I'm in the market for a new guitar, looking to spend 400-700 on it.

Right now I'm using a crappy Epi SG Special. It's been messed with and experimented on sooo much.. Everything's out of place, sustain sucks.. I think the pups are horrible, but I might be wrong.

Anyway.. I'm using a Roland Cube 60, looking to upgrade my amp when I find someone around here who's serious about playing music that doesn't blow. (HxC sucks, I'm tired of poser kids who just growl and mash drop D chords).

Anyway... I like more modern sounding stuff, like Anberlin, Alterbridge (AB being the hardest I'll go with tones), and stuff like Lit and Story of the Year, and I like the Hold Steady as well (But not many people know about them).

Anyway.. I was thinking either the 550 USD SE Custom PRS or an SZ720FM from Ibanez. I'd like some opinions from people who've had experience with the guitars, not just people restating some reviews or other posts seen on UG. What are the Pros/Cons of both guitars, and which would be better overall?
Think is, I don't think "shredding" is very musical. I have no problem with soloing, just at 200 bpm.. it loses it's distinct sound in songs. It sounds cool and all, I just don't think it goes well in songs. Don't get me wrong, I like soloing, and I think the right solo sounds perfect in songs. Tremonti's solos are pretty fast, they sound nice, but he slows them down a lot too. He doesn't just rip throughout all his songs.

Will the PRS be ok for playing mid speed solos with occasional fast licks?

And, how does the ibanez handle chords? Do they sound good or no?
You could consider going to get your Epi SG professionally set up...it could make a HUGE difference.
^I was considering that for a while, until my friend let it drop on the concrete. Volume knob broke, left a huge dent in the headstock, D tuner is loose as hell, and when it hit the floor the knob on the pickup selector went... somewhere.. and it's gone. Couldn't find it. ><

I don't know, I just think it'd be nicer to upgrade to a 500 dollar guitar instead of spending 150 on pickups, getting it all set up professionally, having to replace parts and touch up finish. Plus, I could sell this to my brother for around 80, probably 100 with the starter amp that came with it.
It really doesn't matter. Both would be great playing guitars. Just because one is an Ibanez doesn't mean its mean't for shredding, its an SZ for gods sake.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Exactly, a guitar that isn't "made" for shredding can still be shredded on. It's just about the feel of the guitar that Marty seems to like.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Last edited by BobFromReboot at Jul 8, 2006,
i would go for the ibanez. but maybe youd like the PRS more from the decriptions you gave us. check em both out, then go from there.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
I'm in the process of owning both, but i'd have to say that the SE Singlecut is really a fine guitar. Upper fret access isn't as hard as on an LP either.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
I love my tremonti se, and i'm guessing the se custom is the same. I just prefer singlecuts. There isn't really much between the two guitars you mention but i think i'd get the prs. As far as playability you can do anything on either of them, neither will limit your ability.
Hmm

Well, I went to try out an SZ520 today at a local music shop.

Disappointed, not by the actual instrument.. But..

It was way out of tune, and the strings were so old... They felt like they were over 2 years old.. So rough and dry.. Slightly out of tune as well, the guy said it was fine though. -.-

So, it wasn't a happy experience. I liked the sustain on notes though, definitely better than my SG, and being able to reach the upper frets is veeery nice.

I'll probably go with the Ibanez, it looks so much nicer in person than it does in pictures. I'll go with a 720 instead of 520 though.
Nice choice!
I have a 720, the only thing I don't like about it is the fact that I feel it's almost a little too much aesthetically. That's very much a personal opinion though. The SZs are great guitars.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by sg-rocker173
Hmm

Well, I went to try out an SZ520 today at a local music shop.

Disappointed, not by the actual instrument.. But..

It was way out of tune, and the strings were so old... They felt like they were over 2 years old.. So rough and dry.. Slightly out of tune as well, the guy said it was fine though. -.-

So, it wasn't a happy experience. I liked the sustain on notes though, definitely better than my SG, and being able to reach the upper frets is veeery nice.

I'll probably go with the Ibanez, it looks so much nicer in person than it does in pictures. I'll go with a 720 instead of 520 though.

yay. new guitar time