I'm in a black metal band and i've hit a writers block. I'm looking for scales that have a kind of dark of haunting feel to them, kinda creepy or whatever; I'm looking for something reminecent of the solo on Metallica's Blackend. Any suggestions?
Last edited by theDecieved1 at Jul 8, 2006,
the natural minor, the harmonic minor, phrygian mode, lydian mode, the diminished scale (only a pattern of wholestep halfstep that repeats itself)
Quote by mikeman
phygrian dominant, and diminished arpeggios.

Yep, diminished is probably your best bet. Gives probably the "darkest" sound out of all the scales.
Another cool thing to think about would be how minor chords sound when you go up 3 semitones at a time, in a diminished shape (e.g., Am, Cm, D#m, F#m). Kind of cliche, but it sounds cool nonetheless.
Also, to mikeman: You're, like, the fourth person I've seen with that exact avatar. Why is it so popular?
Dude, it's Jimmy Freakin Page. I guess Ledzeppelin.com is a pretty popular site.
Quote by mikeman
Dude, it's Jimmy Freakin Page. I guess Ledzeppelin.com is a pretty popular site.

Well I know it's Jimmy Page. It's just weird that so many people here have that exact one... not just a Zep one, but that very same avatar.
A lot of "dark" riffs switch between the minor keys. In the Blackened riff (and I think Enter Sandman too) they seem to imply locrian, with the b5 and b2. They also might throw in the major 2 and perfect 5th, however, which would be more aeolian. Don't be afraid to switch between the modes if it sounds good.

Definitely try mixing in the b5, since it's a dissonant interval to most people it will be more likely to seem "dark" (I know music does not contain emotion, but there are certain intervals or chords that are more LIKELY to get certain reactions from people).
Psychodelia: "I know music does not contain emotion, but ... "

...sorry, what?!?!
Last edited by Nor'Easterbass at Jul 9, 2006,
^ you heard right boy , now go back to listening to your gilmour solos :P
Quote by codybcool
Stagg's are the kind of brand that you see selling on eBay from a 0 feedback Chinese man for 99p and no one buys them.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
Psychodelia: "I know music does not contain emotion, but ... "

...sorry, what?!?!

This is an article by spaivxx that basically sums up my feelings on emotion in music: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377401

I'm not saying music can't give you emotional feelings, because it certainly does. The emotion is just in the listener, not in the sound. As the above article points out, there are certain sounds that are more likely to get certain emotional responses.