a pedal.

If you want a more small distortion trade the Russian in for an American and lower your gain.

Chorus is only really useful on cleans (imo), it sounds like a really nice lush clean sound.

Compression just evens everything out, and a good compressor will likely be much better than your amp's.
haha
^ yeah. also if you ever just wanna do any out there stuff or have some crazy effects for just a solo or something a synthesizer and delay might do you some good. one problem is synthesizer pedals are starting to cost too much except for the Digitech Synth Wah.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Dont trade a EHX Russian Big Muff for a Boss ODB-3. The Boss is a sad excuse for a pedal.

If you want a more small distortion trade the Russian in for an American and lower your gain.

Chorus is only really useful on cleans (imo), it sounds like a really nice lush clean sound.

Compression just evens everything out, and a good compressor will likely be much better than your amp's.

Hmm... okay. My playing style is like Justin Chancellor's from Tool, so I would be using the chorus more on cleaner parts, but I was just wondering what it would do to a dirty sound.

Quote by Bassman86
I just ordered a MXR M-181 Blowtorch. It supposedly puts the distortion around the mids. I haven't been able to try it out though because it's brand new and no one carries it. It also has an active eq so you can give your tone more punch.

Let me know how that works out

Is a compressor recommended for playing in general? I knew that it kinda levelled out the sound, but is it really as necessary as some people say it is?

I was also looking at the SansAmp Bass Driver; I know it's not really a distortion pedal, but I heard the EQ'ing and the Drive function are pretty good at getting a gritty tone.
the ODB-3 is an overdrive, not a distortion, don't expect it to do the job of a distortion pedal... as so much ppl on this forum despises it for. as for punch, it depends on ur bass more so than the pedal.

most compressor pedals will do a much better job than ur amp compressor.

i use an ODB-3 to LMB-3 to amp set up, and the amount of distortion and punch will vary depending on the settingso n ur compressor. if its just a regular compressor and not a limitter/enhancer than the compressor will just affect volume for the most part. chorus pedal i hav no clue.

best thing to do is to try em side by side. a good guitar store won't mind spending a half hour so u can try out a bunch of diff pedals.
Quote by Charlatan_001

I was also looking at the SansAmp Bass Driver; I know it's not really a distortion pedal, but I heard the EQ'ing and the Drive function are pretty good at getting a gritty tone.

The Sansamp is awesome, gives you a mega sweet tube-y overdriven sound.
haha
go for the sans amp,

and for the roland guy they make a bass version of that, i don't know if it does the orchestra stuff though.
Quote by mangablade
mind if i add some pedal related questions!?

Roland GR-20: i want the orchestral backing, would it be any good if i used it with bass, or is it really just for guitar?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ruw7dtlsYpI&search=bill%20bailey
if you want an example of its awesome usage

You can buy a pickup for a bass.

Ok, on topic:
First off- The Blowtorch owns, but so does the Ratt, so try them out and take your pick.

You might also want a wah pedal, for synthy sounds, and just for the heck of it. I have a delay in my rig, but its not very popular with bass, as most people prefer a dry bass sound. I just like it for ambient sounds, I often use the sweep filter when playing Tool-esque lines (Line 6 Echo Park delay).

Compressors are nice, I hear Digitech's "Bass Squeeze" is very nice sounding, but both Ashdown and Aphex make killer ones if you have the cash.
Quote by MastaBassist10
You can buy a pickup for a bass.

what are you talking about ?
Quote by Embryodead
the roland synth has a bass version.

oh ok lol.

well still, he said "Pickup" for bass. so im just guessing it was supposed to say pedal?

oh well thanks.

MY BAD. I NOW UNDERSTAND HOW THE MIDI/SYNTH/PICKUP THING WORKS!! SRY
Last edited by mangablade at Jul 9, 2006,