I've looked at several different amps including: Peavey 5150/6505 combo, Mesa Dual Rect., Peavey XXX. FIrstly, if I'm going to be using this amp for home use, and eventually in a band and possibly small gigs, should I get a tube combo or a head and cab? I play metal/nu metal, and I am planning to upgrade my pups to an EMG 81/60 combination. The amp needs to have great distortion and decent/good cleans for songs such as Nothing Else Matters, Stairway to Heaven etc. Some tones I am looking for are Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Korn, Mudvayne, and maybe a little bit of classic rock/grunge. My budget is around $1500 maybe up to 1700 if I can push it. What would be the best amp for me? THanks.
epiphone valve junior no doubt.

but on a serious note, try to get a 5150, but a 6505 will do if u cant get it
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
as far as the cleans go, they are right in the middle not too good but usable. and for home use and small gigs, i think a combo shud do.

but dont take my word for it, try to test one out
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
If you're lucky you might be able to find a Rivera Knucklehead combo, but idk if even a used one would fit your budget. The XXX or 5150 is probably the best bet, I have the 5150 2x12 and it's a great amp. The cleans are meh but you can fiddle with them and chorus it to make it sound good. I would stay away from the mesa unless you want to try to find a Rect-o-Verb, a dual would be too loud if you're a bedroom warrior. You could maybe get a single solo head and a 2x12 or 4x12 but unless you are going to be in a band or a jam situation in less than like a month I wouldn't get any Mesa's unless it's the rect-o-verb.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
you could get an ENGL powerball (used) and a carvin legacy cab. it's pretty bright sounding. really tight to. more gain than any other amp ever. note, there is no reverb though. VERY versitile.

peavey 5150 would be great if you want a dark, full and chunky tone. very agressive sounding. you could get one used for under a grand and get a sweet cab. maybe an uberkab even.

mesa dual recto will be more refined sounding, LOTS of bass. active eq you so really have to tweak it. not much pre-amp gain, you have to really turn it up to get the power amp going and the thing sounding good. i wouldn't recomend this for home practice.

mesa mark IV, sounds like a tighter 5150. could get really confusing, theres about 90 controlls and switches. VERY VERY versitile.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
He can't get a Powerball, he could probably swing the Mark combo though. I forgot to say anything about the mark IV in my post , I just got to try one of these out and it's amazing, I spent at least 4 or 5 hours with it, if you like to mess with knobs and buttons and tweek then this is an AMAZING amp.
cody: he can get a powerball, they go for around $1100 used.

pierce, it depends weather you're talking old or new metallica. they're tone started getting dark around m.o.p., but the new album is very dark sounding. slayer is bright, nu-metal bands are dark.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Is there an amp that can be adjusted to be both bright and dark, I guess leaned a little more towards dark, but I also like Pre- MOP and I love pantera and slayer which are bright, so I guess I need something that will be able to be eq'd to be both bright and dark if that makes any sense.
Quote by gpderek09
cody: he can get a powerball, they go for around $1100 used

I want to come where you shop , I've never seen a Powerball go for less than 1250 on Ebay. There is one up now for 1200 and a Legacy for 400 even then with shipping and stuff it would be around 1800 and that's IF no one else bids on them.

The Mark IV is really worth a try, it can do anything including make you breakfast in bed

8000th edit YEA, if you can stretch the PB it would probably be worth it, from what you're asking for the powerball can probably nail no problem.
Last edited by CodySG at Jul 8, 2006,
^ i was talking about ebay.

i saw one go for $775 once. i was like O_o
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

A PB for 775!!!!!! Who needs college anyway....
it didn't have the footswitch with it though. i think thats why. since the z-5 is like $400

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

There was a Z-5 on Ebay awhile ago for like $125 BIN, if only I had the head to go with it
Can the 5150 be adjusted so that it's not overly bright or dark so that I'll be able to play all types of metal, Slayer, Pantera, nu metal, and both new and old metallica, etc. ? And how are the cleans on the Powerball, if it is the ultimate amp for metal but also has good cleans, then maybe I'll be able to stretch my budget, although I haven't seen a lot of them on eBay.
powerball will be able to do metal with out any sort of adjustment.

the cleans on the powerball pwn.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ are you serious?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

well, hope says the powerball is uber picky on cabs. and reacts well with the bogner uberkab, engl XXL, and genz benz g-flex. the g-flex is the cheapest so i'd find a used one of those.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
^ are you serious?

No.

And I agree with Powerball suggestion.
i was about to say

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

i would say the JSX combo.

i have the head, and it does dark, and bright sounds quite well.
if you want a crazy pantera, it will do it (makes me with i had a guitar with a trem)
and it has a nice MOP metallica sound.

not to mention cleans are awesome. think joe satriani, and you got it
Quote by gpderek09
i was about to say

The two Valve Jr's sound great running with a stereo chorus pedal with volume at about 1 o'clock, but not for metal.
Honestly, I don't know if the powerball is the best amp for you. Great metal amp sure, but it is pretty bright. I would at least go to rocksolidamps.com and listen to the sound clips there first. The powerball has a pretty bright sound with a nice tight dist and plenty of attack so you might like it, but then again you might like something else too. Even though it's not in your budget, I would look at some other amps too like maybe a Framus Cobra or something along those lines.
^ I've reconsidered and I also agree that the Powerball is 1) too expensive for me, especially with having to get a nice cab since it's apparently sensitive to certain cabs and 2) i agree i think it may be too bright for the stuff I like. I'm really interested in the Mark IV which has said to be ideal for metal and thrash. Do you know anything about it's metal tone abilities and also how the cleans are and whether they could be really good if I used a chorus pedal?
The cleans are great on the Mk.IV, hell everything is great on the Mk IV! Keep in mind that it only has one high gain channel, that's the only thing that kept me from getting one.
Mark IV=Jizztastic Like I said I played it for awhile and, lucky for me, a guy working at the store owned one and played metal so he knew some nice settings for me. The cleans are great, it can get a PERFECT thrash tone and a very very nice metal tone. I loved it, the main thing for me is since it is so finiky(sp?) I'm going going after one until maybe my second head. But I think it's perfect for what you want, since you want a lot of things and the Mark IV can do them all, perfect investment.
Mark IV=Jizztastic Like I said I played it for awhile and, lucky for me, a guy working at the store owned one and played metal so he knew some nice settings for me. The cleans are great, it can get a PERFECT thrash tone and a very very nice metal tone. I loved it, the main thing for me is since it is so finiky(sp?) I'm going going after one until maybe my second head. But I think it's perfect for what you want, since you want a lot of things and the Mark IV can do them all, perfect investment.

Thanks, I'm glad I didn't put all that money towards a Dual rec or a powerball when they weren't what I was really looking for. The main thing that I was concerned about with the Mark IV was it's metal abilities, but clearly there is nothing I need to be worried about with it. Thanks again Cody
No problem, also if/when you get a Mark IV you might check out Grailtone.com, I think they have some Mark IV settings.