i have a problem..I've really wanted to learn how to slap/pop, and tap. But the problem is, i just can't seem to learn from written lessons...like the ones on this site, i never know if i'm doing it right. Can anyone recommend a good place on the internet to find really well put together instructional videos in this aspect? I would appreciate the help.
-thanks

p.s. i know i could just go buy an instructioal video, but when your broke...all you got is ur internet.
they arent exactly "well put together" lessons but tbh... http://www.youtube.com

just search slap bass or whatever and watch the proffesionals (theres a lot of crap on there but it's easy to find pro musicians) just watch what they do, that's how i learnt
Originally posted by Liamy
I kicked a puppy before, but only because it was really annoying.
Its pretty simple.

Slap: WHACK them strings with your thumb.

Pop: Pull the string as far off the fretboard as you can and let go
You know the bitter comes out better on a stolen guitar
You're the BLESSED, we're the Spiders from Mars!

Member 3 of the "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub. PM ThePurpleRabbit to join.
The purpose of popping is not to pull the string as far as you can. That is a way much more prone to breaking strings. Any distance away from the fretboard to give the note a "snap" sound when the string is released is fine. It is also advisable to not lodge your finger very far under the string.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
If you want to get good at that sort of thing you should really try a reccomended guitar teacher in your area who deals with that style.I'm sure you'll find there's loads of em.Or at least try a few lessons and then observe your progress.I personally dont understand how you can learn to play any instrument (well)without a teacher
Quote by mrfrusciante
If you want to get good at that sort of thing you should really try a reccomended guitar teacher in your area who deals with that style.I'm sure you'll find there's loads of em.Or at least try a few lessons and then observe your progress.I personally dont understand how you can learn to play any instrument (well)without a teacher

Learning slap from anyone (doesn't even have to be a pro teacher) who can sit down with you and just show you the tech face to face, will dramatically decrease the time you'd otherwise need to get it. I tried for weeks and got nowhere, one day down the music shop, me and an assistant were just messing around on basses, he showed me take the power back, and i had the basics of slap down that evening.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
i had that FLEA DVD, no one was there helpin me......................
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
It's not that you cannot learn without a teacher, it's just that a) you develop bad technique and b) it takes double the time. Reason is because no one is there to tell you you are doing it wrong... And quite frankly, most people on here have no idea, they are just getting told by other people on the internet and the bad technique gets spread around ! No disprespect to anyone here, but how many have actually been taught by a professional bass tutor over a number of years?
Quote by Applehead
It's not that you cannot learn without a teacher, it's just that a) you develop bad technique and b) it takes double the time. Reason is because no one is there to tell you you are doing it wrong... And quite frankly, most people on here have no idea, they are just getting told by other people on the internet and the bad technique gets spread around ! No disprespect to anyone here, but how many have actually been taught by a professional bass tutor over a number of years?

As i said in my post, i was taught slap (allbeit briefly) from a guy in a shop that i was jamming with- i'd spent a few weeks not getting anywhere at home using the net, 10 minutes with a guy showing you the positions/movements, and i was at home practicing some basic lines that evening. I had a teacher for a while, but he really wasn't teaching me anything (besides scales, which was very handy), it was basically me paying to sit and practice with some guy, so i stopped and just went from there.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Sounds like a **** teacher. I find with music tuition that if you have a lesson every week it's not half as beneficia as fortnightly lessons, or at a higher level even monthly. This way, your lesson is intense and you have enough time to practice what was taught to you.. weekly lessons seem too much, or at least they did for me..

even people who have been self-taught for a few years should go and get a teacher to check their style, technique and to learn some new things.. you never stop learning!