Hi, I was tuning my guitar, and I broke my string.

What string should I buy to replace it? I shop at guitarcenter to get my stuff, so one from there would be nice.

That's the string I broke
what strings you buy depends on what you play and personal preference so you pretty much gotta gamble. I recommend DR strings though get 10s maybe just so they are medium if you are a beginner.

btw is that a washburn?

Also you gotta replace all the strings if you want it to sound right and feel right
Quote by imnotcommunist
lets make an emo song!!
first play same 2 power chords over and over
have a breakdown every 10 seconds
cry and whimper
dont forget the hair over one eye
and the depressing lyrics on how your teddy bear died!
, dude took a picture of his broken string...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'm guessing since you are asking what string to replace it with, you've never done this before.

SO, there really is no advice we can give you, other than start trying whatever you want until you find something you like.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

So if I plan on replacing it, should I get a new set of 6 or is just one suitable for it?
It's hard to find them NOT in sets of 6...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Buy a full set of 6 strings. Tell the guy at Guitar Center/other guitar supply store what they would recommend for a Les Paul Special II.

*looks at picture again*
Those look like mediums. Ask for a pack of medium gauge strings, and ask what brand they would recommend. Earnie Balls are nice for the price. Elixers are good for some people, others don't like them. The guitar techs at the store should be able to recommend something.

Thanks for posting the picture. Even though people called you noob for it, I needed to see what thickness the strings were. Just for future reference, though, that string is called the B string ;-).
My GC doesn't carry Elixir anymore! I've been playing Elixir mediums for some time now, but they decided not to carry them anymore. Jackholes. What's comparable, lespaul? You seem knowledgeable on this.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

although it's already been said really it's just a matter of jumping around from gauge to gauge and brand to brand until you find something you're comfortable with but definatlly replace the whole set at once or your tone will be off
a little tip which I thought of, because I NEVER replace all my strings at once through plain laziness... is that if you get some industrial dust and throw it over the new string, it'll dullen the sound slightly and match better with the existing strings. I don't really like a too bright tone, which you get with new strings, so it works for me.
[quote="'[G"]uitar']Hi, I was tuning my guitar, and I broke my string.

What string should I buy to replace it? I shop at guitarcenter to get my stuff, so one from there would be nice.

ok so how exactly did this happen were you just trying to get it back in tune or is this after a replacing you old strings and tuning when it snapped.
Quote by SteveHouse
My GC doesn't carry Elixir anymore! I've been playing Elixir mediums for some time now, but they decided not to carry them anymore. Jackholes. What's comparable, lespaul? You seem knowledgeable on this.

You know, there's no perfect match for a certain brand of string.

Some of the more expensive Black Diamonds are just as nice, in my opinion. Such as:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Black-Diamond-Black-Coated-Nickel-Electric-Guitar-StringsLight?sku=102902

Gretcsh makes some pretty nice strings too:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-Stainless-Steel-Flatwound-Guitar-Strings-?sku=101372

I don't know man, it's all about the feel and tone you want. What sounds good, or close to Elixers to me, might be totally different to you. Ask the guys at Guitar Center.
thestrokesrock, Clay Treznum, you guys are dicks. This is the basics thread. He probably doesn't know how to do it, or thinks that the fact it broke at the bottom rather than top has some different effect. Hell, maybe he didn't even know that strings had a peg at the bottom.

So instead of being complete dicks, how about you shut the **** up and help the new guy?

Buy the pack of all 6, that way next time a string breaks you'll have the replacement set. Have the guy at the guitar center or where ever you go show you how to put the strings back on. Get that advice on which strings to use as well. ^_^

You don't need to change them all, unless you're changing string size or thickness...so remember what type of strings you buy. I restrung all 12 strings on my guitar the other day, it was a huge pain in the ass. When the strings are so worn they're completely useless, that's the only time you replace all of your strings. Or, like I said, a string size or gauge change.