So, I'm saving up for a high-end metal shredding guitar. Upper-fret access is necessary. I would like to be able to get a liquid lead esque tone, but still have more gain on hand if necessary. My budget is anywhere from $1250 to $2250 USD. Guitars I have been looking at Jackson USA soloists (SL1H more specifically), RR1s, also the ESP M-IIs, and I have heard good things about ibanez, but have not played any high-end ones. My Les Paul has the EMG 81/85 setup, and I have been looking at Duncans in this one for sake of clarity, but emgs are still an option.

I'd just like to emphasize again that I'm not looking for versatility. I only want a metal tone, not classic or hard rock, ect. Just metal.

As far as amps go, I've got a Marshall DSL100 half-stack, a 5150 half-stack, and eventually an ENGL Powerball. Also a ridiculous pedalboard.

Most of you will tell me to play them and tell from what I think. Well, most stores (GCs) don't carry all these high-end guitars, or even some of these brands. So I'd like some input to narrow this down before I go and try them out. And I live in the middle of nowhere, so it's at least a 5 hour drive to get to a store that would sell these types of guitars.

Thanks
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jul 8, 2006,
for 2250, you could probably go custom - thats what I would do. But I find jacksons to be the most comfy to play on - just my preferance. You seem to like jacksons too, so I say go for it if you can't find any luthiers to make your dream guitar. Personally, I'd get the rr1 out of the ones you listed. BUT. I know you said its a bit unrealistic to try out all the guitars, but when you're spending that much money, I'd say the drive is worth it
I've been leaning towards jacksons mostly, but I hear bad things about the newer ones. Maybe I could get an 80's model off of ebay or in a shop somewhere that is in pristine condition. Thanks for the advice.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I've been leaning towards jacksons mostly, but I hear bad things about the newer ones. Maybe I could get an 80's model off of ebay or in a shop somewhere that is in pristine condition. Thanks for the advice.

yeah, I've heard that the USA quality dipped a bit when fender bought out jackson - I wouldn't know from experiance, as the only USA jacksons I've tried weren't recently made.
IMO, i think its better for u to get the ESP M-II...its made in Japan so quality will be excellent
I've got an esp from the 80's. It plays really well, but the floyd rose is such a bitch on it for some reason. The action drops down slowly and I get hella buzz. Otherwise it's a really cool guitar.