I was looking at two esp guitar ( KH-203 and EC 400) and i noticed that the ec 400 is 100 quid more expensive and the only difference is the pickups. The KH has passive EMG-HZ H-4 pickups and the EC has EMG-81 active set pickups. What is the differences between active and passive pickups, and is it worth the extra £100???
Worth it? Yep. A single EMG pickup from a normal guitar shop costs around £90.
My gear:

Gibson Gothic Flying V
Engl Screamer Combo
Maxon OD-9
Squier 10w amp
Active pickups need thier own power supply (a 9 volt battery), but they have a lot more output , which can be useful. However, they sound crap without a good tube amp.

The one you choose is a matter of prefernce. If you're looking for sound samples of each, let's say Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammet use EMG 81's, and Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) uses Hz's.
You are by far better off getting the EC-400. The KH-203 is the worse of Kirks Sig Guitars.

KH-203
It has a licensed trem, Passive EMGs, its a bolt on, made of Basswood.

EC-400
Gotoh Bridge, Sperzel Locking tuners, EMG 81/60 i believe, Mahogany, Set Neck.

Clearly the EC-400 is a much better guitar
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by sgwielder
kk, im gettin a good tube amp before i get the guitar ( the EC apparently) so thats cool, thx for the help

what tube amp
Quote by sashki
Active pickups need thier own power supply (a 9 volt battery), but they have a lot more output , which can be useful. However, they sound crap without a good tube amp.

The one you choose is a matter of prefernce. If you're looking for sound samples of each, let's say Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammet use EMG 81's, and Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom) uses Hz's.

yes but alexi also has a gain boost in his guitar, thats why he uses hz's
Quote by sashki

no no no.,...alexis SIG MODEL comes with hz's...thats not what HE uses.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
yeah alexi uses hz emg's because he has a gainbooster on his guitar or amp ( i forgot which one) and he uses a lot of gain on his amps so it would all sound like fuzz if he has active emg's in his guitar.
are you sure? i heard that esp put hz's in the LTD model of his...sorry, i havent checked the esp site in a while.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
yes they put hz's in the ltd and esp models. but im not shur if the put the gainbooster in ther. but if he had emg actives in there it would just make alotta feekback cause of the booster