ok im not a rich man, and even saving up £300 is huge money for me (im only 13). Now like many of u already know im thinking of getting an epiphone SG iommi, now cause im a lefty i cant play em very much.

I went into the guitar shop and try just a standard epi SG, it sounded flat, then i tried a second hand gibson SG faded, and the sound was so much more adatable, i liked it alot more. So i was wondering, shal i get a epiphone iommi, or save for like 3 years and get a gibson? ive seen a second hand gibson SG on ebay for about £450. Which isnt bad i suppose, just need advise, How much different is the gibson to the iommi epi? Considering i dont really care about name, and the iommi has gibson pickups on.
im looking at buying this guitar to last me for a life time, so 2 years maybe ill wait, but anymore i couldnt resist, anyway its quality im worried about. Has anyone got both? And is the iommi mohogony
Last edited by Varkunus at Jul 8, 2006,
i wouldnt wait for the gibson, rember epis are just gibsons that dont have "gibson" stampted on them, gibsons are WAY overpriced too, it only costs them $300(US) to make a les paul... that sells for $2000 (US). get the epi, just find one you like before you buy it.
Quote by Varkunus
im looking at buying this guitar to last me for a life time, so 2 years maybe ill wait, but anymore i couldnt resist, anyway its quality im worried about. Has anyone got both? And is the iommi mohogony

id be serious with you now. you dont need to have a gibson so young. cos soon your going to be bashing the guitar into things so you want to break something that can be easily bought rather something that took 3 years to save up for. not too mention that 3 years is longs its 156 weeks to be precise so if your willing to do it then do it but do you know your going to be using it all the time
haven't got both, but try and play the iommi sg, to see if you like it.

Its a wise thing to not care about names, 'cos most of the time, you're paying for the name, and it isn't worth it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
problem is, cause im left handed, unless im definately gona buy a guitar, they wont order em in. Anyone ot a recording of the iommi?
the Epiphone Tony Iommi left handed SG is an awesome guitar. the only reason i got a les paul instead is because SG's are top-heavy and it did my head in
originally posted by Shoestick
Holy hell, that is the primest example of a rambling idiot trying to sound intelligent Ive ever seen, and I just sat through four years of Bush!
In all fairness, I think the Iommi is a waste of money for the pure fact it hasn't got the John Birch pickups put in it. Don't buy based on anothers soundclips, its an awful way to choose something, the determinants vary so much, from the fingers, to the amp, from the mic to the recording software etc. It will never sound the same as in your own hands.

If you've played the Epiphone models and didn't like em, don't bother buying them. Its a pointless task, you wouldn't order something in a resturant if you knew you didn't like it so why do the same with a guitar? I think you're onto something with the used Gibson model and if I were you, I'd go for the used Gibson. Its what you've played, its what you like. If you look hard enough used you can pick up a Special model for under £400.

Granted not every guitar is the same, they are all different but really you could have made your mind up before you logged on here in my opinion. Its clear which one you want.

Take your time, don't rush into buying something you may regret later on.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
rember epis are just gibsons that dont have "gibson" stampted on them

how fucking naive can you be, the is a HUGE different between epiphones and Gibsons, and i mean HUGE...

Gibsons are overpriced a bit, but i have Gibson LP standard and an Epiphone LP Standard, and the difference is incredible...and i didnt choose the Gibson because it had Gibson on it, but because out of all the guitars i tried and tested in the guitar store, this guitar was the overall best....

so next time try to make at least an intelligent comment
I hate the SG Specials, but I love SGs in general. If I were you, go with the Iommi signature since it does have the same exact pickups as the Gibson Custom Shop one.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Iommi signature.

Sorry, but the Gibson SG Special Faded's are pretty bad guitars. I've tried them, and REALLY tried to like them, but just couldn't. They really seem like over-priced beginner guitars to me.

The Iommi Signature has better features than the SG Faded. Better pickups, MUCH better tuners, better finish. It also has the mahogany body and mahogany set neck that the SG faded has.

If it were me, I'd go for the Iommi sig.

As for the "Gibson vs. Epiphone" argument, Gibsons ARE obscenely overpriced. Of course a $400 Epiphone LP Standard won't sound like a $2200 Gibson LP Standard, but a $1100 Epi Elititst LP Standard DOES sound just like a $2200 Gibson LP Standard. Why? Because it's made of the same stuff. The difference; the Epi Elitist doesn't have "Gibson" on it's headstock.

Epiphone Elitists are all identical or nearly identical in specs to their Gibson counterparts. I've heard MANY people talk about how they've compared Elitists and their Gibson counterparts and the Elitist is BETTER.

Regular Epiphones won't compare to Gibson's that are five and a half times their price. They also won't compare to Elitists that are just a few hundred dollars more. That being said, they are still excellent guitars for the price.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
so would an SG elitist (if can get em) be better than an iommi? bearing in mind im left handed, and its limited
Have you played guitar before? id not, it does not matter if you play left or right handed. if you are left handed, you can learn to play right handed no problem.
Quote by lawlawl
you're 13 and you want a lifetime guitar? you've got to be kidding me

i got my LP Black Beauty at 14, so its not that unrealistic

Quote by quinny1089
how ****ing naive can you be, the is a HUGE different between epiphones and Gibsons, and i mean HUGE...

Gibsons are overpriced a bit, but i have Gibson LP standard and an Epiphone LP Standard, and the difference is incredible...and i didnt choose the Gibson because it had Gibson on it, but because out of all the guitars i tried and tested in the guitar store, this guitar was the overall best....

so next time try to make at least an intelligent comment

at least someone other than me feels this way.

its worth it to save up the money. its a good feeling knowing you have a great guitar that will last you the rest of your life. I saved up for nearly a year and a half and researched LPs almost every day before I got mine. If youre willing to stick it out and save up for a while, then go for it. you won't be disappointed when you buy your Gibson, no matter what people try to tell you.

EDIT:
Quote by Xenn99
I've heard MANY people talk about how they've compared Elitists and their Gibson counterparts and the Elitist is BETTER.

im not trying to be a dick and create an argument, im just asking... have you ever tried both the gibson and the elitist for yourself?
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Last edited by ScreaminBlues25 at Jul 8, 2006,
I'm with TedZilla and quinny1089 but I'm also assuming that you currently have a guitar to tide you over while you wait and save for the guitar that you truly love. If this is going to be your first guitar, I recommend that you get one that you kinda like so at least you'll get to practice.

I started playing about 2 years ago, when I was 12, and my first was almost a collectible ... a MIJ Squier Strat, and the second was a Gibson 61 RI SG.

Getting a guitar that feels right, in addition to getting the right tone, is very important. You won't play it a lot if it feels wrong, even if it has the best tone.

As mentioned above, the more expensive Gibson LP's sound may be approximated by the high-end Epi LPs but the feel, overall quality, looks, etc. will be more obvious if you played them side-by-side.

If you don't have a guitar now, don't wait 3 years.
Last edited by Ippon at Jul 8, 2006,
i am currently working at a guitar shop and I play the Iommi regularly because I have to clean it alot cos people try it all the time, and I have to say, the build quality is ok, but not that great, it looks good, but feels a teeensy bit cheap.
however i still think you should get that instead of wait for a gibson, because IMO, and this might be a personal thing, i dont like gibsons temperament, in their guitars and their marketing. Also the Iommi isnt a bad guitar, just not the best. Get it.
hope that helps, maybe?
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
definetley go for the gibson

i was goin to get the iommi, but i decided to wait a little while more the special faded sg and it was a great move, the gibson is definetley worth it

GET THE GIBSON
CTHC
Quote by lawlawl
you're 13 and you want a lifetime guitar? you've got to be kidding me

im 13 too, i got the gibson
CTHC
Quote by BreakingTheGirl
im 13 too, i got the gibson

same here only i was 14

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
ok, well when i just tryed the epi standard SGs the felt cheap and almost plasticy, cant describe it, just wondering if the iommi was any different.

And yes ive been playing 4 years with a fender squire, and im pretty good for my age. I would rather save and get like the exact guitar i want rather than, buy a guitar then in like 5 years when im grown up go, god i want another one. I would rather have that other on now, and save for it.
also or should i just get another make completely that has price of epihphone and build quality of gibson? or is that just fantacy. Anyway thx for all ur help so far, still need more loads, more
Quote by Varkunus
also or should i just get another make completely that has price of epihphone and build quality of gibson? or is that just fantacy. Anyway thx for all ur help so far, still need more loads, more

well IMO the "build quality of gibson" part isnt achievable with an epiphone. but im sure there are plenty of people here who will disagree with me... (people please note that this is an opinion and dont try to bash me like i have been in numerous other threads when discussing the gibson v. epiphone subject...)

save up for the gibson.. it will be worth the wait. like you said, its gonna be better to save for a while and get your money's worth. if you keep buying OK guitars instead of a really nice guitar, youre gonna constantly feel the need to upgrade. it doesnt even have to be a gibson that you save up for. you might find that you like a high-end strat or an ESP or something. the point is, invest your money into one really nice guitar that youll be happy with instead of a bunch of cheaper guitars that youre gonna want to upgrade all the time

Quote by richwatkinson
this might be a stupid question but whats the diffrence between the sg special and standard (besides price)
If you already have a guitar, save up and get what you really want. If not, get SOMETHING, ANY guitar is better than NO guitar
ok, most of the money is for the name, the only difference is epi's are assybled by korean hands instead of american hands. 2000 to 350. take your pick, just put new humbuckers in it like dimarzio's, itll sound fine. and that is right...you cant want a lifetime guiar at 13, people always upgrade. about every 5 or 6 years you'll want to try something new. and itll prly break. id your 13 by the time your 16 the guitar'll prly be screwed up from you jumping up and down and swingin it and bumpin it on stuff and settin it on fire and hittin people with it. you'll get crazy if you join a band. go for the epi so you can band it up a little, then get the gibson and be careful with it. if i got the gibson id be scared to play it b/c id scratch it or something. thats y gibson offers epi's.