Hi im going to replace guitar player in a band and i was wondering what would be good for a metal/hardcore band the other guitar player uses a dual but dosnt want me getting it he says get the tripple but i kind of wanted a single but not sure if its got the gain like the Dual and enough power i play an esp explore so plz help me out guys i was considering the dual as well but i dont want a lot of power like tripple so yah just thought id put that in
There's absolutely no need for a Triple unless you're playing arena's every night. If you're not gonna use any cleans, look into the Peavey 5150/6505. You can get a 5150 off Ebay on the cheap nowadays.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by TKG9876
Hi im going to replace guitar player in a band and i was wondering what would be good for a metal/hardcore band the other guitar player uses a dual but dosnt want me getting it he says get the tripple but i kind of wanted a single but not sure if its got the gain like the Dual and enough power i play an esp explore so plz help me out guys i was considering the dual as well but i dont want a lot of power like tripple so yah just thought id put that in

first off, learn how to type. (and dont come back at me with the "youre not typing right either dummy! theres an apostrophy in DONT! hahahaaha pwnz0r3!" cuz its not that cool)

anyways, to be helpful...

go with whatever you want. The Dual and the Triple sound the same. And all you kids riding the "0h 150 waTt5 iz t00 mnch!" bandwagon need to jump off.

When youre dealing with that much gain in the pre-amp it doesnt matter how many watts the power amp section has. Even with 100watts you have more headroom then you will ever need. So unless you plan to crank all the volume pots to 10, theres no difference between the dual and triple.

Also, the 5150/6505 is 120watts....30watts less then a Triple Recto...think about that.

Even with 50watts youre going to have a hard time pushing the amp. By the time you have it to that "pushed" sound it will be way too loud anyways and youll be drowning out the rest of your band...and recieving hearing loss at the same time.

The only thing that headroom really even effects on high gain amps such as a Recto is the cleans...but like I said, with a 50watt head driving just one cab...by the time you start to really push it it will be too loud anyways.

all IMO anyways.

end rant
Last edited by Blinded0n1sidE at Jul 8, 2006,
Blinded0n1sidE, you arer basicly saying that the dual and tripple are about the same. The cleans are better on the tripple though. But you know why I chose the dual over the tripple...
I play the amp EVERY DAY, thats like $200 less per year in glass!!! SO if for no other reason than its cheaper to run, get the dual.
Sound-wise they are pretty much ALL THE SAME.

Honestly, 150 watts is more than you'll ever need. You really don't need to consider the Triple. You'll be paying a few hundred more $$$ for an extra 50 watts that you won't need.

The Dual Rectifier of course runs at 100 watts. Realistically, still more than you'll probably ever need in your life. But of course, it does offer that bit of extra headroom than a Single. But benefit over the Single is that the Dual has 3 different channels to utilize.

The Single Rectifier is of course 50 watts. Even this amp will probably more than enough for your needs. Benefits? Cheaper to re-tube, and it WILL be easy to hit saturation with this amp. It's also your cheapest option, with exactly the same sound, and still more loudness than you'll need.

Honestly... the only deciding factor for me would be.... (a) money, (b) channels.

(a) If you can't afford the Dual, you obviously gotta go for the Single. (etc)

(b) The Dual features 3 channels. The Single only 2 channels. Trust me, it is very convenient and nice to have an extra channel. Frankly, 1 channel for cleans and 1 channel for "dirty" just isn't enough for me (you can only "save" or use one setting). For this reason alone, I'd probably go for the Dual (and of course, the Triple also has 3 channels).
Quote by Vomitorator
Blinded0n1sidE, you arer basicly saying that the dual and tripple are about the same. The cleans are better on the tripple though. But you know why I chose the dual over the tripple...
I play the amp EVERY DAY, thats like $200 less per year in glass!!! SO if for no other reason than its cheaper to run, get the dual.

Yeah. The Dual and Triple are basically the same...I dont see why anybody would spend that extra money on the Triple...
i'd say avoid a recto in general since the other guitarist is using one, unless you plan on using radically different eq settings. both rectos together will probably just make a mush of sounds and neither of you will be able to cut thru. try looking for a more upper mids based amp that will compliment the other guitarist's recto. i'd vote for a jcm800, i saw blessed by a broken heart and one guitarist had a triple rec, the other had a jcm800 and even tho the venue was lame their tone was incredible.
^ Good point. But maybe something voiced for more modern tones. DSL/TSL? XXX? JCM900?

One guitarist for the Bled uses a Recto and the other a TSL...and they sound awesome!

Also another band I saw live recently, Driven Under (check their myspace!), their guitarists used a Recto and a TSL and it sounds awesome as well.
well imo the single and dual sound pretty differen't. the single had a lot more cut and agression. as the dual had more of a refined sound. (the single had more gain too)

blindsided. actually, the mesa doesn't have much pre-amp gain. it's like a marshall in the sence that you need some power amp gain to usually have enough for extreme music. and the peavey's on the other hand, the gain is more based in the pre-amp. so the poweramp doesn't hold as much weight in the overall tone.

i agree with who ever said to get something voiced differently. and ENGL powerball would be great. so would a peavey 5150.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
driven under?? My Friends in that band they live in my hometoen as u know there on tour
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ Good point. But maybe something voiced for more modern tones. DSL/TSL? XXX? JCM900?

One guitarist for the Bled uses a Recto and the other a TSL...and they sound awesome!

Also another band I saw live recently, Driven Under (check their myspace!), their guitarists used a Recto and a TSL and it sounds awesome as well.

Ohh and just a side note justin yes has the tsl now after 5 years but when they first started he used a single rec and thats whats recorded on there cd's
^ Driven Under? From montana er whatever? I thought he said he got the TSL just recently because he didnt like the sound from the Recto. idk lol

derek. yea. i know. youre right. whats new. i was ranting, which gives me the right to be wrong on a few points.
Quote by ihatepigum
i'd say avoid a recto in general since the other guitarist is using one, unless you plan on using radically different eq settings. both rectos together will probably just make a mush of sounds and neither of you will be able to cut thru. try looking for a more upper mids based amp that will compliment the other guitarist's recto. i'd vote for a jcm800, i saw blessed by a broken heart and one guitarist had a triple rec, the other had a jcm800 and even tho the venue was lame their tone was incredible.

Agreed. I have owned/currently own a Recto, Tremoverb, F50, Dual Rec, and soon to be a Nomad55 but I must steer you away from the Mesa.

2 Rec's in a band together wont sound good.
well im a recto fiend i just bought the Triple and the clean is alot nicer on the triple the distortion is a tad harsher too, and you dont have to crank a triple to get a good breakup its at about 5 or 6 you get a good distortion
dude, 5 or 6 would be ear shattering loud.

blindsided:
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09

i agree with who ever said to get something voiced differently. and ENGL powerball would be great. so would a peavey 5150.

ENGL Fireball? A local band uses a Single Recto/Fireball set-up and it has amazing tone.

This is not advertisement below!!:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=8618249

Listen to the songs. That is amazing tone, especially live.