my amps been making these weird noises...this constant buzzing...really messes up the sound when i switch on distortion...the buzzing lowers when i'm touching a metallic part of the guitar or the amp and gets louder again when i let go...its a fender princeton 65watt...a friend of mine suggested it needs recoiling...said that i either bumped it somewhere or prolly its just gotten old or something...my question is.......what IS recoiling? do people get their amps recoiled? if so why? and would it really solve this buzzing problem?
Amps use an electro magnet to produce sound. an electromagent is a coil of wire wraped round a piece of metal. when the coils of wire become loose the magnet becomes less powerful. This makes your amp make the buzzing noise. Your freinds right in it needing recoiling.
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Could always be a bad ground especially because it goes away when you touch a metallic part of the amp.
yeah the grounding problem's been suggested before...but how do i get around that?
How old is the amp?
And I kind of doubt it's a speaker issue.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
ummm...i dont really know...i bought it from a friend about a year ago...and i think he had it for about a year too...and he bought it from a friend who prolly had it for a year too :P... so yeah it could be 4 years old max...could be 5 too but no more than that...
try a different outlet, try a surge protector/powerstrip. it's a grounding problem.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
I was reading this and I've been having a simialr problem. When I play through my Traynor YCV50BLUE with my Strat (With Dimarzio humbuckers). I get a buzzing untill I touch something metallic. Is it possible that theres a grounding issue? How would I fix this, is it a problem with the amp or the guitar? I'm guessing its most likely the guitar since the amp is brand new.
grounding issues are more to do with the outlet. can be the guitar also. like i said i'd try a few other outlets first.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I tried changing outlets, and plugging directly into the outlet and I had no problem. When the ground is removed the problem actually gets worse, and does not go completely away when I press something metallic if that helps. I noticed on my guitar when I change pickups for about half a second there is no noise and then the noise starts, is that a sign that perhaps theres fault wiring in my guitars setup? What else might I want to check.
Quote by gpderek09
try a different outlet, try a surge protector/powerstrip. it's a grounding problem.

ummm whats a powerstrip? and by outlet you mean the socket right?
out let is socket yeah?

and idk, i'm gussing you have a different "lingo" for it than we do. um power strip = surge protector.

that big long strip that you can turn on off? with like 5 outlets in it?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have the same amp, and it buzzes like hell, but I think that's jsut because I have it cranked to about 8 a band practice.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
yeah i understand now what u mean by a powerstrip...im already using it...makes no difference
another thing ive noticed is that on certain days the buzzing is considerably less than on other days....wonder whats up with that
did you try other outlets?

it's basically the same thing for me. the outlet in my room isn't grounded properly so i get some buzz, more on some days.

anotherthing, is there a TV, computer, telephone, or any other electrical appliance next to you when playing? that can cause some buzz.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yeah theres a computer almost next to it in my room...but ive plugged it in several times at my neighbours place and the buzzing persists...and theres no tv or any electronic things in his room...ive tried different rooms at my place too...doesnt make even a tiny difference in the buzzing...just some days it makes less noise and other days more...Mr. Amp seems to go about its own buzz schedule...
should i try getting it recoiled? i dont trust the people here...what if they really **** it up...and its pretty expensive getting it recoiled too...
does it do it with his guitar?

does it do it with your guitar on his amp?
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

It should in no way need to be recoiled...whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. A 4 year old amp's speakers should be fine.

Does it hum without a guitar plugged in?
no the other guy doesnt have an amp...hence no electric guitar...

and yeah it hums even without the guitar plugged in...
So we've isolated the hum.

I had one of these amps. I had all kind of stuff wrong with it...it just wasn't very well made. See if you can return it for your money back or at least get a new one or a free service.

Sorry, I don't have much good news. My Princeton 650 started making weird clicking noises(right after the guarantee ran out) and so I just eBayed it for around 150 bucks.
as a future reference though, don't lean your guitar against the amp, pick ups facing it. i read somwhere that if they get to close, over time (long periods of time) it can throw things off.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

yeah ok thanks i'll keep that in mind...umm another thing...should i use a small vacuum cleaner to suck away the dirt in my guitar's volume knob? it crackles when i change the volume...someone told me its prolly dirty...so i thought i'd clean it up...
oh and can anyone suggest a website, if such exists, where i can get details about how an amp is wired and how it works? i figured i should try doing it on my own...
try unhooking your cable from the amp. not just your guitar from the cable? does it still do it? (sorry i didnt read anywhere that you specifed how you unplugged)
yup still does it...and i can pretty much tolerate the amount of buzzing i get in the clean channel...but **** man the drive channel is really annoying...i can hardly hear my guitar playing theres so much buzzing...and the more drive i give it the more buzzing i get!
actually its more of a muffled buzzing in the distortion channel, since the buzzing is being processed too along with the signals coming from the guitar...sort of a mixture of humming and buzzing....buts its clear and sharp buzzing in the clean channel...