hi again all,

recently i bought a chepo "kimbara" strat style electric guitar at local antiques auction for £50, and i think it is fairly old as it has the old style comedy fender head stock, something which being a strat copy is likely to be a copy of the current make of strat. anyhow enough of that. it had 3 or 4 dings which went right down to the wood, so i stripped off all the paint down to the wood filled the holes and have sanded it down, but not completely smoothed it yet, as i don't intend to paint it straight away as i need help from you guys first. i think from looking at this website

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

that the body is either alder or basswood, but i am not sure, i can post pics if that would help. basically i was wondering if someone could make or give me a link to some kind of "idiots guide to painting guitars", to achieve a new guitar "shiny" finish, and should the guitar be buffed after laquer has been applied? Bbearing in mind that i don't have sanding machines or spray paint machines, or any of that jazz, i am just a man in a garage with a sanding block and probably using car spray paints

any help you could give would be great

Thanks

Mike.
i don't want to sound like a cheap skate, but i know that i will, but are there any free guides + the fact that i live in the U.K so actually getting hold of one of these books is going to be quite tricky, or have i misunderstood?
Wont trust that site.
The picture down, "This is not a Gibson Zakk Wylde Bullseye, its a Lotus Les Paul copy"
-> guitars for 50 Dollar dont have goldened parts
-> guitars for 50 Dollar dont have those Pickups
-> I dont know any Lotus, where "Gibson" stands on the neck

\\>Viva Los Tioz<//
The people on that site lie!

look on the ... thing that i forgot the name of it CLEARLY says Gibson
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
about the gibson, you can easily get a decal that says gibson off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Guitar-Diverse-Headstock-Decal-GIBSON_W0QQitemZ150004832699QQihZ005QQcategoryZ7266QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And you can get the bridge and stuff off ebay for cheap

I do believe his site is real. Even though I havent bought one of this books, Ive painted my old strat with spray paint and it has turned out really nice.
MUSIC ROCKS!
Last edited by Undesiredshoe at Jul 8, 2006,
Well now i just feel stupid .. YOU HAPPY?!
Quote by bananahammock
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
and to sebo, those are emg selects, they are passive, not the actice pickups that cost 100 bucks each.

Emg selects sets can be had for cheap on ebay.

So if it is a real Gibson les paul, he wouldve been a retard to switch out the awesome emgs for emg selects
MUSIC ROCKS!
Yeah i suppose its cool.
Quote by bananahammock
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
well thanks guys, even if at parts it was a bit off topic, i looked at the projectguitar.com link and found on it this link

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar01.html

which is almost exactly what i am looking for, in so much as it tells you how to apply laquer properly, however, he stained his guitar, and i intened on painting mine yellow, so a tutorial for doing painting not staing, but in an easy to follow way like the above link would be great if anyone knows of one?

Mike