Hay ive been playing guitar for a long while now, and have jammed with a few ppl and some bands, so im not a total beginner.. But the thing is, I want to change my style of playing.

Ive been tought the traditional way of playing chords, which is to barre the whole chord with your fore finger (obviously) while your thumb is near the middle of the back of the neck... Well, im sick of it to tell you the truth. It doesnt give me much freedom with my other fingers to move them around and hit other notes while hitting the chord, sorry its abit hard to explain what i mean.

I mean, take Under the Bridge (red hot chili peppers) for example, when he starts singing " I drive on her streets cause shes my companion", Frusciante plays the same chords over, but instead adds other notes to the chord while they are still ringing, and you see, I can do that, but it just doesnt feel natural, or good...
I actually tried playing it Frusciante's way, after watching alot of his videos to get his technique on the song, and it felt so much damn better. It felt like 'this is what its meant to feel like'. But the problem for me is that when I actually do it, some of the strings dont actually ring out properly because instead of barring, I use my thumb for the bass note, and my other fingers each on their string, sorta getting in the way of the other strings!

LOL, what I really want to know is, if there is anybody here who can lead me, or help me becoming better at the thumb around the neck style, instead of barring the whole chord... Any help what so ever would be so damn sweet.
Last edited by Emil_Gorecki at Jul 8, 2006,
dont try and learn other peoples playing styles

take watch and imitate

but dont try and copy

be your own guitarist

not john's
yeah man, I know what you mean, but I honestly dont care who plays like that. I want to be able to learn so I can play all styles, and forms of the guitar so i have more versatility
so listen to a different variety of music, search the internet for diiferent articles on guitarist to see how they play and tips
Quote by Emil_Gorecki
yeah man, I know what you mean, but I honestly dont care who plays like that. I want to be able to learn so I can play all styles, and forms of the guitar so i have more versatility
}

Learn some metal, i mean technical metal, not just crap, learning metal will teach you more techniques, atl. picking, sweep picking etc.
man, i dont need any picking or benind or shredding technique help lol, all i want is for somebody to help me out on the thumb over neck style of guitar playing... its all i ask
Quote by Emil_Gorecki
Hay ive been playing guitar for a long while now, and have jammed with a few ppl and some bands, so im not a total beginner.. But the thing is, I want to change my style of playing.

Ive been tought the traditional way of playing chords, which is to barre the whole chord with your fore finger (obviously) while your thumb is near the middle of the back of the neck... Well, im sick of it to tell you the truth. It doesnt give me much freedom with my other fingers to move them around and hit other notes while hitting the chord, sorry its abit hard to explain what i mean.

I mean, take Under the Bridge (red hot chili peppers) for example, when he starts singing " I drive on her streets cause shes my companion", Frusciante plays the same chords over, but instead adds other notes to the chord while they are still ringing, and you see, I can do that, but it just doesnt feel natural, or good...
I actually tried playing it Frusciante's way, after watching alot of his videos to get his technique on the song, and it felt so much damn better. It felt like 'this is what its meant to feel like'. But the problem for me is that when I actually do it, some of the strings dont actually ring out properly because instead of barring, I use my thumb for the bass note, and my other fingers each on their string, sorta getting in the way of the other strings!

LOL, what I really want to know is, if there is anybody here who can lead me, or help me becoming better at the thumb around the neck style, instead of barring the whole chord... Any help what so ever would be so damn sweet.

the thing is, Frusciante actually uses his thhumb to play some of the six fingered chords, so perhaps in that particular situation you were correct in doing so.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
hmm... i find the thumb over neck easy to pickup if you start to learn Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix. also careful on what guitars you do it on since strats are easier then on a classical (just trust me on this). besides that its an alright technique i dont use it much. i just bar chords like the normal way
Quote by SG thrasher
Pfft, hippy.

I normally dont play the root as i've already got the bassist handling that. It gives me more freedom to add embellishments to chords and hammeron and pulloff within chords. Listen to Little Wing (by Hendrix but listen to the SRV version as well) and you'll get an idea about using your thumb to play notes.
My Gear :

Guitar:
Squier '51 (Dimarzio PAF Pro) (10-52s)
Roland Cube 15
Behringer X-V-Amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DS-1 (modded)

Bass:
Yamaha RBX270 (55-110s)
Behringer BXL900
EHX Bass Balls Pedal
EHX Big Muff Pi Pedal