So...I'm trying to find out the key of the intro-solo in the song Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Metallica.

Here's what I did:

-I wrote down all the notes in the solo. It had all the notes of the G major scale except one C#, but since there was only one C# in the solo, I counted it as an out-of-key note since "C" was used more often.

-It had all the notes of G major, and one accidental, but the solo sounded kind of sad and resolved to E so I wrote it down as E minor.

Did I do this right? Did I get the right key?

Thanks

-KR
as far as i can remember this solo is based around the chords so the modes are changing every bar, its starts off with an Em9th I think, cant remember but its all in a Gmaj/Em with a few accidentals thrown in.
I would say that it is E Aeolian/chromatic scale that he uses in this solo!
So...I'm trying to find out the key of the intro-solo in the song Welcome Home (Sanitarium) by Metallica.

Here's what I did:

-I wrote down all the notes in the solo. It had all the notes of the G major scale except one C#, but since there was only one C# in the solo, I counted it as an out-of-key note since "C" was used more often.

-It had all the notes of G major, and one accidental, but the solo sounded kind of sad and resolved to E so I wrote it down as E minor.

Did I do this right? Did I get the right key?

Thanks

-KR

as far as i can remember this solo is based around the chords so the modes are changing every bar, its starts off with an Em9th I think, cant remember but its all in a Gmaj/Em with a few accidentals thrown in.
I would say that it is E Aeolian/chromatic scale that he uses in this solo!

E minor is alright
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!